Profile for P. Shuttleworth > Reviews

Content by P. Shuttleworth

P. Shuttleworth "D Wideberth" (Hemel Hempstead, Herts)

Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate Book 1)
Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Royal Flush of a read!, 15 Sep 2014
I stumbled across this book having enjoyed "Hard Tale". I immediately down-loaded the sequel and read that as well. The "Plumbers Mate" series (well there are two books and I really would like to read more) contain well drawn characters, biting dialogue that demands attention and wit which ensures you want to continue reading. Slightly unbelievable plot lines in truth but therein lies the farce. There are guffaw out aloud moments and I belted out a laugh at one of the less politically correct lines that had half the beach, I was sunbathing on at the time, wondering what had make me choke so much. When I see a market trader I still smile at that line. All three books I have read I have not been able to put down and I liked the characters I was getting to know. This is not Dickens, this is not Umberto Eco - it's more a Lyndsey Davis /Tom Sharpe sort of gay Falco in the naughties and that is no bad recommendation. If you like contemporary humour and are not afraid of the fact that there is a gay romance at the heart of the storyline you will really enjoy this series. I really look forward to the next one.

Hard Tail
Hard Tail

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved the humour; Loved the Story (I've even started making my own lunches!), 10 Sep 2014
This review is from: Hard Tail (Kindle Edition)
Witty. Urban. Laugh out aloud. Modern. Quite a first read for me from this author. If the bike shop existed i would buy a bike myself from there. Loved it. Excellent writing and some very acute one liners.

Sense of Place (Thomas Elkin Book 3)
Sense of Place (Thomas Elkin Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Dialogue and Well Drawn Characters, 21 May 2014
The books in this series are an easy read and the characters attractive to the ear. I enjoy the banter between the main characters and have even stolen some of the lines! The sex scenes are full on - so take note! I would like the challenges and issues raised by these stories to be dealt with in more depth. The age difference has been tackled but the best friend father thing and the ex-wife not to mention the professional rivalry have barely been touched. Perhaps a fourth book will deal with this. You want the couple to succeed but you can't help thinking, especially with all that sex, that they have had an easy ride!

Time Out Berlin 9th edition
Time Out Berlin 9th edition

3.0 out of 5 stars Reliable as ever, 19 Mar 2014
First time I used the Kindle version of the Time Out Guides. Easy for Pre-Reading but not as easy to use when out and about in Berlin. Still as accurate and reliable as ever.

Hubsan H107 X4 RC Quadcopter Spare Parts USB Charging Cable H107-A06
Hubsan H107 X4 RC Quadcopter Spare Parts USB Charging Cable H107-A06
Offered by MakingDay

4.0 out of 5 stars Took a while to come but great value., 19 Mar 2014
We ordered the spare part and waited for it to come from China. Took a while but it rescued an otherwise unusable Xmas present so was very worthwhile.

When I Was a Slave: Memoirs from the Slave Narrative Collection (Dover Thrift Editions)

4.0 out of 5 stars Revealing Portraits and Mini-Biographies from a time [thankfully] gone by, 19 Mar 2014
I decided to read this book having watched and read "12 years a slave". The biographies are real and telling. Moving and harsh. There is much across all the stories that allow you to see what the commonalities are. Sadly, much of what is written points to ill treatment and savage conditions but it is a relief to find the odd story of caring plantation owners and mildly humane white folks from the past. A very pleasant surprise from the book was the dialect and dialogue that you pick up and the wonderful names that some of the people had in the past. A must read.

Physical Therapy [St. Nacho's 2]
Physical Therapy [St. Nacho's 2]

3.0 out of 5 stars Part of an Easy Read and Enjoyable Series, 19 Mar 2014
I came to St Nacho's through the last of the 4 books and have gradually made my way through the lot. They stand fine by themselves and complement one another at the same time. A little light is thrown some light on what it means to gay and struggling in relationships. I think if you read a book and wouldn't mind having a conversation with one or more of the characters then you're likely to find yourself reading through to the end. ZA Maxfield sets the context, character conflicts and resolutions very well. She writes the sex in a raunchy way actually and finds one or two very poignant moments which ultimately will be why you will want to carry on ready and pick up the next book she writes. Classic vacation / airport lounge read - and that's not a criticism!

The Book of Daniel (St. Nacho's 4)
The Book of Daniel (St. Nacho's 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Want a firefighting cam shaft in your life?, 7 Mar 2014
I liked the book, having read its prequel - Jacob's Ladder, and found the continuity and familiarity of St Nacho's and the folks that live there a nice place to be for a while. I ended up wanting to know more about Cam's family and maybe the author will fill that particular gap in due course. I've decided to read further prequels so if anything is a recommendation maybe that is.

Not a literary masterpiece but a slow comfortable read that made me turn the page and want to know more. Bree is not a person I might know - who turns arounds quite like that after all? If Cam exists anywhere - could someone please introduce me! He sounded perfect!

Finding Shelter (Rock Bay Series Book 3)
Finding Shelter (Rock Bay Series Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock Bay : Rocks - And that's Official, 8 May 2013
Given we read in a time of "one-click" literature and instant kindle storytelling I am heartened and happy to be reviewing the third in the "Rock Bay" series. The characters are so well drawn you don't don't have to have read the previous two books and I enjoyed reading about Lex, Amy and the the regular crew again. However,make no mistake this is new writing. Logan - who i loved in the previous books - is even better described and Justin is someone you would love to sit shown with and talk to for hours. There are a couple of neat twists and I would just like to add ( as a foster carer) that the book affirmed some of the reasons why my partner and I decided to take on board fostering ourselves. This is not a sad book. This is not a major literary epic. This is a book about people and families who we / you care for. I loved the story. I want to live in Rock Bay. Mines a regular Vanilla Latte!

Tigers and Devils
Tigers and Devils
by Sean Kennedy

5.0 out of 5 stars Tacky Cover - Excellent Read, 17 Jun 2011
This review is from: Tigers and Devils (Paperback)
Much like a number of the other reviewers on this site I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was real. It had balls. It described life that I could relate to or could desire.

The central characters were attractive and flawed all at the same time and, lets face it, that's about as best as we can hope for.

I couldn't put the book down and my partner lost me for a couple of days on holiday there.

Anyone who is gay and has gone involved in sport at any level will relate to this book.

Well written, good plot, strong characters - I would love to have mates like the guys in this book - and I hope this is not the only time Sean Kennedy (the author) puts pen to paper.