Profile for James > Reviews

How I Escaped My Certain Fate
How I Escaped My Certain Fate
by Stewart Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Repeat reading proves...?, 25 April 2011
I've started reading this book again: which means that either it is very, very good or I am a bit fick (or both).

Going Postal [DVD] (2010)
Going Postal [DVD] (2010)
Dvd ~ Richard Coyle

5.0 out of 5 stars It's always the same..., 23 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Going Postal [DVD] (2010) (DVD)
...as in devout fans of author and his/her books bemoan the fact that the film version just isn't the same, horrible distortions, characters with the wrong hair colour etc. etc.
The truth to be acknowledged is that it will NEVER be exactly like the book and the imaginative/unique collaboration of our minds and the words - asides, wit and all. The reaction of the Narnia reviewer (not a Pratchett reader or aficionado) is the one to read. For this person, the film works on its own terms - however frustratingly inaccurate, simplified or distorted it may be to the fan base; it did for me too and I am a fan - although it helps not to have a photographic memory of every detail in the book.

Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook 200 Slow Cooker Recipes
Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook 200 Slow Cooker Recipes
by Sara Lewis

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book but..., 14 Mar. 2010
I've got nothing against the recipes in this book; in fact, we have cooked many of them with great success and pleasure....because we had already bought Hamlyn's Ultimate Slow Cooker book also by Sara Lewis and most of its recipes are reproduced here! A mere oversight or a bit sneaky perhaps not to include the author's name in this book's title, so we purchased both when one (this one) would have done.

Trial by Battle: The Hundred Years War, Vol. 1: Trial by Battle v. 1
Trial by Battle: The Hundred Years War, Vol. 1: Trial by Battle v. 1
by Jonathan Sumption

4.0 out of 5 stars Editor Missing, 12 Jun. 2009
To pick up on the last reviewer's concerns, it is not just the first page. The book is littered with spelling and grammatical mistakes. That aside, the detail of all the war-like machinations is admirable, although personally I would have liked a bit more informed analysis (narrative though the book is meant to be).

Fragments Of Freedom
Fragments Of Freedom
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars it's fine - it's just different..., 9 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Fragments Of Freedom (Audio CD)
Some of the other reviews here are, well, po-faced and rather narrow in their perspective. It's pop, it's not hip/trip-hop, and it's good pop too. Relax.