Profile for M. Wilson > Reviews

Yeah Yeah Yeah: The Story of Modern Pop
by Bob Stanley
Price: 10.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Rough Guide to Music?, 7 April 2014
I like to buy the Rough Guides to a country before I visit because i have always enjoyed the detailed insight when other guide books skim the surface but have always found there appreciation of downright ugly places which happen to have one building of historical interest to be a bit odd when they totally dismiss much more attractive towns.

I found the same with this book; full of fascinating insights which I am quoting ad nauseam but far too much detail on obscure (very very obscure) soul acts while major acts such as Queen (as others have noted) are dismissed. I can accept the argument that there has been too much written about bands such as Queen as it is but I would like to read a UK only version.

400 pages in I am trying to read the entire book without missing chapters out but its getting harder.

The Camino: A Pilgrimage of Courage
The Camino: A Pilgrimage of Courage
by Shirley MacLaine
Price: 7.08

1.0 out of 5 stars Test of endurance, 23 May 2013
This book is the ideal preparation for walking the Camino because if you have the powers of endurance to get to the end of this nonsense then the 400 odd miles of the actual walk will be a doddle. Before Ms.Mclaine goes off into her fifty page hallucinatory account of the origins of the universe she narrowly escapes some wild dogs by 'being proactive with love imagery'. Too bad!

Friends With Kids [DVD]
Friends With Kids [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Hamm
Price: 5.51

3.0 out of 5 stars What has happened to romantic comedy, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: Friends With Kids [DVD] (DVD)
Okay! So the 15 certificate tells you that the film has adult content but I guess it depends on the definition of adult. This film has good moments and performances but like so many in the genre is completely ruined by guttural sexual interplay trying to disguise itself as witty dialogue. Is this Hollywood's strategy to get men into cinemas to watch romcoms? Possibly the worst and most tasteless final scene in history-discuss! When Harry met Sally is Shakespeare compared to this film.

Long Road Out Of Eden
Long Road Out Of Eden
Offered by Mattpuss
Price: 22.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Wrong time of year?, 15 Nov 2007
This review is from: Long Road Out Of Eden (Audio CD)
This is the first album I have bought on its day of release since cd's were invented. I was a tad disappointed on first hearing but decided to give it a few more plays. Yes there is blandness and some embarassingly twee lyrics but I reckon the acid test was the amount of hooks which have wormed their way into my head and are going round and round all day.

I've never liked the "Lifes been Good to Me so Far" sound of Joe Walsh and find the more gentle songs with the unmistakeable harmonies to be the real power of the Eagles so I also think that there is a five star single cd here and I will copy to other formats selectively but of course its a case of each to his own.

I cant wait for a hot summers day to listen to this music in the manner it should be heard. Only then will "Waiting in the Weeds" transcend from a great song to a classic one.