Profile for Marcus Roberts > Reviews

Content by Marcus Roberts

Marcus Roberts

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Super-Advanced High Zoom Camera (18.2MP, 20x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent travel camera in every respect, 23 July 2012
I love the iPhones ability to tag photos with a GPS location so I started to look at travel cameras with this ability. I agonised for ages over choosing the HX20 or the Panasonic TZ20 because all my other cameras are Lumix. In the end I chose the HX20 because the reviews said it produced a superior image quality, even though the camera is a little larger than the TZ20 and I was looking for something pocket sized to always have with me.

After a week driving around Iceland and taking pictures, I've come home ready to pack my DSLR up and sell it. The winning features for me are the amazing 20 x zoom in such a small form factor, and the in-camera processing of the pictures on the IA+ mode, plus the excellent picture quality. Whilst I had both my DSLR and this camera with me for the whole holiday, this was the camera I reached for when it was time to take a picture. I've come to realise I'm not a "photographer" who wants to take a tripod and large selection of lenses with me, and then spend hours in photoshop afterwards. What I want is a camera that has a wide angle for scenery shots (and the sweep panorama mode makes this even better), a zoom for those moments when I suddenly see wildlife I want to take a snap of, and one which delivers photos that's don't need work in Photoshop afterwards. I know the images I get aren't as good as the ones that come from my DSLR, but it does mean my pictures of wildlife have the animal in the whole frame, rather than being a dot in the distance, I can capture the sweep of panoramas, and the image quality for me is still excellent. My photos are only seen on my computer or iPad anyway, so the quality is already better than I need.

The HX20 delivers all of this in a very small sized camera you can carry everywhere with you. Throw in GPS tagging, GPS logging and loads of other excellent features, and this is an amazing travel camera, and now for me, my main camera.