Profile for Peter Hidas > Reviews

Content by Peter Hidas

Peter Hidas "phidas" (Oslo, Norway)

Enemies of the People: My Family's Journey to America
Enemies of the People: My Family's Journey to America
by Kati Marton

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and truthful - at least for us fomer Hungarians, 13 Dec. 2009
This book is the dramatic story of the parents of the author, Kati Marton, during the second world war and the communist regime. The parents (they were Jewish) come through as interesting, charming, devoted people, one of a kind. I was living in Hungary during the years the book mostly covers (1940-1956), for me it contains lots and lots of stuff and remembrances. New information as well. I believe that everything in the book is "true", nothing is exaggerated or rings false.

Why do I give it 4 stars and not 5? Because the last 25% (after the parents and Kati arrived to the promised land, the USA) is a bit too much for my taste. Perhaps it is a necessity, so people who are not from Hungary "get it".

Still, this is one of the best non-fiction books about the communist era behind the iron curtain I have read. (The other one is "Swimming across" by Andy Grove.)

IT Value Stack: A Boardroom Guide to IT Leadership
IT Value Stack: A Boardroom Guide to IT Leadership
by Ade McCormack

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not important, 9 Aug. 2009
This is a book about IT for board members. It contains many interesting themes and viewpoints though they are often of the kind "this is how things should be". Nevertheless, I feel the intended audience will not get past the introduction. Perhaps the book is better suited as a tool in the hands of CIOs or consultants who want to explain matters to their board. All in all I do not think the book will make much difference.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2009 5:15 PM BST

Poorly Made in China: An Insider's Account of the Tactics Behind China's Production Game
by Paul Midler

4.0 out of 5 stars A fresh view of Chinese business practices, 9 July 2009
Paul Midler has got lots of hands-on experience about what business relations between Chinese manufacturers and US or European importers look like and feel. For me, he presented a totally new, unexpected and scary picture of things. The book is generally interesting, and of special value for those who want to do business in China.