Profile for Dadjoe > Reviews

Content by Dadjoe

Dadjoe (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Learning Curve Thomas Wooden Railway Set Thomas and Friends Sodor Expansion Bridge

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but great for a Thomas fan, 29 July 2011
A substantial and heavy addition to any wooden railway set, reasonably well put together and it seems to deal with the mauling of a 3 year old fairly well - when subjected to extreme violence things pop out and can be put back in again rather than breaking.

The two sides of the bridge aren't detachable from each other, and it's quite pricey, but worth it for a Thomas fan.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A simply brilliant piece of kit, 29 July 2011
I bought this to upgrade my very basic Harman/Kardon Digital lounge system which had simply run out of HDMI ports. I wanted something that works with what I have (only a 2.1 system) but will be compatible with all the kit I'm going to buy in the future. Only had it installed for a couple of days, but it is delivering big time. The Audyssey speaker and room setup is incredibly simple, but it has transformed the sound coming out of my system and almost obviated the need for more speakers (don't worry, centre speaker coming). Network setup was also a matter of plugging in an ethernet cable to my DHCP router. I'm currently listening to BBC Radio 6 music - not via DAB, which it doesnt have - but via the internet radio service. Spotify is a cinch to set up, though the GUI is a little basic. My hint: set up your playlists via your computer, then access them via the Onkyo.

Looks wise it obviously loses out against the Harman/Kardon (my wife has described the new box as a 'monstrosity') but then its there to be listened to, not looked at, and I quite like its slightly brutalist lines....

The remote control is pretty well laid out, and works reasonably well in controlling other components. I say reasonably well - the code for my Virgin box operates some basic functions but not important ones such as the favourites key, and I can't get it to control my HK screen at all. One other minor incompatibility was the fact that it doesn't have a subwoofer trigger like HK systems do - so shame, I will have to switch it on and off by hand.

There is of course an iPhone app, which if you're on the same network, connects automatically. That certainly works, but as they say, I look forward to added functionality in forthcoming versions! All in all a very fine piece of kit, which I am still only scratching the surface of.

The London Train
The London Train
by Tessa Hadley
Price: 10.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and satisfying, without being melodramatic, 10 Mar 2011
This review is from: The London Train (Hardcover)
The characters in The London Train lead lives of inner turmoil, which threatens to engulf the outward veneer of calm with which they go about their carefully constructed lives. It's an instantly recognisable dilemma, and the tales of grief, loyalty and betrayal leave us to make our own moral judgments about the actions of the two main characters who span the two novellas. The strength of the book lies in the fact that we are merely glad when they survive - it is not necessarily right, or fair, or better - these concepts have as little place in the novel as they do in the real world. They just do survive. Perhaps their one characteristic that is less believable is their willingness to learn from their mistakes - but the note of hope at the end of the novel brought a tear to my eye.

Read this if you are interested in engaging, recognisable writing about love, relationships, and family - life, in other words.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2012 11:20 PM BST

Kenwood AT641 Vita Pro-Active Continuous Juice Extractor
Kenwood AT641 Vita Pro-Active Continuous Juice Extractor
Offered by Bright Sparks Store
Price: 104.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality piece of kit., 26 Feb 2011
Substantial, quite heavy, but well made and works very well. No juicer is perfect - it does a reasonably good job of gathering the pulp into the bin - but there is the inevitable cleaning afterwards, which was fairly straightforward. A really good addition to the Kenwood.

WD Caviar Green Wd20ears - Hard Drive - 2 Tb - Sata-300
WD Caviar Green Wd20ears - Hard Drive - 2 Tb - Sata-300

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and efficient, 14 Jan 2011
This is an edited review: having paid more than I thought I needed to pay, this has been in use for about a year now and is quiet and effortless. Its not the fastest hard drive out there, but as a backup drive it's excellent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2011 9:27 PM BST

Queen Of Denmark
Queen Of Denmark
Price: 8.05

5.0 out of 5 stars A pop masterpiece, 12 Jan 2011
This review is from: Queen Of Denmark (Audio CD)
Not much else to say. This is a simply brilliant album. Bears many listens, and gets better with each one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4