Profile for S. Luckhurst > Reviews

S. Luckhurst (UK)

Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 EZ Lens - Black
Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 EZ Lens - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little lens, 11 May 2014
I am a recent convert to a CSC camera coming from a semi-pro DSLR. This is a great little lens for travel which was my primary purpose for it. I have an OM-D E-M1 with a 12-40 f2.8 Pro lens on most of the time which is just a bit big for snapping on days out. As a comparison to the 12-40 f2.8 this lens is relatively soft focus-wise and lacks some contrast, especially indoors. Outside, in good light the difference is narrower and image quality is well in excess of any compact I have ever used. That is not surprising though as the two lenses are very different animals but I mention it for those considering these two lens options - if critical sharpness and high contrast are what you want so you can produce pro quality photos worthy of a magazine then this is not the lens for you. If your significant other complains that your camera is too big to lug about or you are looking for something to travel light with and you share your photos with friends (who are not pro photographers) and print an odd one off for the wall then it is a great choice. On an E-M1 the lens sticks out just a couple of millimetres further than the grip on the camera making it only a little bigger than a compact but with the ability to take photos you could happily use in high quality photobooks or to hang on your walls. Again that is something I have never managed happily from a compact but the results are pretty comparable to a DSLR with standard kit lens.

Expert Shield - THE Screen Protectors for: Olympus Cameras *Lifetime Guarantee* (Olympus OM-D E-M1/EM-10 Anti Glare Expert Shield)
Offered by Expert Shield

4.0 out of 5 stars Good protector. Good customer service., 11 May 2014
I have just fitted my second of these to an Olympus OM-D E-M1. The first would not stick at the extreme of two corners so I e-mailed customer service and received a replacement the next day with apologies and assurances this is very rare. The replacement fits well and sticks perfectly. I have the anti-glare model which I thought would have an anti-reflective coating like a lens, however it is in fact very slightly textured which I thought might affect the viewing of the screen at first but actually it does not and prevents reflections very well - better than other antireflection surfaces I have used. Overall I am very satisfied and would happily recommend to others. This is the first time I have bought a screen protector but I think I might invest in one for other tech as well and if I do it will be from the Expert Shield range for sure.

Swimovate PMB Pool Mate Computer Sports Watch - Black
Swimovate PMB Pool Mate Computer Sports Watch - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent training aid, 21 Feb 2012
I read mixed reviews of this product before deciding to take the plunge (sorry). It is a great product and I am really impressed but there are a few things it is just worth knowing before you buy and, in my opinion, a lot comes down to personal swimming style/ability.

Most of the negative comments I have read are covered in the excellent instruction manual and this is really worth reading when you get it. The manufacturer says the watch needs to be strapped on securely, that it does not cope well with changes in stroke mid-length, that some swimmers may need to extend their glide when they start a new length, sometimes it will work better on one wrist than the other (and you have to tell it in set-up if you change wrists), and the pool needs to be 15m long or longer. Also the watch was designed by Triathletes but tested with a "wide variety of swimmers" who can swim 1500m in a time of between 22 and 40 mins (60 lengths of a 25m pool).

I am 38, officially "overweight", not that fit and certainly no Triathlete but I am an ex-club swimmer from my school days and would consider that my technique is good but not excellent. At my local pool I swim laps in either the fast lane if there are distance swimmers in there or in the medium lane if the fast lane folks are sprinting up and down!

So last night I used the watch for the first time and just did my normal workout, usual style. The Poolmate is absolutely fantastic! I swam a set of 200m BreastStroke warm up, 200m FrontCrawl sprint, then 1500m FrontCrawl and a final 400m mixed stroke cool down and the watch recorded everything perfectly. A really useful feature is that when you pause it the timer starts again from 0.00 to time your break without affecting your total swim times so you can time your minute break or whatever accurately. You can also scroll through the time for the last set and total laps etc without affecting that break timer... it really is very well thought out and I am a very happy man. After the session you can check through all your different sets and compare speeds for different strokes and whether you were pushing it or felt you were just relaxing etc etc.

I now know that my 1500m time is 30 mins and my "efficiency index" ranges between 38 ("very good") and 43 ("above average") depending whether I am concentrating on extending my stroke or not. Will this help me? I guess I'll have to wait and see but I am already motivated to try and get my efficiency score down into the "very good" category consistently.

Overall I am very pleased with the purchase and would highly recommend it to anyone who can swim far enough that they are apt to lose count of their lengths! I feel really motivated to get my times down, efficiency improved, and it is good to see how many calories it reckons I have burnt off too. 5 star purchase and 5 stars for Amazon experience as usual.

Case-Mate Vroom Case for iPhone 4/4S - Black
Case-Mate Vroom Case for iPhone 4/4S - Black
Offered by total digital stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Case, 6 Feb 2012
This is a great case for my iPhone 4S. Fits perfectly. No slack around the edges (been on for about 2 weeks). The case is not the thinnest I have come across so should provide some shock absorption. My daughter (2yrs) has dropped it onto the ceramic tiled kitchen floor without damage but obviously she is under 3 ft tall! It is sticky enough to stay on the dashboard of a car around roundabouts unless you are doing something frankly stupid but slippery enough to get it in and out of a shirt/jacket easily. Jeans pockets are a bit of a pain but not as bad as some (eg silicone case on my Nokia turns the pocket inside out trying to get the rotten thing out!). No button activation problems in pocket, holes for "silence switch" charging and speakers all just right. Fits my iPod dock without removal and tread pattern on back is very cool for petrol heads like me! Definitely recommend.