Profile for Dennis Alexis Hellström > Reviews

Content by Dennis Alexis ...

Dennis Alexis Hellström "Dennis Alexis" (Sweden)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Lace: The Complete Mini-Series (1984) (Region 2) (Import)
Lace: The Complete Mini-Series (1984) (Region 2) (Import)
Dvd ~ Bess Armstrong
Offered by Amazin' Movie Store

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best mini-series of the 80's!, 2 Jan 2014
"Lace" is an American mini-series from 1984, directed by Billy Hale and based on the popular novel by Shirley Conran.

Judy Hale, Pagan Trelowney and Maxine Pascal used to be best friends in the sixties, while attending the same boarding school in the Swiss Alps. Twenty years later, a glamorous movie star named Lili, summons the three women to her hotel, asking them: "Which one of you bitches it my mother?"

I first saw "Lace" as a kid, when the series was rerun on Swedish television in the nineties. I was so impressed by the powerful women, exotic locations and over-the-top storylines. A couple of years later, after my fascination with the eighties entertainment had begun, "Lace" was rerun yet again. This time around, I was old enough to fully enjoy this wonderful series.

I'm a big fan of trashy mini-series, especially from the eighties. But even though some parts of "Lace" could be considered trashy, it's a lot better than people give it credit! The acting is solid. Bess Armstrong, Brooke Adams and Arielle Dombasle all play their parts as glamorous and powerful women beautifully.

But my personal favourite is of course the amazing Phoebe Cates, known from eighties classics "Gremlins" and "Fast Times At Ridgemont High". She plays the strong, yet vunerable Lili perfectly, bringing both sexiness and innocence to the complexed character.

Worth mentioning is that Angela Lansbury, of "Murder, She Wrote" fame, plays a small part as Maxine's aunt Hortense. She has the worst French accent in the history of fake accents, but who cares? It's Angela Lansbury for God's sake!

Also worth mentioning is the amazing soundtrack composed by Nick Bicât. Hearing the iconic theme song gives me goosebumps every time. The soundtrack finally available to buy digitally and physically from the composer's official website. It also includes the beautiful Deniece Williams track "No More Lies" from the sequel "Lace II".

"Lace" can be considered trashy and campy, but it's a lot better than most mini-series from the era. It's definitely one of my personal favourites. If you enjoy soap operas such as "Dynasty" and "Falcon Crest", I'm sure you'll love "Lace"!

"Lace" is available as a print-on-demand DVD from Amazon US. However, an official DVD have been released here in Scandinavia, and this edition can be imported through Amazon UK.

Cold Prey [DVD]
Cold Prey [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ingrid Bolso Berdal

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining slasher, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: Cold Prey [DVD] (DVD)
"Fritt Vilt", or "Cold Prey" as it was called in English, is a Norwegian horror movie from 2006, directed by Roar Uthaug.

Five young friends are on a snowboarding trip in the Norwegian mountains. But when one of them is injured, they're forced to take shelter in a seemingly abandoned ski hotel. They soon discover that someone has been living in the hotel since it was closed down in the seventies, killing anyone who trespasses.

"Fritt Vilt" is one of the best horror movies made in recent years. Sure, it's not very original, but the entertainment value is high. And for me, living in Sweden, it's a plus that the movie is set in our neighbouring country, because it hits closer to home, making the movie more frightening. Sweden has a lot to learn from Norway when it comes to making horror movies.

The acting is quite good for a slasher. Ingrid Bolsø Berdal is perfect as the leading lady Jannicke. In recent years, she's acted in international movies such as "Chernobyl Diaries" and "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters". Is a new "scream queen" in the making?

The cute Endre Martin Midtstigen as Mikal brings the eye candy to the movie, but the most sympathic character is the "clown" of the gang, Morten Tobias, played by Rolf Kristian Larsen. You keep hoping that he'll be one of the survivors.

"Fritt Vilt" is by no means a groundbreaking horror movie, but it's well-acted, professionally made and can definitely give Hollywood horror a run for its money. So if you enjoy a good teen slasher, give this one a try!

I own the Scandinavian Blu-ray edition, which has the best sound and picture quality available.

