Profile for J. Timmins > Reviews

Promise
Offered by thebookcommunity
Price: 13.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure it's quite as good as their others, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Promise (Audio CD)
To be fair I need to listen to it more, I mainly bought it just to complete the collection. The initial quick impressions were it's as good as the rest almost. Although the album I like most these days is Red which is quite a lot different to the much earlier works.

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: Book II: The Hidden Gallery (Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place (Quality))
by Maryrose Wood
Price: 3.74

4.0 out of 5 stars they get better, 11 Dec 2012
An improvement over the first one making so glad to have stuck to them. So excited waiting for the third in paperback in January. Just hoping some things start to get answered rather than just more mysteries or it could turn frustrating.

More exciting, varied and involving than the first.

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
Price: 4.63

4.0 out of 5 stars minor flaws but compelling, 11 Dec 2012
It made me keen to get back running. Reminded me of why I like to run (injuries blighting my recently). So I found it motivated me.

The dropped star is down to slight criticism of the style (would have made it a half). But it's a good book and I have recommended it to friends who are already enjoying it. Specifically for me it read sometimes a little staccato and eventually I tired of the recipes which is a contention because it probably would convey Scott Jurek as well without them all.

Vivobarefoot Men's Breezy Lite M BR Mesh Light Grey/Red Trainer VB220030MGRYRED 12 UK, 46 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars best road shoe since the Feelmax Osma for me, 15 Nov 2012
My toes aren't perfectly straight so lots of other shoes I've tried end up taking the skin of the tops of my toes in varying degrees and sometimes in other places. This has been true of the Vivobarefoot Evo (severe and unable to run in them but great as casual shoe), Inov-8 Bare-X 200 (not a toe problem I have to be careful with the position of the tongue or get ankle chafe), Merrell Trail Glove to a moderate level so I can manage about 10k and last and least rub the NB MT00 Minimus Trail (10-20k).

Other shoes like the Inov-8 Baregrip and New Balance Minus MT00 I find are a bit too snug so even a size or two up feel snug. The Breezy have a great wide toe box, low cut around the ankle joints and a fully secured tongue to all the way up. So they are spacious, have nothing to rub my toes at the end.

The sole is a smaller hexagon than the Evo. There's a lot of good flex to fit the road surface but the hexagons give good point protection from sharps like stones. Feel wise FiveFingers still beat them but some routes round me are so stony I like the extra protection.

The only shoe I've found as comfortable was the original Feelmax Osma. Plus the cut down price I paid made them feel like great value.

The Truth about Love [2CD Deluxe Edition]
The Truth about Love [2CD Deluxe Edition]
Offered by Popcorn and Candy
Price: 22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars not her very best but still distinctly Pink, 12 Oct 2012
It's got some stand out moments and it is very much Pink's arena/style but for me it's not quite as great as some of her previous. Perhaps with more listens it will become more coherent as a whole but that's currently for me perhaps the weakness.

One minor criticism is that it is so much Pink. Stupid I know having said I like it because it's her style. But it makes me hope she'll find some way to move on a little style wise with the next album whilst hoping she won't. In short my meaning there is that some parts of the album sound very similar to what has come before.

Summary, if you like Pink you can expect to think highly of this.

Stages
Stages
Offered by Side Two
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars a lot of Mel to be heard, 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: Stages (Audio CD)
It's as good as the best she has done but obviously different because it's not new music. I really like it and the guest appearance from Emma B made me appreciate how good a voice she has too.

The big weakness for people would be if they are huge fans of the originals of any of the tracks because it is always hard to expect or think of someone doing it better and Mel probably doesn't but if you like her style and personality that's what you get. That you hear so much of Mel is for me its strongest factor; as much as I enjoy her contemporary pop she can get over shadowed by the music which doesn't happen here.

The Global Minotaur: America, The True Origins of the Financial Crisis and the Future of the World Economy - Economic Controversies
by Yanis Varoufakis

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 3 Aug 2012
I'm getting a lot from it that I didn't know but the author's style's a bit loose (not the most precise analogies or examples/comparisons) and it's probably less crisp in style and detailed than I'd have liked. But it's a book for the none expert market and as such is a good starting point. I've not finished it yet to comment properly on the conclusions.

Vtech InnoTab (Blue)
Vtech InnoTab (Blue)

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy, 4 Feb 2012
This review is from: Vtech InnoTab (Blue) (Toy)
The good, it's a nice size with grippy bits for youngsters to handle. It's a little slow but seems responsive and the 6 year old who it was bought for enjoys it. The sounds decent, touch screen works OK and the pictures reasonable.

The bad (a lot longer list).

It's not clear on the surface stuff about it that it only supports Windows or Apple. Until you come to try and install the required interface software you don't see that where they say PC actually means PC running Windows.

This points to the fact that it's a lock in device. You are not able to create content (applications) for it or get them on any other way than there interface application. Minor good point here would be it means children can't use them beyond a limit and you could argue that's safer. You can't even get the free stuff on to it without using the software. I don't like devices that you can't just plug into a computer and treat as a storage device to just drag and drop things on to.

It eats batteries, you really can't run it on anything but mains or rechargeable batteries. And I'd bet with solid use you will need a change of battery always on charge.

The SD card is not convenient, it's in the battery compartment so you can't even use that as an easy way to get music and pictures on to it for your child to use.

Basically my opinion of the device is it's an expensive waste of money and the gap from this to a cheap tablet is best bridged if you can afford it. There are plenty of educational sites that you can access via such a tablet and you can be sure of getting stuff on and off one of those easily as an example of the advantage.

And the six year old using this device was just as comfortable on such a tablet that I watched them using.

Overall don't buy and definitely don't buy if you believe in open products or use Linux as your operating system.

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Op 109, 110 & 111
Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Op 109, 110 & 111
Price: 9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 24 Jan 2011
Musically and performance wise it's great. It's quite a quiet set though so needs a quiet house and a bit more volume than I normally get to play music. Not one I can play in the car.

Try This [CD + DVD]
Try This [CD + DVD]
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.82

3.0 out of 5 stars Love all her other stuff way more, 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: Try This [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I didn't expect much from this so it met the expectation. It's fine, some bits are good but it's not as well produced or distinct as her subsequent stuff which I rate much higher (generally fives). This was really a purchase for completeness. So as an item of history you can see where she's coming from.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3