Profile for G R > Reviews

The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Story, 14 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
I spotted this book a while back in my local supermarket when it first came out and was intrigued by its premise so bought it on a whim - and I am so glad that I did! This book is perhaps one of the best books I have read in a long long long time (and I read a lot of books) purely because it is the first time in ages I have read a book which is just a great story with liekable characters and which doesn't try to be clever or bizarre or have some random twist in the middle - it is what it is and I loved every second of it! BUY IT!

The Husband
The Husband
by Dean Koontz

5.0 out of 5 stars UNPUTDOWNABLE, 6 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Husband (Paperback)
I bought this book on a whim whilst looking for something to read on a short 3 hour flight I had to Poland. Once we had taken off I opened up and started to read and the next thing I knew the flight was over. 5 days later when I returned I finished the book on the flight home and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed every single moment of it and was gripped by the tense storyline and the likable main lead who you really root for from the end of the first chapter to the end of the book.

Buy this book now - you will not be disappointed and look out for the movie which is apparently coming out later this year!

Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)
Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)
Offered by Rush Gaming
Price: 219.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wii-tastic, 15 Nov 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I agree with the previous reviewer that you need to ignore the review by Gamer and ignore his stupid rating. I am what I like to call a "hardcore" Nintendo fan and have followed them since the NES and have never really been disappointed by what they do, except maybe for ROB but that was just a lame add on and not a console in its self, so that doesn't count.

Look at the history of Nintendo and the great games they offer - or KILLER games as Gamer would say - as well as the technological advancements in how we play games.

NES had the original Zelda and Donkey Kong and introduced us to the D-Pad which defined the way we play games today

Super NES had the amazing Link to the Past and Super Mario World (which I played yesterday - never get bored of that one) and introduced us to the shoulder buttons which allowed gamers to go that one step further and developers to create trickier games.

The Virtual Boy was next and even though this never succeeded to do well it showed how far ahead in advance Nintendo was for the time and although I don't own one but I have played on one and it was, well, a bit bizarre, but at least they try to do something out of the norm!

The N64 had some awesome titles including Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Mario 64 and, of course, Ocarina of Time. The N64 also introduced us to the analogue stick which without we would not be playing half the games we play today.

Then there is the Gameboy - the best and original handheld console which has been revamped a few times over the years and has some amazing games to play from Tetris through to Mario & Luigi.

The doomed Gamecube came next - an amazing console overpowered by XBox and PS2 which left the Cube underrated and understated. But look at some of the games - Wind Waker, Eternal Darkness, Mario Kart Double Dash, Paper Mario and Resident Evil 4 to name just a few of the excellent titles available. And who could forget Donkey Konga - how many other consoles see you playing the bongos?

Finally the DS - an amazing piece of technology with some of the cleverest games ever made - yes there are the great ones such as New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart DS but the real great games are Trauma Centre, Phoenix Wright, Another Code not forgetting Animal Crossing and Brain Training.

So look back over the history of Nintendo and you will see that the Wii will have some KILLER titles and the launch line up is looking fantasic already with Twilight Princess, Trauma Centre: Second Opinion and Red Steel. And as for the controls - even comparing these to the Eyetoy is completely wrong - the Eyetoy used a whole bunch of (mainly crap) mini-games to play whilst the wireless Remote on the Wii is a brand new way of playing games and will be used to play almost every Wii game from those involving mini-games (Rayman) to epic adventures (Zelda) and even FPS (Red Steel).

My final argument for the Wii is this - PS3 is the main competition and their newest gimmick is a "tilt sensor" built into the remote. I know some PS fans who were going on about this like it was the greatest thing ever created - errrrr, Nintendo did that in 2001 with Kirby Tilt and Tumble on the Gameboy so it is hardly cutting edge technology compared to what the Wii will offer.

