Profile for Mr. N. Wood > Reviews

Content by Mr. N. Wood

Mr. N. Wood "Nick Wood" (Lincolnshire)

Page: 1 | 2
More Mile California Compression Socks Black
More Mile California Compression Socks Black
Offered by Active Human Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointing, 18 Jan. 2015
I have several pairs of More Mile socks but thought I'd give these a go for an Ultra Marathon.

They do seem to slip but usually pulling them up sorts that. What surprised me was two things -

1) They are THIN. You really can feel the difference and when I did a test run in them, I knew that they were...

2) Going to give you blisters. Or they give me blisters anyway! I've never had problems with More Mile socks - they're my favourites. But these are different, and worse for it. I've twice used these for long runs, and each time had to tape my feet up after about 15 miles. Not great.

They went in the bin in the end!

Ladies Cotton Rich Heart Design Socks (Pack Of 3) (UK Shoe 4-7, EUR 37-41) (Grey/Red)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality Product, 5 Jan. 2015
I bought these as a small stocking filler for my wife, but when she tried them on one pair had a hole in, and another didn't have any elastic. Yeah yeah, I know they're only socks, but the quality is particularly poor.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars An Equal to Phones Twice the Price, 14 July 2014
This phone has opened my eyes to just how much mark-up is on a premium phone. I was a bit apprehensive about buying a Chinese smartphone from an unknown manufacturer, but after much deliberation I took the plunge, thanks in no small part to the excellent reviews both on here and external reviewers' websites, of both this phone and the Cubot One.

First impressions - it came in a standard white box similar to that of an iPhone, securely packaged. A couple of nice surprises in the box; it came with both a magnetic case (locks when you close it), a screen protector already fitted, a UK charger and a couple of leads.

The phone itself is plastic, but is of no less quality than that of, say, a HTC One. Opening the back, it has space for a mini SIM, a microSD and a full-size SIM. Whilst I don't intend using the second SIM slot, the microSD slot now has a 32gb card, taking space up to near 50GB. In the near future I will probably upgrqade to a class-10 64GB, but I'm in no rush. Size-wise, the phone is slim and fairly light.

Turning the phone on reveals a fairly cheap Cubot intro with some really bad music. "Oh dear, the mask is slipping now", I thought. But once it boots up you're greeted with a fairly standard version of Android. Play Store is included as are all the standard Google apps. Of course the beauty of Android is the customisation of it all so it can completely be transformed into whatever you like. Performance is very good - the processor will devour games like Asphalt 8 - and battery life is good enough that I sat on it practically all day and got 12hrs of power use out of it. The speaker is *ok* - it's functional and makes fairly loud noise. As with the camera, if you want a big bassy speaker you're not going to buy an all-rounder.

The only downside I've found so far is the camera. It may be 13mp but the colours are quite dull and the performance isn't that great. This is not a photographer's camera and it's a step down from my old Lumia 925 which admittedly had Carl Zeiss optics. It will still take a decent picture or video, and has all sorts of vintage effects and a panorama mode - but don't expect a DSLR rival at this price.

A word on signal/network reception; this will get both "H" and 3G - I was unsure and typing anything to do with wavelengths into Google left me confused and in need of a power nap. It's not going to get 4G - but unless you live in London that's probably not going to bother you too much. Reception is on a par with my wife's iPhone 5S and is miles better than my old Lumia. WiFi is similarly good - probably the best reception in parts of my house other phones can't reach.

So, the tl:dr summary; this phone is a serious rival for phones 2-3-4 times the price - Apple and Samsung, I'm looking at you - with only a couple of little flaws. A brilliant all-rounder for a seriously good price.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2014 7:59 AM BST

Proraso Shaving Soap Jar (large) 150ml
Proraso Shaving Soap Jar (large) 150ml
Offered by Quality Distributors UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Supreme Stuff, 4 Jun. 2014
This is my go-to soap when I want an easy lather. It smells great, lathers thickly and easily, and allows for a very smooth shave. I'd highly recommend it for a first soap, it's a great all-rounder!

Neem Oil - 100ml
Neem Oil - 100ml
Offered by The Aromatherapy Shop Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars A product with many uses, 4 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Neem Oil - 100ml (Personal Care)
I used this as a solution to kill off aphids on plants. It works very well and I'd recommend it for this use. Personally can't see why anyone would use it for aromatherapy, no wonder the aphids cleared off, it smells horrible in my opinion!

ProQ Frontier Replacement Charcoal Basket
ProQ Frontier Replacement Charcoal Basket
Offered by Mac's BBQ

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement, 4 Jun. 2014
Does exactly what is required once the old coal pan has worn through. Sturdy material and fast delivery, what's not to like?

VitaLink 1L Easy Growth Hard Water
VitaLink 1L Easy Growth Hard Water

5.0 out of 5 stars Explosive, 4 Jun. 2014
I used this in a 10-litre DWC grow for a Red Bhut Jolokia plant. Previously I had just used Chili focus, a non-specific nutrient.

VitaLink has made my plant explode with growth, and I reckon it's probably doubled in size in about 6-8 weeks. It's actually kind of scary just how much it has grown. Glad I took the plunge on these nutes!

Bhut Jolokia Red (Naga Jolokia)(Ghost Chili) 10 Seeds
Bhut Jolokia Red (Naga Jolokia)(Ghost Chili) 10 Seeds
Offered by Samenchilishop

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the whingers, 12 April 2014
I bought these seeds and two days later, they arrived (from Germany!). I germinated them in a heated propagator, and had a 100% germination rate from 5 seeds. I currently have 4 in soil, and one in a hydroponic set-up. They're absolutely perfect and I'm looking forward to many Bhut Jolokia pods this year!

How anyone can complain that 10 seeds at this price is expensive is beyond me. The rarer varieties of chillis can sell for more than double this! 10 Bhut Jolokia plants will stock you with chillies for about 5 years in one season.....
Comment Comment | Permalink

Chilli pepper - Scotch Bonnet (RED) 12 Seeds
Chilli pepper - Scotch Bonnet (RED) 12 Seeds
Offered by Impatiens

1.0 out of 5 stars Really Disappointing, 13 Sept. 2013
(Review of seeds bought from HADDONS)

I have been growing these for ages, since February. Lovingly propagating them, re-potting them, watering them regularly and using fertiliser. To find out what I'd been growing for the past several months is a chilli with no heat is really disappointing. They obviously know these are not good plants (the reviews pre-date my purchase of the seeds), and yet they continue to sell them.

Don't waste your time like I did. Buy from a reputable seed vendor or chilli farm. These have literally (and I mean, zero) heat. They were so cheap I can't really be "angry"! But it's not good when you spend 8 months growing something for no reward...

Chimney Charcoal Starter
Chimney Charcoal Starter
Offered by Essential Outdoor Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars It's great. Essential. But..., 24 July 2013
This review is from: Chimney Charcoal Starter
First off, if you have a charcoal BBQ or smoker, you need this. I'm not exaggerating. It's the best bit of BBQ kit you'll ever invest in. No more stinking lighter fluid required, just coal in the top, firelighter in the bottom, light and wait 30 minutes. It's that easy.

I use this to start my bullet smoker on it's marathon smokes. I have used this probably once a week since I got it in January (so about 25 times), and it has paid for itself two or three times over.

My only gripe is that, because of use I'd imagine, the handle has fallen off at the top. I did hope to see out the year with this but it's so essential I'll buy another, although maybe a Weber one may be the next port of call. For the price and what you'll get out of it, it's still worth 4 stars!!

Page: 1 | 2