Profile for Dale Hudson > Reviews

Content by Dale Hudson

Dale Hudson (Leicester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater
Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater
Price: 21.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater (Accessory)
Purchased this as the router in my building is upstairs and I was barely getting any signal. I plugged this in near the router and it turned red, then yellow. Pressed the WPS button on a Talk Talk router then pressed the button on the repeater. It flashed yellow for around 45 seconds, then went green. Unplugged, plugged it back in downstairs and it was red for 30 seconds, then flashed yellow again, then green. Connected to "Repeater" on my PC, which then connected it to the router. Now "Repeater doesn't show on my Wifi connections list, it just automatically connects to the SSID of the router, which now has four bars of signal as opposed to the one bar it had before. It was really simply and I'm definitely happy with it. HD videos load quickly with no buffering at all (so far). Before it would have taken hours just to load one normal video. Would definitely recommend.

Count of Monte Cristo, The (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection)
Count of Monte Cristo, The (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection)
by Alexandre Dumas
Edition: Leather Bound
Price: 17.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, shame about the cover quality, 15 Feb 2013
I've collected several of these Barnes and Noble Leatherbound editions, and while they're all beautiful books, each have their fallbacks. With this particular book I've noticed some slight wear to the cover, which has a kind of golden printing over blue leather. After some slight use I've noticed that little bits of gold have started to come off the book. I read about this in other reviews and so endeavoured not to touch the cover much with my hands, instead letting it rest on something else as I read it. This appears to have done little good as I've noticed some flaking anyway. Other than this, it's a wonderful edition, despite, as with other books in this leatherbound series, the odd typo.

Little Shop of Horrors: Director's Cut [Blu-ray] [1986] [US Import] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Bill Murray
Offered by Moref Designs
Price: 18.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic, 15 Feb 2013
At last, the unreleased, much talked about original ending to Little Shop of Horrors is available for the first time in full colour and sound quality as part of the full movie! This ending was hated by test audiences on the film's release for a few reasons (which I won't mention here for spoiler reasons). However, I firmly believe that this original 20 minute ending is far superior to the theatrical ending most of us have been seeing over the years. The media book itself is beautifully presented and has some wonderful pictures and the special features are a lovely bonus. You get the choice to watch either version of the movie through the menu. I thoroughly recommmend this to Little Shop of Horrors fans, and indeed, to fans of musicals in general! It's superb!

August DVB-T205 USB Freeview Tuner Stick - External PC TV Card with Digital (DVB-T) Television Receiver and PVR Style Recorder - Wintv Dongle Supported by Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP for Desktop and Laptop Computer
Offered by Daffodil UK
Price: 18.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as well as can be expected, 15 Feb 2013
I bought this product for use in a room I'm staying in in London for a few weeks. After reading that with Windows 7 it's just a case of plug and play and using with Windows Media Centre, I decided to give it a go. Had a bit of trouble finding channels with the aerial, so used the main antenna (a luxury I don't have in London) which did the trick. When plugging the included portable aerial back in, though, I found that Windows Media Centre still couldn't find the channels. I decided to then give the device's own software a try by sticking the disc in and installing it. Oddly, the software found all the main channels without need to plug in the main antenna, and seems to get a perfect signal if I stick the aerial (with its removable sucker holder) to the back of my laptop at a horizontal angle. I thought I'd try switching between the two programs - still, Windows Media Centre didn't find a signal, whereas the product's own software did for the exact same channels. My advice would be not to neglect the disc that comes with the product in favour of Windows, as I'm having a much better time with TotalMedia 3.5 than I am with Windows Media Centre. Although, I imagine different things will work better for different people.
Overall, I'm happy with it so far as works well enough and was reasonably priced.

