Profile for Mark F > Reviews

Mark F

Little Windows
Little Windows

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Album- Very Poor Value For Money, 8 April 2016
This review is from: Little Windows (Audio CD)
I like Teddy Thompson and was looking forward to receiving the album.In terms of the material provided I like it, great songs with lovely harmonies but what poor value!.
I know it's quality not quantity that counts, but surely there was more material available? if not, what about a live disc - even if this comprises covers or live versions of older Teddy songs?
These days, value for money is very important and haven't got that here so my sixth Teddy solo album may well be my last
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2016 5:32 PM BST

Jools & Ruby
Jools & Ruby

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Music But Only Four New Tracks, 7 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Jools & Ruby (Audio CD)
I can review all but four of the tracks here because although I don't own the album I have all of the previous Jools albums and the tracks are on them- they are very good and make for a good album if you don't already them but for me (and I suspect many others) this is yet another cynical marketing ploy by the record company ( I hope not by Jools) and I will listen to the four new tracks on Spotify, and if I like them will buy on I tunes for £3.16.

The Ties That Bind: The River Collection
The Ties That Bind: The River Collection

3.0 out of 5 stars Cynical Marketing Exercise- Good Music But Too Many Tracks Already Available, 4 Dec. 2015
First of all I have not bought this item yet and don't intend to until the price falls dramatically (which I'm sure it will) even though I'm a huge Bruce fan.
This item, currently retails at £80 for the Blu ray version and comprises 4CDs and 3 DVDs and if you don't particularly want the DVDs (like me) then you are paying this for the 52 tracks contained on the 4 cds.
Of these 52 tracks, 20 are on 'The River' album which most fans already have (i don't think these have been remastered or enhanced) and 10 were included on the 4 cd (66 track) box set 'Tracks' which is currently on Amazon for £12.39 (which i already have).
A further 10 tracks are from the original version of 'The River' which was shelved and replaced by the versions on the originally released version.

This leaves 12 tracks (I have seen somewhere that there are only 11 however) which are songs which have not been released before and £89 does not represent good value for these- indeed having listened to them on Spotify there were only one or two that grabbed me and most of the tracks were less that 3.5 minutes long (one was just over 1 minute).

You do get a book with the set but this is of little interest to me.

So to summarise, this is only a good buy if you don't already have 'The River' (£7.99 on Amazon) and 'Tracks' and if you particularly want the 3 DVDs ( a concert and a documentary) or the book, so its not for me.

What a pity that the record company (and Bruce?) seem to think that we are stupid and will pay any amount we are told to- this could have been released in a number of versions- for example the outtakes and the original album for (say) £15 which would represent good value for fans like me that have bought all of Bruce's albums over many years.
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2015 11:16 AM GMT

Claybrooke Mill Bread Dough Improver 200g (Lighten Your Loaves!)
Claybrooke Mill Bread Dough Improver 200g (Lighten Your Loaves!)
Offered by Lakeland

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Outstanding Results - Expensive But Worth It!, 6 May 2015
Great product and definitely does what it says on the drum- I like to make wholemeal bread and previously made a 50/50 mixture with white flour so that the loaves were not too heavy. Using this product a 100%wholemeal loaf was (relatively) light with a very crisp crust- delicious,

My only adverse comment is that at £7.99 for 200g does seem quite expensive- this (based on 2 teaspoons per loaf which weighs about 12g- although the instructions say you can use as little as 1) would do about 17 loaves and therefore adds a cost of 43p per loaf- still worth it in my opinion.

Time
Time

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, Appalling Marketing Rip Off!, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Time (Audio CD)
As most reviewers have said this is a great album and a real return to form after some dodgy material BUT this version really takes the p*** out of loyal fans who bought the album when it first came out.I paid £15 for the deluxe version on the day of release (now on Amazon for £3.94)with three bonus tracks compared to the standard version but now this version adds a further three bonus tracks and eleven live tracks and it's only two thirds of what I paid (i.e £9.99)

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised but I am very annoyed that I'm expected to pay another £10 for the additional tracks and it is disappointing that these couldn't have been made available on an ep- as it is the only beneficiaries are non fans so thank you very much Mr Stewart haven't you got enough cash already? - I won't blame the marketing department entirely because he must have some say in such decisions.

What about allowing the 'true fans' to return their deluxe copy and giving them the 'new deluxe version' and a £5 refund - I don't think so, and where are you in this Amazon? shouldn't you try to ensure that customers get reasonable value for money??- not the first time this has happened either.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2015 3:04 AM BST

Long Wave
Long Wave

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Record- Poor Value Rip Off, 13 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Long Wave (Audio CD)
Yes, as previously reviewed a good record and Mr Lynne brings his own treatment to a number of classics.

I would however like to point out what poor value this cd is and this demonstrates the contempt in which millionaire pop stars appear to hold the fans who have put them where they are- this cd is 27 minutes long for 11 tracks and even then track 11 is described as a 'bonus track'. I would have thought that more than 11 tracks were recorded in the sessions and could have been included or different tracks etc.

Yet again the fans are being ripped off- I'm sure this artist is not short of cash and must have some control over the record company!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2013 3:59 PM GMT