Profile for JB Johnston > Reviews

7 Years Bad Sex
7 Years Bad Sex
by Nicky Wells

5.0 out of 5 stars I WISH I COULD GIVE IT MORE STARS!, 5 May 2015
This review is from: 7 Years Bad Sex (Paperback)
7 Years Bad Sex is such a fantastic book that had so many laugh out loud moments and so many cringe-worthy moments that it was just so difficult to put down. Over-riding all this, is a beautiful love story that will just take your breath away.

Imagine that every time you tried to make love to the love of your life, you were hit with some sort of disaster because of some ancient curse! Imagination the frustration! Imagine the inventive ways you will need to come up with to try to break the curse. Imagine the fun you will have trying! Its very difficult not to fall in love with the characters in this book. They are such a sweet couple who seem to click together so well. With lots of secondary characters adding to the fun I defy anyone not to fall in love with this book. Nicky Wells has excelled herself once again and given us another amazing story that is filled with so many sweet, funny and laughable moments. The main message in this book for me was that love will win every time!

Catching Cassidy (Harborside Nights, Book One) New Adult Romance
Catching Cassidy (Harborside Nights, Book One) New Adult Romance

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!, 4 May 2015
I always get very excited at starting a new series of books but particularly excited when its one by Melissa Foster. Since I began reviewing Melissa's books I find myself totally hooked on them. And, Catching Cassidy is no exception. The first book in the Harborside Night series, it really kicks the series off with a bang! Told from the perspectives of Cassidy and Wyatt we see how their relationship has moved on from childhood friends to two people who simply want to rip each others clothes off! They both find it hard to ignore the sexual chemistry that is sizzling between them but a family tragedy confuses things and moving on from being more than friends is something that holds risks for both of them. Should they risk their friendship or jump straight into a full blown love affair? If it all goes wrong there is more at stake than their own broken hearts.

This book is steamy in places but tastefully written although I do guarantee you will need a cold shower after each chapter! I adore a love story between friends given that I fell in love and married my own best friend! It does happen! So looking forward to the next book in the series!

The Last Campaign of Marianne Tambour: A Novel of Waterloo
The Last Campaign of Marianne Tambour: A Novel of Waterloo

5.0 out of 5 stars An Epic tale!, 13 April 2015
I am not usually a fan of historical fiction but I must say, after reading this book, I have really changed my mind! David Ebsworth has created such brave women, particularly the fiery character in Marianne Tambour that I could not help but feel that I was there, on the battlefield with her. She was definitely as brave and fearsome as any man, fighting for her life and the lives of those dear to her. Indeed, the women in this book are anything but weak. Throughout the telling of this story, the reader is witness to the savagery of war and the costs it brings. Some of the scenes are graphic but then so is war! Marianne has an equally fearsome adversary in Liberte Dumont who I found to be an interesting and equally compelling character.

David Ebsworth's attention to detail in this book is amazing and if I didn't know anything about the Napoleonic wars beforehand, I certainly do now! Written so beautifully, his writing style instantly transports you to this period in time. I can only imagine the amount of research required to write such a book and David Ebsworth's skill at dissecting all the relevant information and turning it into something as terrific as this book is clearly evident. This telling of the story of war through the experiences of two women will pull you in right from the beginning. Before reading this book I had no idea of the part women played in such battles. I shall definitely be looking out for more of David Ebsworth's writing after reading this intelligent, eloquently written and interesting book with an amazingly story.

Crashing into Love (Love in Bloom: The Bradens)
Crashing into Love (Love in Bloom: The Bradens)

5.0 out of 5 stars sexy!, 19 Mar. 2015
What another fab book by Melissa Foster. She seems to be the writer who keeps on giving, producing fantastic book after fantastic book. This book finishes Jake Braden's story and what a way to finish! This is a wonderfully sexy and passionate book and I loved it. Those Braden boys are oh so yum!
Fiona made the mistake of her life when she was younger and split from the scrumptious Jake who is now a successful stuntman (ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh). She is determined to get him back and who can blame her. He is sexy, brave and a bit of a rogue and a ladies man. Ever since Fiona 'broke' him all those years ago he has not committed to any kind of relationship and has a very unhealthy outlook on love in general. However, as his siblings are all falling in love and settling down, Jake is starting to feel a little bit lonely and left out. Once he connects with Fiona again, the playboy lifestyle and barriers around his heart he had worked so hard at putting up, now don't seem quite so attractive to him. Despite having a job where he literally takes his life in his hands on a daily basis, the thought of how Fiona affects him frightens him more than any stunt.

This is another sure fire Melissa Foster hit. A sad story at the heart of it exploring mistakes made in the past and being brave enough to try to put it right. Its about taking a chance on love despite the chance that your heart could get broken. Crashing Into Love just proves that sometimes true love never really dies - you just have to sometimes help someone to see that no matter how difficult they make it for you. Highly recommended. Can be read as a standalone but why would you not want to read the entire series? Are you nuts?

Introducing Charlotte
Introducing Charlotte

4.0 out of 5 stars it is better written. Introducing Charlotte is Charlotte Hains debut novel ..., 11 Mar. 2015
Introducing Charlotte will totally appeal to fans of 50 Shades of Grey with the difference being, it is better written. Introducing Charlotte is Charlotte Hains debut novel and a Bookbzz finalist this year! The book follows Charlotte who has escaped a violent relationship and with the help of her friend Anthony and his friends, help Charlotte gain her confidence again. However, this confidence is gained in the most unexpected of ways. Charlotte is introduced to the world of Dominants and Submissives in a world where control is the key to ultimate pleasure. It seems a strange way for a woman who has experienced violence in her life to be drawn into this world but it works for Charlotte. It is basically the story of a sexual awakening and the pursuit of love, pleasure and taking control of one's own desires and needs. Obviously this book will cater to specific tastes in the genre of erotic fiction and may not appeal to all tastes. But, for those who wish to explore this area of eroticism then Introducing Charlotte will be perfect. The book has quite a lot of sexual content so readers should bear this in mind. Charlotte Hains is undoubtedly the new name in erotic fiction!