Stupid And Contagious
Stupid And Contagious
by Caprice Crane
Price: 8.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Caprice Crane's debut novel is hilarious and charming., 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: Stupid And Contagious (Paperback)
Anyone familiar with Caprice Crane on the Twitterverse probably already knows that she is witty and hilarious. Indeed, her tweets liven up many a dull timeline. It was for this reason I decided to check out her first novel, Stupid and Contagious, and rest assured, she is just as hilarious in thousands of words as she is in 140 characters or less. The book itself is written from two viewpoints, one from the feisty Heaven and the other from her new neighbour, Brady. Heaven is the failed PR executive working as a waitress to make ends meet, treating the reader to comedic gems such as "magic coffee". Brady is a music producer but wants to pitch his idea of Cinnamilk to Starbucks. What follows is the back-and-forth narrative of two people who at first appear to be complete opposites, before slowly warming to each other. The book itself is anything but your typical chick-lit, with Crane providing a story that is not only funny, but smart and charming. I laughed out loud to this book on several occasions and was genuinely gutted when I got to the end. I highly recommend this book to anyone who's looking for a good chuckle, and definitely to any fans of Crane herself.

15"- 15.6" (inch) LAPTOP SLEEVE WITH HANDLE AND STRAP CARRY CASE POUCH BAG NEOPRENE FOR NOTEBOOKS/LAPTOPS ZIPPED

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after one month., 12 Nov 2012
Bought this for a friend for his birthday as he loved the design. At first it seemed like a good deal and appeared strong enough. After one month of use, my friend informed me today that both sides of the bag suddenly broke off, sending his laptop crashing to the ground in the middle of the street. He told me he only ever carried his laptop in it, and not very often. The drop resulted in his laptop screen breaking. Needless to say, he was wasn't very happy, and neither am I. Waste of money.

H.P. Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics) (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection)
by H.P. Lovecraft
Price: 21.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite leather, but a wonderful edition., 30 Sep 2012
I'm new to H.P. Lovecraft and when scouring the web for recommendations on decent psychological horror, numerous sites and blogs pointed me to this celebrated author. On searching Amazon UK, the first page of results pointed me to this particular Barnes and Noble edition and I bought it. It arrived well packaged - there were no scuffs or marks or squashed edges that I've read about on other websites, including Barnes and Noble's own. My only issue is that the book itself isn't leather and so I don't believe it should be listed as such. I don't actually mind as it's still a beautiful and strong edition, and the paper isn't too thin, but some may find this misleading.
After some browsing I discovered that the first edition of this particular collection was filled with spelling errors and other typos. The edition I received is apparently the second edition, which gives thanks to Martin Andersson for his help in the preparation of texts. I bought my copy from Amazon in August 2012, so hopefully anyone else that orders it will presumably get the corrected edition too, however it does contain a
few typos still.
The stories themselves are wonderful, and as I've only read a few so far it would be foolish of me to rate them all, but I love what I've read so far and it was just the very thing I was looking for. If you're a fan of psychological horror, then this edition is for you.

Melancholia [Blu-ray] [2011]
Melancholia [Blu-ray] [2011]
Dvd ~ Kirsten Dunst
Price: 9.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful movie., 30 Jan 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this thought-provoking film. The visuals are stunning and the second half of the movie is a brilliant build-up to an unforgettable final scene. It's not for everyone, so if you're not a fan of extensive dialogue, then this may not be the movie for you, but if you're a fan of movies that engage the audience on a deeper level, or indeed of von Trier's other films, then give it a try!

SHERILYN FENN AS AUDREY HORNE FROM TWIN PEAKS #2 - COLOUR Movie Photo - LARGE wall POSTER Size Print - SIZE 25x20" (60x50cm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Peakies, 29 Nov 2010
This poster has been hanging on my wall for a couple of years now and it is one of my favourites! The picture on this page really doesn't do it justice. The quality is stunning and definitely worth the money. It's more like a giant luxury photograph than a poster and the picture itself is absolutely wonderful, conveying the charming, and sometimes awkward, relationship of Audrey Horne and Agent Cooper through simple glances and use of colour. And then there's the cherry pie and "damn fine cup of coffee". Highly recommended.

The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Nightmare Before Christmas
by Tim Burton

5.0 out of 5 stars Burton's best, 29 Nov 2010
Tim Burton's original poem is stunningly presented in this hardback edition alongside beautiful original illustrations. Those expecting a storybook that accompanies the film will be disappointed - as I mentioned, this is Burton's original poem and has nothing to do with the 1993 movie's storyline - so no Oogie Boogie, Sally, Dr. Finklestein... You get the idea. To me the book is worth it for the pictures alone and is a must for any Nightmare fan. Definitely worth more than the three stars another reviewer gave.

Page: 1 | 2