Profile for SlowlyFallingAwake > Reviews

SlowlyFallingAwake

A Merciful Release
A Merciful Release

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: A Merciful Release (Audio CD)
Good luck in finding a boxset better than this one. Was in doubt as to whether I should pick this one or the cheap 9-pound version. This includes the booklet of two CDs of the three (not of First and Last and Always, mind you!) including lyrics and backstory... VERY satisfied with the remastered extended edition of the Sisters' work... If you're a fan, look no further.

Heart and Soul
Heart and Soul

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome revelation, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Heart and Soul (Audio CD)
I bought the boxset for multiple reasons:

1) I liked Joy Division, not to extremes, but with interest and a sort of reverence. They encompass an important period in music and were the epitome for a lot of things (feelings of detachment, social exclusion, disbelonging...) so I guessed purchasing the boxset would be a good investment.

2) Value for money. Because honestly, you won't find anything related to Joy Division get better than this. It literally contains everything (meaning: live versions, studio albums, b-sides, unreleased stuff).

Upon receiving the set, I was ecstatic. Felt like a little child again.
Then came a tinge of dissapointment. I liked it but it didn't click. I couldn't listen to it all the way through. Which I considered to be a shame.

Then a week ago, something clicked whilst listening. The kind of click that says 'hey, this isn't so bad after all'. Then I got it. I literally listened open-mouthed all the way through. It was unbelievably powerful. They lyrics, the toned-down melodies, the latent weltschmerz... It has everything I need, all the time.

So please buy this, if you don't, you might end up regretting it and with a boxset this extensive, there's no reason to save up. I promise you.

Somewhere At The Bottom of the River Between Vega and Altair
Somewhere At The Bottom of the River Between Vega and Altair

5.0 out of 5 stars Post-hardcore brilliance, lost hopes and broken hearts, 13 July 2012
What can I say about this album that hasn't been expressed before?
So very little.

Upon the first listen I had troubles digesting this album. So different and such a distinct sound. Post-hardcore isn't exactly my genre, but I heard so many positive comments that I had little choice but to give it a go. Starting from 'Said the King to the River' this album grabbed me by the throat and never let go. The balance between softer and harder passages is done just right. Transitions are flawless. In fact it would be blasphemy to review each song separately, because they flow to and from you as a liquid sea of guiltred, remorse and helplessness.

I can safely say this album's lyrics form THE most eloquently expressed verses that deal with love as a concept. The whole album is a concept album about how heartbreak hits you, tears through you, changes every aspect of life.
Having experienced my share of heartbreak and unrequited love, it seems this album was made for me, and I guess a lot of people feel that way.

What I absolutely love about Somewhere at the Bottom of the River between Vega and Altair is that I discover new subtle elements with each listen. New meanings to verses, little sounds buried under layers, you name it. This is more than an album, this is art.
Don't think about it, just buy it.

Maybe a verse to convince you of La Dispute's lyrical brilliance:

"Forever wait inside the sea for me, my dear
I hear you
You speak in every curling wave
And sing in every violent breeze
Someday not far away from here
My dear, I swear I'll see you
And we will hear the seraphs cry
For they will still envy you and I"