Profile for Ian Williams > Reviews

Content by Ian Williams
Top Reviewer Ranking: 616

Ian Williams "ianw" (Sunderland, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Live 69
Live 69

4.0 out of 5 stars Albert The Great, 23 Oct 2014
This review is from: Live 69 (Audio CD)
Albert King is my favourite Blues guitarist as he was that of JImi Hendrix who knew something about the subject. He has a wonderful deep crooning voice and lashes out razor-sharp licks and he was still doing it when I saw him at Sunderland Empire around 1990, a couple of years before his death and before I'd heard any of his records, though I quickly made up for that.

This is a collection of live stuff he originally played on his Stax albums, accompanied by Booker T & The MGs, displaying an amazing blend of soul-funk-blues. It's probably not his best live album (of which there are many, including another out next month which I have on order) but it's enough to keep me happy for three quarters of an hour and remind me to dig out the Stax CDs.

Miele Complete C2 PowerLine, 1600 watts, Black
Miele Complete C2 PowerLine, 1600 watts, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Well pleased., 15 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very good vacuum cleaner indeed.

It's easy to put together and if I say that, trust me, it has to be really really easy. The various heads are easily accessed in the main body and easily changed. There's a good selection of power levels with the strongest nearly pulling up my laminated floorboards -that may be a slight exaggeration to emphasise how strong it is and you probably won't need to use that setting most of the time.

It's a bag system which I've not been used to recently -my other vacuum cleaner is a Dyson upright- so I'll have to remember to get in a spare bag or two.

The manual is text heavy and diagram light. Usually i complain when it's the other way round, preferring a balance. There's only one diagram which is of the whole machine and lists twenty different bits. You have to read 6 of the 9 text pages to make sure you use the vacuum properly. Maybe not all at once though; I didn't. That said, the text is clear and progresses in a logical manner informing you what you need to first and then...etc, etc.

Forget that bit, the machine itself is well designed and works well. If you like this style of vacuum cleaner you'd have a hard job finding better. As the headline says, I'm well pleased with it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2014 8:51 AM BST

Binatone HomeSurf 844 8-inch Multi Touch Tablet (A23 Dual Core 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM, 8GB Flash Memory, Android KitKat 4.4.2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Considerg if-, 25 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For the price, this is quite a nice bit of kit. Much more compact than the standard Ipad, the 8inch screen is still a reasonable size for Internet use and certainly better than standard phone. Once you've got over the usual clart on of registering with all and sundry, much worse if forgotten a password or two, then it's reasonably easy to use. The manual is even smaller than the tablet itself and is nice and clear and easy to find out what you need.

Because it's the Android O/S, you can't get Itunes and there may be other things you can't get that I haven't yet discovered. There are, however, other ways to get music. You can also expand the memory by adding a 32gb mini SD card.

The first impression I had was that of a cut-down Ipad and after a couple of days with it that impression hasn't changed.

Worth considering if: you're on a budget; you want a smallish tablet, or you just want a handy modestly priced second tablet. It's a nice modest piece of kit.

FlavorCHEF Cooker, Silver
FlavorCHEF Cooker, Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Once you get used to it, it's good., 31 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like this but I have mixed feelings about it.

First off, it is really easy to clean and I mean really easy and doesn't involve hot soapy water. A damp cloth does it. It'll probably stay that way as well as long you clean it the way it's supposed to be cleaned and don't use any metal implements on it while cooking.

The second thing is that something like this is completely new, to me at least, and requires learning how to use to get the best out of it. There is a recipe guide which would have been much improved if it showed you how to cook basic items such as a plain steak, chicken breasts, or pork chops, various vegetables, an omelette before getting into the recipes themselves.

The first item I cooked was a prepared Asda cheese and tomato pizza onto which I sprinkled chopped up chorizo. I checked it after ten minutes on medium-high and the base was a little soft. I then turned it up to high for three more minutes and the result was perfect. Sausages cooked well but it was a bit of a fanny on to get them brown all over as a grill pan wasn't supplied.

The next item was pork loin chops which I didn't cook for long enough and were followed by chicken breasts which I cooked for too long with the result that both were tough but that was my fault. Neither browned properly so perhaps I should have added a little oil, though that rather defeats the purpose of reducing your fat intake. Surprisingly thickly sliced mushrooms cooked very well though it's easy to overcook them.

I do like the timer, though I couldn't turn it down after I'd set it, as, if you've set it right, it means you can walk away and leave it.