A Real Man (Remix) - Single
A Real Man (Remix) - Single

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning!, 4 Sep 2012
Some songs are so bad they're almost good. This isn't one of them. "A Real Man" is simply awful and Agnes-Nicole's voice is so annoying it pisses me off. I wish these so-called "Hollywood wives" would stay away from things they know nothing about and leave room for people with actual talent.

Greatest Freestyle Hits
Greatest Freestyle Hits

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning! Awful sound quality., 3 April 2012
This review is from: Greatest Freestyle Hits (Audio CD)
Warning! I'm a huge fan of freestyle music of the 1980's so I was very happy when I first read about this release, since it includes many rare tracks. But I was so disappointed when I listened to it. The sound quality is awful, with lots of hissing and distortion! Some tracks are so muffled I can't even listen to them. Shame on the label for not giving these rare freestyle tracks a decent remaster. Stay away from this CD!

3D
3D

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful disco album, amazing reissue!, 20 Feb 2012
This review is from: 3D (Audio CD)
I recently discovered The Three Degrees and I'm so glad I stumbled over this reissue from Big Break Records. "3D" is an amazing disco album produced by Giorgio Moroder and Harold Faltermeyer. The sound quality of the reissue is perfect. I'm also very glad they included both 7" and 12" versions of the singles as bonus tracks.

My favourite tracks on the album are "Set Me Free", "Jump The Gun", "Red Light" and "My Simple Heart". This is a must for every fan of disco music from the late 70's and early 80's. Keep up the good work, Big Break Records!

The Passion Years
The Passion Years

3.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, disappointing sound quality, 20 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Passion Years (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, the songs on this compilation are fantastic Hi-NRG tracks, and I was very excited to finally get Kelly Marie's rare Passion Records material on CD, as she is a wonderful disco artist. But when listening to "The Passion Years" I was a little disappointed by the sound quality.

Many songs suffer from distortion and they don't sound remastered to me. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I know a lot of work goes into making these reissues, and that these tracks are very rare. But this reissue just doesn't sound as good as for example the PWL reissues.

The best sounding track is "Halfway To Paradise" where I didn't notice any distortion. But the rest are a little disappointing, in my opinion. Do the original mastertapes sound like this or did something go wrong when the CD was remastered?

Let me clarify something. This is NOT a bad reissue, that's why I gave it three stars. But it's far from perfect.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2012 6:57 AM BST

Breaking Away (Special Edition)
Breaking Away (Special Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid re-issue, 7 Nov 2011
Cherry Pop delivers a solid re-issue of Jaki Graham's 1986 album. The sound quality is quite good, even on the bonus tracks. The only bad thing about the album itself is that it includes too many ballads. However this re-issue is very good and will please most Jaki Graham fans!

Different Light
Different Light

2.0 out of 5 stars Good album, bad mastering!, 26 Sep 2011
This review is from: Different Light (Audio CD)
I usually love Cherry Pop's reissues, but this time I was really disappointed. The original album on disc one sounds great, but the bonus disc with remixes is just awful. I can't even listen to it!

It's a disgrace to reissue albums and include bonus tracks ripped from vinyl, with lots of hissing and other sound issues. So if you're thinking of buying the Cherry Pop reissue for the bonus tracks: DON'T!

Mandy
Mandy

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing special edition, 18 Aug 2011
This review is from: Mandy (Audio CD)
I'm a huge Mandy Smith fan, and I can't resist the Stock Aitken Waterman disco-pop sound of the 80's and early 90's, so this is the perfect reissue of an already great album. The original 1988 album has been remastered and includes lots of rare bonus tracks and remixes, for example "Don't You Want Me Baby", "Got To Be Certain" and the previously unreleased "Terry".

I can't find the words to describe how much I love this reissue. Thank you Cherry Pop, for doing such a fantastic job!

Lipstick
Lipstick

5.0 out of 5 stars Plastic pop, 18 Aug 2011
This review is from: Lipstick (MP3 Download)
Say what you want about Jedward, but they have star quality. Sure, they're not the best live singers in the world, but I love their crazy personalities and electronic pop music. "Lipstick" is a very catchy, plastic pop song, that I'm proud to have in my collection!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3