Profile for Cricket Chris > Reviews

Cricket Chris

You Can Cook Indian Takeaway
You Can Cook Indian Takeaway

5.0 out of 5 stars We have a winner!, 2 Jan 2013
I must have bought around 30 curry related cookbooks on my mission to replicate takeaway curry at home, but all of them fell short... Until now. This little gem strips away all the mystique and mystery around making what most Brits would call a decent curry house curry. Are they authentic? Who cares! They look, smell and taste fantastic and that's all that matters. And to make things even better, this book costs less than £1! So, for all you curry lovers out there on the hunt for the recipes you love in your local, do yourself a favour and download this bad boy. What have you got to lose but £1 and some memory on your device. What you could gain is access to curry Shangri-la (thats's curry makers heaven and not the name of my favourite curry house!) Enjoy!

Good Food: Slow-cooking Recipes: Triple-tested Recipes
Good Food: Slow-cooking Recipes: Triple-tested Recipes
by Sharon Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, hearty & healthy slow cooking recipes made easy!, 19 Dec 2010
With freezing temperatures and snow on the ground I thought it was time to start cooking much more heartier and more robust family meals. So when I saw the GF 101 Slow-cooking Recipes advertised for under £5, I thought "why not"? Even if I found only a couple of recipes I liked out of the 101, it would be worth it. So to discover that it was a veritable treasure trove of ideas for delicious family meals was a real bonus.

Many of the recipes are all staples (or variations of staples) that one would expect to see in most cookbooks found in British homes - Lancashire Hotpot, Beef & Stout stew, Roast Chicken, etc, but there are others for the more adventurous, such as Rabbit & Mushroom Hotpot & Guinea Fowl with Mustard & Lemon Roots. Often, I find cookbooks either assume too much knowledge or speak to you like you're a complete idiot - the tone of this book however was just right with enough information to stretch the kitchen proficient and novice alike.

Whilst the emphasis is on meat dishes (and as an unreconstructed man who loves his meat this is not bad a thing), there are however a fine array of vegetarian dishes within this book which is great for those occasions when one has to provide a meal for non meat-eaters. I haven't tried any of them yet but the Moroccan Tagine and the Butterbean & Squash Crumble look delicious. Which brings me on to another thing I like about this book, it takes the fear out of using unusual (well in my household anyway) ingredients. I've never cooked with a squash before or with haricot beans but having now done so (at least once) I most certainly will do so again. It's also nice to have dishes from around the world to be able to try. Slow cook recipes from China, the Catalan region, France, the UK, Greece, SE Asia, etc are all contained in one little book with some great pictures to show you what it's supposed to look like. And for those of us with a sweet tooth, there are a number of cakes/puddings/desserts to try. Again, I haven't tried any of them as yet but I do like the look of the Squidgy Lemon-Ginger Cake and the Apricot, Almond & Ricotta Cake.

If I had to be critical of anything it would be the desire for more fish recipes (we don't eat enough fish in my household principally because I don't really know how to cook it properly). There is only one fish recipe - Oven-poached Salmon with Pepper & Basil Sauce - but given the cost of whole salmon, it is unlikely I will be trying this one anytime soon! I guess, generally speaking, fish isn't meant to be slow-cooked as it's easy to overcook it, nevertheless it would have been nice to have a couple more choices.

So all in all, I really really rate this cookbook! The choice of recipes, the tone, the different ingredients etc, work to make this a superb addition to anyone's bookshelf. Add to it the fact that it costs less than a fiver, it really is superb value.

PS, my favourite dish so far is the Spiced Lamb & Squash Stew. In my opinion however, the recipe, whilst delicious, lacks a certain punch. If you, like me need a bit more fire in your belly, especially in winter time, why not try adding a scotch bonnet (or 2!) at stage one (with the onions, garlic and ginger). It definitely gives this dish a much needed pep up (although my wife, who doesn't share my love of spicy food might disagree with me!)

Sennheiser 502542 PMX 80 Sport II Sport Headphones
Sennheiser 502542 PMX 80 Sport II Sport Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser PMX 80 Sport II - Sport Line headphones, 19 July 2009
These are a fantastic set of headphones. I'm a regular gym user/runner and had been using the in-ear type for many years. But after a few months of friction rubbing whilst in the ear and sweat, the in ear buds pop out of your ear at inopportune moments. So I sought a pair of fixed frame earphones and after extensive research I found the Sennheiser PMX 80 Sport II - Sport Line headphones.

I can't tell you how glad I was to have made this choice. For starters, they are sooo comfortable. I was concerned that the behind the neck frame would have been uncomfortable or take some getting used to, but I needn't have worried - they fitted well straight away.

I'm also very impressed with the sound quality. They have excellent sound across the range. They could be a bit louder and bass-ier (for instance, when you're road running you can sometimes hear vehicles over the music when your iPod's on full (but I guess the recorded level could be an issue).

Overall, these are an excellent pair of headphones for sport. They look good and are good value for money.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Cricket Slipover, 12 Jun 2009
Really nice design, maroon and yellow colours (West Indies colours). Loose fitting, hangs very well.