So there you have it, although I don't deny that X360 and PS3 will no doubt have some great games on them I believe that the Wii will be the greatest next-gen console due to its creativeness and the fact that Nintedno has a great history of games and is always changing the way we play games. So if you a real gamer and want to actually, physically play games then the Wii is for you - if you are a couch potato who wants to sit on the sofa with a joypad in your hand playing racing games and FPS games then please feel free to spend your 450 on a PS3.

That is all

Oh - one last thing, Blu-Ray player on PS3 - WASTE OF TIME!!!!!

Respect M.E.
Respect M.E.
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars THE GREATEST GREATEST HITS ALBUM EVER?, 4 Sep 2006
This review is from: Respect M.E. (Audio CD)
Before I dive into how much i love this album I think I need to make it clear that I am a 25 year old middle class white guy who is not really into the whole R&B / Rap scene but there are some R&B / Rap artists out there who I do like and Missy Elliott is by far my favourite. I like to think that she is a "ghetto" version of Madonna who is constantly changing her image and always seems to be one step ahead of the game and always comes up with something original and unique which captures the music and the moment. She writes some amazing lyrics which seem to effortlessly flow with the beats and it always comes together to produce a great sounding record. This album has 17 of her best tracks to date including her earlier stuff such as Hit Em Wit Da Hee and Beep Me 911 to the track that got her noticed and made her more popular Get UR Freak On and onto her most experimental tracks Work It and Lose Control. Her latest offering We Run This is also a great track. I am not going to say you need to buy this album as it is destined to be a modern classic or anything but I will say that if you like Missy Elliott and admire her work and her perseverance and passion for the trade then this album is a must have for your collection.

I'm Not Dead
I'm Not Dead
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.87

5.0 out of 5 stars FOURTH TIME BEST?, 7 July 2006
This review is from: I'm Not Dead (Audio CD)
I remember when I was working in the USA and I was buying dodgy CD's in a stall in Chinatown and I bought "Can't Take Me Home" by Pink. I had never heard of Pink or any of her songs but I bought the CD anyway and I put it on in the car driving home and loved it. Then came "Mizundastood" which I bought expecting more of the same and was surprised by some of the rockier tracks, but I also loved that album and can honestly say it is the first album I owned that I could listen to from beginning to end without skipping a track. "Try This" was next and I was a little disappointed with it but it did have some excellent tracks on it.

Now we have "I'm Not Dead" and Pink certainly is not dead, this is by far her best album, mixing the best parts of her first three albums to create a corker of a CD. Some of the tracks are amazing and have some really insightful lyrics and some great riffs. My personal favoutrite is "Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)" which has made its way into my top 10 tracks of all time. Rumour has it this won't be a single - it should be, but I am sure whatever they release will be great as there is not one bad track on this CD.

BUY IT NOW - YOU WON'T REGRET IT!

Superstar [DVD]
Superstar [DVD]
Dvd ~ Molly Shannon

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest movie i have ever seen, 24 Jan 2001
This review is from: Superstar [DVD] (DVD)
Last summer I worked in America for 6 months and whilst there I spent a lot of time in the local video shop renting films. One of the films I watched was "Superstar" starring Molly Shannon and Will Ferrel. I had already seen these two actors in hilarious films, Shannon as Anita in Never Been Kissed and Ferrel as Mustafa in Austin Powers as well as stars of Saturday Night Live.
It tells the story of a geeky type girl who is 15 and at High School where she has the biggest crush in the world on the high school hunk. All she wants is for him to notice her and decides the best way to do this is through the Talent Contest. However, this will not be as easy as she thinks as her school friends are all in special ed, the bimbos and jocks hate her and her Granny is 52 cards short of a deck.
I watched the film that night and was so impressed and so dehydrated from crying with laughter that I pressed rewind and watched it again. I don't know what was funnier, two thirty somethings playing 15 year olds or Molly Shannon snogging a tree several times.
Overall, having seen this film about 20 times and eagerly awaiting for it to be published in the UK, I highly recommend you treat yourself and buy it, if you don't find it funny then there is something seriously wrong with you - I would give it 6 stars if I could. Enjoy.