Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Listen in Prime Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Hampshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
David Grisman & Jerry Garcia
David Grisman & Jerry Garcia

5.0 out of 5 stars Corrective action was required!, 10 Mar. 2016
I am writing this review as what appears to be a rogue reviewer rated it at two stars and that somehow has brought the overall score down despite many 5 star reviews listed. FIVE stars - EXCELLENT! This is one of my favourite acoustic albums. When Jerry Garcia died he took with him an irreplaceable wealth of know-how, which is rather a sad thought. The musicianship is so accomplished and flowing that at times it seems deceptively easy.

Vape by Keller Williams (2015-06-09)
Vape by Keller Williams (2015-06-09)
Offered by FHL Store

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem but what is it? A modern day American Roy Harper perhaps?, 30 Jan. 2016
I came across this on Spotify whilst following up some excellent music by Strangefolk and Reid Genauer. This is a beautifully recorded album that is very difficult to categorise. Slightly country, slightly jazz, some little tinges of flamenco and bluegrass in there too. Emphasis on a very well played acoustic guitar but lost of other instruments in the mix, electric or otherwise, including what sounds like a cello and great vocal backing. It is kind of pacey but smooth and laid back at the same time. Incredibly well produced and well written intriguing songs, delivered very musically and often with acid humour. This album seems to be quite a change in direction from most of his previous work - which seems crude by comparison, though I have not yet checked that out fully yet. Every track is thoughtfully constructed and different. This struck me as one of the most original albums I have heard recently, it draws you in and there is so much in each track that the album as whole will become a lasting treasure. Long may Keller continue in this direction as a kind of modern day American Roy Harper. On the downside - why is it SO expensive on Amazon? I hope that may change but right now I want this in my collection regardless.

Lana Natural Pelmet Valance 16"x184" (467x41cm)
Lana Natural Pelmet Valance 16"x184" (467x41cm)
Offered by Kelly's Soft Furnishings

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality and value for money, 12 Nov. 2013
The service from the supplier was superb - they were very helpful in asking my dumb questions. What do I know about curtains! I have a large lounge with bay window and french doors and have fitted these everywhere, including the pelmets. This had a dramatic effect on lifting and brightening the whole mood of the room. Excellent value for money.

Enlightened Rogues
Enlightened Rogues

5.0 out of 5 stars I missed this first time round, 12 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Enlightened Rogues (MP3 Download)
I do not know how I managed to miss this first time around. I lost interest in the Allmans after Win Lose or Draw. I have been catching up a bit and this album is as good as or better than anything else I have heard other than the the superb "The Road Goes on For Ever", which is a consistently excellent collection of live sets, both in terms of performance and sound quality.

We Live Here
We Live Here

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilled but dynamic, 12 Nov. 2013
This review is from: We Live Here (Audio CD)
Not usually a great fan of midnight jazz which sends me to sleep but am discovering Pat Metheny and this album is one that retains your listening attention.

The Water Road
The Water Road

5.0 out of 5 stars Contemporary prog/jazz/world - good stuff, 13 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Water Road (MP3 Download)
The other day I found myself almost saying "I remember when all this was fields" and have also been wondering why they let policemen out at such a young age. Obviously I have passed into peak "old git-hood". Never mind. In "old people's" speak this is a sort of Yes meets King Crimson with a few other influences thrown in for good measure. Nonetheless all music has roots and influences and they dont come much better than those. Overall it adds up to originality and the album is wide ranging in mood from heavy riff based King Crimsonesque jazz tinged guitar lead rock to more ethereal and contemplative passages dominated by piano. A slight criticism is that in my view the lyrics are a bit pretentious and seem to be aimed at demonstrating how many long words they know -in a stream of consciousness sort of way. Likewise I am not a great fan of the female vocal delivery style, which to my ears is more spoken than sung, which only serves to reinforce my impressions. However - the music is so good instrumentally that I still have to give it 5 stars. Favourite track? Om Tare - an up tempo jazz tinged rock number with an air of menace and excitement - but the album is best listened to straight through in its entirety rather than singling out individual tracks. Who said virtuoso playing is dead - and quite a wide range of instruments are used. The composition is good too, maintaining tension and interest. The previous album Shibboleth is almost as good, though the earlier albums seem a bit more homogenous and predictable by comparison. I prefer the broadened out style they have moved to on balance, rather than the rockier sound they started out with say on Argot. If you are looking for something contemporary that is real music rather than manufactured pap buy and enjoy. I am looking forward to the next album with interest.