Cherringham - A Lesson in Murder: A Cosy Crime Series
Cherringham - A Lesson in Murder: A Cosy Crime Series

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little mystery!, 11 Mar. 2015
This was the first book I have read in the Cosy Crime Series. What a fantastic idea this set of books is! Perfect if you want something good and quick to read but a short story is too short and a book is too long! For those of us that love books, we have to be reading something, no matter how short on time we are! I was able to read this book in one sitting.

The book follows Sarah and Jack, private detectives who have been hired to investigate mysterious goings on at a private girls school in England. I loved the fact that Jack is from America and an ex cop and Sarah is English and a bit of a computer whizz! Their different styles of working perfectly compliment one another. I love a book where two characters manage to bounce off each other in such a way.

If you love a good old mystery to get your teeth into then this book is perfect! A bit of a cross between Midsomer Murders and Johnathan Creek is the best way I can describe it. Its very cleverly written and the story really pulled me in from the beginning! A great little whodunit with some super characters! I think this is a series I could really get hooked on. Although this book can be read as a standalone I think I'm sufficiently intrigued now to go and read the entire series! Highly recommended.

The Ice Twins
The Ice Twins
by S. K. Tremayne

5.0 out of 5 stars super creepy!, 8 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Ice Twins (Hardcover)
When a tragic accident leaves one of Sarah and Angus's twin daughters dead, the couple eventually decide to begin a new life on a remote Scottish island that Angus inherits. However, doubt starts to creep into Sarah's mind about her remaining daughter and she fears that she made a terrible mistake when she identified the dead twin. Her surviving daughter certainly starts to display some very disturbing behaviour and Sarah and Angus are at completely opposing views with regards to this behaviour and the right course of action to take. As a reader, I found myself trying to analyse the behaviour and give reasons why it was happening along with Sarah.
The Ice Twins is a darkly, atmospheric read that will have you on the edge of your seat the whole way through. It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. The best time to read the book is on a dark and stormy night with the wind howling outside! The symbolism of the stormy weather in the book reflects the stormy and tumultuous time that the family are going through. This is not a fast paced book, but instead takes the reader on a journey that becomes increasingly fraught with fear, doubt and grief. The build up to the earth shattering climax had me a nervous wreck! I really loved this book as its full of twists, turns and a few lump in the throat moments. And, just when you think you have it figured out...........you don't! Super creepy and fantastically written. Highly recommended!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2015 1:01 PM GMT

A Spell in Provence
A Spell in Provence

5.0 out of 5 stars It had me hooked!, 8 Mar. 2015
A Spell in Provence is one of those books that makes you almost believe you are there. Marie Laval's descriptions of the French countryside, the sights and sounds and the wonderful food transported me to Provence! Despite Bellafontaine's dark history and on-going mysteries I was intrigued by the place. Add into the mix a very handsome French Duke, an unsolved mystery spanning through many generations and passion, then this is a perfect book for me.
Marie Laval has spun an intriguing tale of affairs, cults, murder and mystery into this book that will hook the reader instantly. Throughout the story we are given little snippets of information to try to solve the mystery of Bellafontaine and there are a few creepy scenes in the book that did make the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Amy is a likeable character who appears to be plagued by bad luck and Fabien is her dashing Duke, always coming to her rescue. But, is he to be trusted? Can Amy trust anyone at all, even herself? You'll have to read the book to find out! Highly recommended.

Seaside Secrets (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers)
Seaside Secrets (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 27 Feb. 2015
Every time I read a Melissa Foster book I come away thinking, 'Oh that was my absolute favourite one!' Then, I read the next book and I say, 'oh that one was definitely the one!' Her books are that good and I adore the Seaside Summers series! This book was the one that made me have little sighing sobs at certain parts. Tony and Amy's secret is just sooooooooooo heart-breaking. Tony is just so yum and Amy is just so vulnerable. It was good to see Tony's vulnerability too around the one thing that broke his heart and the past he and Amy shared. I wanted to squish them both together in a big hug! Amy has a big decision to make that ultimately change her life forever and in turn Tony's. I have really enjoyed following this very sweet couple in their journey.

Melissa Foster has a wonderful talent for describing a love scene in such a way that is tasteful yet totally passionate. Seaside Secrets is a beautiful story and that ending is something else! I just loved the special guest appearance!!! This lucky group of Seaside sisters share so much together and the ending for them in this book was just absolutely perfect and how it should be. Another fantastic Melissa Foster book full of love, humour, passion and just the right amount of tear-jerking moments! Highly recommend.

The Edge of Sanity
The Edge of Sanity

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant read!, 10 Feb. 2015
The Edge of Sanity is a new type of book from Sheryl Browne. Best known and loved for her rom-coms, this book is so different and yet so brilliant! Sheryl has created interesting and complex characters within the book and each is fighting their own personal battle. The story shows how one man who is good and decent, will go to any lengths to save and protect the ones he loves. The back story, which is vital to helping us understand Daniel and his family is heartbreaking and the reader feels such empathy and sympathy with Daniel. It takes one tragedy to tear the family apart but their love for one another will ultimately be their greatest strength.
The Edge of Sanity is the type of book that I found very hard to put down. It is exciting, frightening and thrilling all at once. It kept me up very late at night reading. One chapter at a time was never enough. I needed to know what happened. The plot is well planned and clever and the story is brilliantly executed. If you like psychological thrillers then this book is definitely one for you. Very highly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9