Profile for F. V. J. Platt > Reviews

Content by F. V. J. Platt

F. V. J. Platt "franjosh" (UK)

Triptych
Triptych
by Karin Slaughter

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think.., 11 Oct 2006
This review is from: Triptych (Hardcover)
An excellent twist and turn page turner, not until you are almost half way through the book do you start to even glimpse the full picture.

The first few chapters read like a standard crime who dunnit police novel and then suddenly you turn a page and seem to start a whole new novel. Gradually it starts to come together and at first you think no..I must have this wrong. A little gory in places, disturbing virtually all the way through, not only through the imagery but also through the fact that your sympathy seems to lie with the wrong person and you can't help yourself.

The only criticism I would have is that with a few of the characters, we are offered very small glimpses into their past lives that made me think that I had skipped a Slaughter book somewhere, but no this is a stand alone novel. Hopefully Slaughter is setting us up for a new series, delving into the characters a little more!

Nothing Bad Ever Happens in Tiffany's (Pocket Penguins 70's)
Nothing Bad Ever Happens in Tiffany's (Pocket Penguins 70's)
by Marian Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but sweet, 7 July 2005
I have to admit that I had a little bit of a buying spree on these pocket penguins, and with a an impatient husband waiting, I chose almost at random.
I am a Marian Keyes fan, but when I realised that this wasn't fiction but one of her collections of writing about her life, I wasn't sure that I wold enjoy it.
No worries - it's as funny as her fiction, giving a quick insight into where the ideas and characters for her books come from. Small enough to carry in a bag or read in the bath, but satisfying enough to not leave you feel short changed.
If you've never read any of her books before this is also an excellent introduction