Overall I think this is going to be a useful addition to my kitchen as long as I'm prepared to take a little time getting used to it. If you're the sort of person who expects perfection immediately, forget it. But then you probably don't stick at much anyway. Otherwise, particularly if you're trying to reduce your fat intake, worth considering.

Update (five days later).

The more I use this, the more I like.

Yesterday I cooked 3 round medallions of pork with a thickly sliced red pepper and a thickly sliced onion. First I lighted coated the base with oil then put it on medium high. I left the pork to cook for 12 minutes before turning over and adding the pepper and onion a few minutes later. I turned them all over again a few minutes before the end. The result was excellent and, with the small amount of oil, quite healthy.

Today I cooked a couple of haddock fishcakes using a Crisp'n'Dry oil spray (recommended by a friend, thanks Denise). Okay, not exactly haut cuisine, but it did the job.

I really think that other reviewers did not give this item a fair crack of the whip. I definitely like it and, as I'm trying to lose weight, will be using it for the foreseeable future.

Corelle 1.9L Vitrelle Glass Lightweight Bake/Serve/Store Rectangular Baker with Plastic Cover, White

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice., 22 Aug 2014
But not quite perfect.

It's certainly lightweight compared to a ceramic equivalent which is a plus. It cooked pork chops and onions very well this evening. It's a reasonable size and I'll definitely be using it in preference to the metal equivalents I own.

However, it doesn't come with a lid you can use in the oven, just a plastic one to cover after cooking or use in the microwave. I had to use tin foil. Also it takes more effort to clean than manufacturer's description and other reviews suggest. It takes a fair amount of effort and you have to be meticulous in getting rid of every tiny spot. That said, it's still relatively less hard to get it clean than other roasting dishes and tins I've used. Maybe I should have let it soak longer.

Overall, not bad and certainly worth considering.

Update.

Soaking it for at least two hours in hot soapy water makes it much easier to clean.

Philips myGarden Blossom Solar Powered Posts - Anthracite (2 x 1W Integrated LED)

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch the video!, 22 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Memo to self: always read the details carefully. Had I, I might have reconsidered. Not that there's anything wrong with product. Once it's up and running it works fine and does what it's supposed to. I really do like it. However if you aren't very practical or handy, like me, you'll need to get someone in to fit it for you.

Had I watched the video I would have known this. So, before buying, watch the video and, if you do go and buy this, recommended, item, follow its instructions exactly.

Philips YS527/17 Click and Style 2-in-1 Shave and Stubble
Philips YS527/17 Click and Style 2-in-1 Shave and Stubble

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good on the whole, 22 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be honest, I haven't used the trimmer part of it. I ordered it because of the rotary head style which I do like and wasn't disappointed. It's quite lightweight and also delicate so a light touch when using it is best. It's easy to remove the top and because there's no well to speak of it's easy to clean.

Minor-ish quibble: it's very easy to dislodge the head itself so you do need to be careful in case it flips off and ends up somewhere you don't want it to be.

Godzilla Heisei Era ~ Movie Monster~ 6" Bandai Action Figure [Toy] (japan import)

3.0 out of 5 stars Three and half stars-, 17 Aug 2014
-because it's not as good as two other Godzilla figurines I bought recently. No red tongue and no golden eyes (the latter mentioned by an AZ.com reviewer). No tail movement and arms move vertically only, not sideways -I suppose it has to be one or the other, It's okay but if this is your first Godzilla figurine I'd recommended shopping around as there are better available.

Movie Monster series Godzilla 2005 (new molding) (japan import)
Movie Monster series Godzilla 2005 (new molding) (japan import)
Offered by JAPANESE TREASURE (Our price includes customs duty and VAT so you never pay extra charge and products are shipped from UK )

4.0 out of 5 stars Eh, nothing's perfect., 17 Aug 2014
Larger than I expected, which is a definite plus even if it overshadows the other G figurines I own. No red tongue unlike the image. It's easily put together but the upper torso spines have to be inserted separately (as a block, not individually). Sideways movement only for the arms and, as another reviewer pointed out, no tail movement.

But overall it looks good and could probably resist most attempts by a small child to destroy it.

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack Poster Movie Japanese B 11 x 17 In - 28cm x 44cm Chiharu Nîyama Ryudo Uzaki Masahiro Kobayashi Shirô Sano
Offered by Poster Junction - Located in USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, 15 Aug 2014
What you see is exactly what you get: a very striking and attractive Godzilla poster, though the postage more than doubles the price. Still if you're into big G, it's worth it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20