Profile for S. Bradford > Reviews

Content by S. Bradford

S. Bradford

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and functional, 27 Mar 2013
This chest of drawers is not as solid as it appears in the picture. Also, it is very small and the colour does not look like real wood at all. It is a functional piece but I feel that it is about Ikea quality.

God, Humanity and the Cosmos: A Textbook in Science and Religion
God, Humanity and the Cosmos: A Textbook in Science and Religion
by Christopher Southgate

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent starting point, 30 Nov 2009
I have found Southgate's book one of the most useful books referenced on the Science and Theology module of the University of Cambridge Theology degree. The book provides a great introduction to many of the key issues in the science and theology interface. Southgate tends to reference the more heavy weight authors and make them accessible to the new comer.

My only citicism is of the section on Artificial Intelligence, the references to computing technology are rather out of date and show what might be considered a slightly niave view of software development and computer hardware.

The Lucifer Effect
The Lucifer Effect
by Philip Zimbardo

4.0 out of 5 stars You are average!, 11 Jun 2007
This review is from: The Lucifer Effect (Hardcover)
Well worth reading for everybody who knows somebody else!

The bad: as other reviews state there is quite a bit of repetition, and on occasion it feels like Zimbardo discards disposition through the use of psychological inventories alone.

The good: highlights the evil that systems and situations can encourage whilst not belittling the responsibility of the individual. Provides the reader with practical steps to avoid being drawn into evil behaviour.

The key message for me was that I am thoroughly average and therefore capable of great evil given the right circumstances.

The book has the power to be transformative, I have caught myself in the process of dehumanising others, considering others as "them", and been given an opportunity to change my thinking. As a side effect of this I have been reminded of the way that we are prepared to dehumanise others by the media.

Fundamentals of Glacier Dynamics
Fundamentals of Glacier Dynamics
by C.J.van der Veen

5.0 out of 5 stars Van Der Veen, 6 Jan 2003
Van Der Veen puts together a very good text on almost everything one could want to know about the movement of glaciers from a physical point of view. The individual chapters on various aspects of ice flow modelling are well written and generally concise summaries of existing literature, although they don't help unify the variety of nomenclature used by glaciologists to describe the various approximations of the stress and strain schemes in glaciers.
My only criticism is of the length of section used for his force budget technique.
This book has been invaluable to me in my studies and for me has been of more use than Patterson.