Profile for Wassim > Reviews

The Road to Iraq: The Making of a Neoconservative War
The Road to Iraq: The Making of a Neoconservative War
by Dr Muhammad Idrees Ahmad

4.0 out of 5 stars Separating the Myth from Fact, 6 Oct 2014
A well researched and thorough analysis of the factors that let to the 2003 invasion as well as a debunking of the more common myths (ie. It was all about oil, all about one group of people, or all about one ideology). I haven't read IR books in a very long time out of sheer fatigue, but with everything going on right now the subject matter of this book couldn't be more timely. Idrees Ahmed is tackling an ambitious project here , so reading can be tough going sometimes, but the conclusion to each chapter helps to sum up the main premise and keep you focused on the subject matter.

Memories, Dreams, Reflections (Flamingo)
Memories, Dreams, Reflections (Flamingo)
by C. G. Jung

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 5 April 2014
A heartfelt book written sincerely by an incredible individual. I knew little of Jung before reading this and have no interest in delving into his various books on psychology. Yet his reflections on events in his life and his personal approach to faith and spirituality were deeply touching and something I could identify with. A beautiful book.

Enchiridion (Dover Thrift Editions)
Enchiridion (Dover Thrift Editions)
by Epictetus

5.0 out of 5 stars Profound, 5 April 2014
I like it, and for anybody bewildered by the modern condition and dealing with life's ups and downs, this book remains surprisingly relevant. I've read it several times now and it's almost become a habit for me to recall relevant phrases for situations I encounter during the day. I've been a big fan of Stoicism as a philosophy of life for a number of years now and I recommend having this book to flick through during your morning commute to work or even whilst having a coffee.

Sea side
Sea side
by Mariyah & Abufares

3.0 out of 5 stars A Glimpse into a Vanished World, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Sea side (Paperback)
Firstly I must admit that I bought this book out of purely selfish reasons. As a Syrian myself I love the idea of more Syrian authors getting out there and writing - any story would do. The world needs more writers and less fighting.

When I started reading the story I had no expectations but found myself pleasantly surprised by the touching conclusion. It's a simple tale of people loving, living and scheming and it made my coffee breaks at work a bit more fun. For the authors it is clearly a labour of love, and their humility shows in the unabashed simplicity of the plot. The name Victor Danko sounds like a character out of an eighties schlock crime thriller and Dr Youssef, one of the main protagonists and a bit of a lech, reminds us several times in the story that his love interest Amar has a "cute butt" - classy. A good laugh and some minor intrigue to boot.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Autobiography of Malcolm X (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Malcolm X

5.0 out of 5 stars You must read this book, 4 Feb 2011
Malcolm X made an honest reflection of his life and the decisions he made. At the same time he allows the reader a glimpse into the intense passion and spirituality that this man sought. The end of the book still makes my hair tingle and his prophetic words of his own death are all the more chilling as you know that the man who wrote them was to die soon afterwards. You must read this book once in your life.

Avicenna
Avicenna
by Lenn E. Goodman

5.0 out of 5 stars Must be read over and over, 4 Feb 2011
This review is from: Avicenna (Paperback)
As any early student of philosophy, you quickly learn that you can't just browse a philosophy text in one afternoon and 'get it'. Goodman's book on Avicenna truly does justice to this remarkable philosopher but you need to be patient and trust in Goodman's masterful use of language to bring the point across. Philosophy texts, especially by modern Western philosophers, tend to be horrendously complicated and cryptic. What I liked about this book is that Goodman effectively brings the philosopher and the themes he tackled to life and as a student of Arabic philosophy you will be immensely grateful. You could actually sit and have a cup of coffee whilst reading this book, then mull over what has been written to come up with a better understanding. I feel he's done a great justice to Avicenna and helped in making his works more accessible to a Western, English-speaking audience. Strongly recommended.

Zorba the Greek
Zorba the Greek
by Nikos Kazantzakes

2.0 out of 5 stars A tad disappointing, 4 Feb 2011
This review is from: Zorba the Greek (Paperback)
I have to admit I began reading this book with high expectations. The name Zorba the Greek is famous in literature and it was sad to find my hopes dashed so quickly. Perhaps what I found most off-putting was the mish-mash of philosophical explorations that the author explored through the main protagonist. Zorba, the happy go-lucky simple man for whom life and women are a mystery to be revelled in as well as suffered under, didn't really strike me as profound and I couldn't really connect with any of the characters in the story. I finished the book out of a sense of obligation to the hopes I had held for it once. Maybe I will leave it for some time and re-read it again one day, but at the moment, six months later, the thought is not one I relish.

A History of the Arab Peoples
A History of the Arab Peoples
by Albert Hourani

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully descriptive, 4 Feb 2011
The challenge that Albert Hourani was attempting was no simple matter, however, he's had a marvellous go at it. I simply loved the way he shaped words to bring across exactly what he thought about particular subjects and where the book fails in terms of depth it certainly makes up for in the areas he aimed to cover. Hourani, rather than going for a simple chronological account of Arabian history, instead groups together certain events in a period with a theme from a sociological, cultural or political point of view.

One other thing I noticed is Hourani's style. He inserts a few nuggets in the text which are easy to miss, but which I found quite descriptive and eloquent. So whilst describing despots or tyrants he would say something like

"power is not comfortable unless it can turn itself into legitimate authority"

If you like that kind of style you will enjoy this book.

Complete Works
Complete Works
by Plato

5.0 out of 5 stars What more can be said?, 4 Feb 2011
This review is from: Complete Works (Hardcover)
Plato's works speak for themselves. I know you can get a lot of the material for free on the internet or in little (and cheaper pamphlets) but frankly the hardback is put together wonderfully, making it a joy to find what you want all in one place. It is a wonderful addition to any bookshelf and great to dive into every now and then. I used this as an MA Philosophy student and it was a constant companion during my Greek Philosophy modules.

Classical Arabic Philosophy: An Anthology of Sources
Classical Arabic Philosophy: An Anthology of Sources
by Jon McGinnis

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable help to any student of Arabic philosophy, 4 Feb 2011
The translation of the Arabic language material is first-rate and, in many cases, was probably more enjoyable than reading the original material. As a fluent speaker of both Arabic and English it was a challenge to read the material in its original form. Furthermore, the introduction was excellent and helped provide a good overview of the development of Arabic philosophy and the various currents within it. This was an invaluable reference whilst I did my postgraduate MA in Philosophy.

Page: 1 | 2