Profile for chloe sevigny > Reviews

Painting People: The State of the Art
Painting People: The State of the Art
by Charlotte Mullins
Price: 13.56

1.0 out of 5 stars not a book for anyone who knows anytink about art, 1 Feb 2014
Some nice reproductions. Some artists that should not be included at all because of their bad quality. Writing is simplistic and there is no information with the reproductions concerning the paintings' material or their size. Pretty awful book in general.

Brains
Brains
by Simon Bill

4.0 out of 5 stars I agree - it's great., 17 May 2012
This review is from: Brains (Paperback)
I loved it. I found it really funny and I enjoyed the way the writer managed to sustain the tone of the main character's somehow innocent, loveable but at the same time sordid and amoral narration. I found the digressions in to neurology fascinating. I hope it is widely read and the author is encouraged to write more.

Night Studio: A Memoir Of Philip Guston
Night Studio: A Memoir Of Philip Guston
by Musa Mayer
Price: 10.29

2.0 out of 5 stars no colour illustrations in my copy, 27 Aug 2009
It says above "Night Studio, profusely illustrated (including almost a dozen paintings in full color)" . That would have been great, but the copy I received has no colour illustrations. They are all black and white and one or two so murky you can not make anything out.

A River Ain't Too Much To Love
A River Ain't Too Much To Love

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent album!, 11 May 2008
I think this is Smog's best album. Each song is a classic. I've been listening to it for years and still love it.

God Save the Clientele
God Save the Clientele

4.0 out of 5 stars Jangly 60s pop, but unmistakably The Clientele., 13 July 2007
This review is from: God Save the Clientele (Audio CD)
All the Clientle's albums are really good and this might be their best. Jangly guitars, hushed vocals and really great tunes are all characteristic elements from previous releases, but this one is a bit more upbeat. I can't think of another band around today who mine an old genre of music and make it sound so completely, authentically their own.

Woke On A Whaleheart
Woke On A Whaleheart
Price: 10.20

5.0 out of 5 stars More greatness from Bill Callahan., 11 May 2007
This review is from: Woke On A Whaleheart (Audio CD)
I'm not mad about tracks 2 and 3, but the rest of this album is excellent. Different to previous Smog releases, but clearly a development from them in terms of Bill Callahan's masterful song writing. Kind of countryish with perfectly placed backing vocals and violin and Callahan's characteristic simple vocal delivery, this is a really great album.

From Here We Go Sublime
From Here We Go Sublime
Price: 11.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Great electronic music., 20 April 2007
This review is from: From Here We Go Sublime (Audio CD)
I'm not an electronic music aficionado and dance music often sounds mindless to me, but this album is great. Repetitive and minimal but uplifting and intelligent. I gave it a try and am quite surprised to find that I've been enjoying listening it daily since I got it along with the more conventional music I like. I no longer think of it as 'dance' music or anything else, just great music.