Profile for Ian Williams > Reviews

Content by Ian Williams
Top Reviewer Ranking: 667

Ian Williams "ianw" (Sunderland, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Spinegrinder
Spinegrinder
by Clive Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book of film reviews ever, 3 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Spinegrinder (Paperback)
Essential for people who like cult, weird, wonderful and not so wonderful movies, plus a number of mainstream Hollywood flics. It consists of nearly 8,000 concise and opinionated (the best kind of) reviews. It's particularly good on Japanese movies (no surprise as the author lives in Japan with his extremely understanding Japanese wife) and Asian movies in general. Fans of the DVD Delirium series (of which I'm one) will love this book.

It's also ideal to take to/keep in the toilet as it's perfect for just dipping into for as long as you feel like it, though it may keep you seated in that inner sanctum for longer than you intended.

Whiskas Healthy Joints Cat Treats 55 g
Whiskas Healthy Joints Cat Treats 55 g
Offered by Toy and Gift Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty treat, 1 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be honest, none of my seven cats have, as far as I'm aware, unhealthy joints. I can say that they all love this as a treat.

Godzilla Destroying Rollercoaster Art Print
Godzilla Destroying Rollercoaster Art Print
Offered by Vintage Magazine Company

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 30 Aug. 2015
This isn't Godzilla. It's taken from the 1960 British film Gorgo.

AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 4 Inches (10 Centimeters) - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a little on the short side., 29 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my Ipad4 and the lead slides into the small slot very easily. I confess I can't understand other reviewers saying that they like the long lead as 4 inches isn't what I call long. I could just plug the USB end into the plug, I had to get it all fitted together before putting the plug into the wall socket. I could, of course, have just plugged it directly into my desktop USB slot but the short length made that even more difficult. Another couple of inches in length would be an improvement. Yes, I'm still talking about the USB charging cable.

PRO PLAN Cat LIGHT with OPTI-LIGHT Rich in Turkey, 3kg
PRO PLAN Cat LIGHT with OPTI-LIGHT Rich in Turkey, 3kg

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've a fat cat and can afford it, this is very good., 29 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Purina do an enormously wide range of cat food which varies enormously both in price and corresponding quality. This is the top end and is designed as a low fat food for cats. I suspect it's probably best for cats which either need to go on a diet or to prevent them from needing to go on one in the first place, though equally I can't see it doing any harm to a standard moggie.

Speaking of which, it's worth a brief comparison with standard Go-Cat dried food which they also produce. Opti-light contains 16% turkey whereas the Go-Cat contains 8% rehydrated fish and fish derivatives (tuna and herring). There are other differences but that's neither here nor there and I'm not disparaging Go-Cat which is absolutely fine. Let's face it, an ideal diet for cats is fresh fish, meat, mice and birds

As for cat-appeal, all mine (7 of the little monsters and podgy or not) have enthusiastically eaten it. But when it's gone, it's back to the standard dried food.

BOY MEETS GIRL
BOY MEETS GIRL
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly endearing film on a potentially difficult subject, with a wonderful central performance., 27 Aug. 2015
This review is from: BOY MEETS GIRL (DVD)
Sometimes you find a film which touches you in a place you didn't know you had. This isn't a perfect film by any means but I love it nonetheless, mainly because of the amazing performance by transgender actress Michelle Hendley. Also because it goes places you don't expect it take you and avoids the places you do expect it to go. I found it on Netflix and watched it three times over a couple of weeks

It's about Ricky, an early 20-something openly transgender (and pre-op) woman in a small town in Kentucky. She's outwardly brash, confident, and funny and appears well liked and accepted by those who know her -which is quite a few as she runs a coffee shop. In her spare time she designs clothes and has applied to a New York School of Design from which she's waiting to hear. Her best friend is Robbie, a straight guy who works at her dad's garage and they've been friends since early childhood. Then a girl arrives who has a fiancee in Afghanistan but is drawn to Ricky and things start to get complicated.

As the main story develops we get flashbacks to Ricky's earlier life extracts from a video she created five years earlier on her computer which seems to show her in a very dark place.

But while the film does have its darker moments the overall tone is light and often funny, particularly in the conversations between Ricky and Robbie and most especially when they're talking about sex and relationships as Ricky is not very experienced. There's nothing really salacious and anything physical is handled delicately. The one scene of nudity is absolutely essential to the film and is, I consider, a very brave act on the part of Hendley.

This turned out to be one of the most enchanting yet naturalistic and warm films I've ever seen. Do give it a try.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2015 9:51 AM BST

My Normal [DVD] [2010] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
My Normal [DVD] [2010] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

4.0 out of 5 stars If you want something a little different this might be for you., 26 Aug. 2015
I watched this on Netflix where it was given a 15 rating. Given that it's the story of a lesbian dominatrix who wants to get into movie production that may seem rather generous but is in fact about right in that while it's quite sexy and relatively explicit about the dom side of things it's a long way from being erotic. I'm being generous with a four star rating (three and a half is about right) but it is quite entertaining rather than a piece of exploitation, with several touches of humour and the ending left me with a broad smile on my face. The lead actress is very good too as she makes her character rather appealing.

Rosewood Canberra Cat Tunnel
Rosewood Canberra Cat Tunnel

3.0 out of 5 stars Not an instant attraction, 23 Aug. 2015
Number of cats in my home: 7

Number of days I've had this item: 6

Number of times my cats have used it*: 0

Unless, of course, as soon as my back is turned they all jump on it but as there is no sign of wear whatsoever this would seem to be unlikely. I don't know why, as it seems quite solidly made, but it just hasn't engaged their interest. Your cat or cats may be different.

* Now when I say used it, I mean used it for the purpose for which it was intended. One of them did, however, find a different use -see photo.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Teen Titans Volume 1 TP Blinded By The Light (The New 52)
Teen Titans Volume 1 TP Blinded By The Light (The New 52)
by Kenneth Rocafort

4.0 out of 5 stars Titans got better., 22 Aug. 2015
Definite improvement here even though it is basically laying the groundwork for this new series. Nice artwork, mostly by Rocafort and the two fill-ins, if not as good, are tonally similar.

The clutter of the older series has been cleared away and it looks like the Titans are going into partnership with S.T.A.R. Labs, manipulated into it by the new Manchester Black who is either a villainous-ish hero or a villainous villain. New team member is the new Power Girl, a promising character given her powers and authority to use the name by the original PG who is now back on Earth 2. Wonder Girl, who has a bunch of WG wannabees following her around, finds her mother back in her life with hints of lots of secrets to their relationship.

It's not perfect but I enjoyed it more than previous revival and think it's got lots of potential. Worth a try.

The Killing Kind
The Killing Kind
by Chris Holm

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tough unputdownable thriller, 22 Aug. 2015
This review is from: The Killing Kind (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Haunted by his actions in black ops, Hendricks now kills killers working for the Mob. When the Mob realise what's going on they hire a sadistic European assassin to bring him down.

Fast-paced, well written, and with good characters, this will appeal to fans of Lee Childs. It's been a while since I've read a thriller but I got through this in three short sessions and as soon as I finished I went on to Amazon and bought one of the author's earlier books. The ending leaves (spoiler alert) room for a sequel and I'll be first in line.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20