Bible Belt
Bible Belt
Offered by Todays Great Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars Shades of Carole King and a small dollop of Maria Muldaur, 13 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Bible Belt (Audio CD)
Really good songs underpinned by a musical, tight backing group and overlaid by Diane's very competent piano playing and excellent and expressive singing. I can hear lots of influences ranging from R&B to jazz, gospel and soul and lurking there too somewhere in the mix are sultry shades of Maria Muldaur. Definite overtones of Carole King (and that is praise indeed) but plenty of originality. Valentino is perhaps the best known track and is likeable enough but seems to me just a little contrived and untypical of her overall style. If I had one criticism it would be that I would love to hear her sing and play with this band with the "brakes off" just a notch but it would be churlish to award less than 5 stars for such a well crafted gem. I await the next album with real interest and anticipation to see what direction she takes but Bible Belt is a real "belter"!

Gilgamesh
Gilgamesh

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, rewarding and deeply satisfying, 13 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Gilgamesh (Audio CD)
The other five star reviewer has already given an excellent summary of this album. I have had this on vinyl for many years and was very excited to see it appear on CD. I would just like to add my own endorsement. The recording is excellent and the music is to my ears simply wonderful and repays repeated listening. The quality of composition distinguishes this band from some others in the "jazz rock fusion" space or whatever one may wish to label it. As a consequence you are drawn in to the music and the expert handling of musical textures and tensions makes for a deeply satisfying and musical experience that is involving and accessable. Unlike the band's close relative, Hatfield and the North, Gilgamesh are wholly instrumental. Female vocals are used in places to good effect but as an additional instrument - no words. Gilgamesh are yet another product of the "Canterbury" scene that deserved far broader recognition than they ever achieved. There are two or three of their albums available that seem to cover the same or similar ground but "Snakes and Ladders" is the one to go for as it really hangs together. Also from the same era and genre you may want to check out the recent CD releases of albums by Isotope, where Hugh Hopper (ex Soft Machine bass player) teamed up with Gary Boyle - a highly underrated jazz-rock guitar virtuoso. Nonetheless, Phil Miller remains one of my all time favourite guitar players - always in complete control but his is a thoughtful style tinged with humour and part of the piece rather than overt pyrotechnics.

Cicada - Hazmat Modine
Cicada - Hazmat Modine

5.0 out of 5 stars Hazmat Modine are a foot tapping joy!, 8 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Cicada - Hazmat Modine (Audio CD)
I am prompted to write a review to balance out the meagre 3 stars awarded by another reviewer - simply because this album turned out not to feature the reviewer's beloved Natalie Merchant as strongly as he hoped (having bought it on spec purely because she features).

Hazmat Modine synthesise a whole host of musical influences from around the globe but to my ears the overall feel is a kind of Egyptian reggae roots blues intermingled with New Orleans jazz. Anyway the key thing is that the music is joyful, foot tapping and tinged with humour.

Their previous album Bahamut is a masterpiece - and the band are a breath of fresh air. Hazmat Modine are a major find in my search for original and creative contemporary music. Another being Nguyen Le - who also synthesises a multitude of influences in a different way and from a more jazz based viewpoint - but that is another story!

However, if you find Hazmat Modine exciting and refreshing you may also want to check out "Phantom Songs" by 17 Hippies, which is an exotic cocktail of largely European influences that really should not work - but it does!

5 stars and "hurray" for Hazmat Modine and Cicada - NOT 3!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted - excellent value, 3 Dec. 2011
I was delighted with the quality of this rug. It has added significantly to the look and feel of my lounge as intended - but has even exceeded my expectations. Service was also excellent. No hestiation in recommending this product and I will be buying more similar in future.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4