Profile for E. Davies > Reviews

Content by E. Davies

E. Davies (Reading, England)

Pets with Tourette's
Pets with Tourette's
by Mark Leigh

1.0 out of 5 stars Do they even know what tourettes is? Ignorant, disablist rubbish., 6 Nov 2011
This review is from: Pets with Tourette's (Hardcover)
I have tourettes syndrome. Like 90% - yes 90% - of people with tourettes, I do not swear. Coprolalia (involuntary swearing) is a feature of tourettes that only 10% of tourettes sufferers have. As a sufferer I get this kind of abuse every day. Can you imagine what's it's like to be walking down the street twitching, hopping and yelping? Can you imagine the type of stares I get, and the comments people shout at me? Then people think it is "funny" to make fun of people like us. I am fed up to the back teeth of this ignorant rubbish that people like me with tourettes have to suffer.

If you were to make fun of a person with Down's Syndrome or autism or someone in a wheelchair you would be branded as a bad person. So why do people feel they have a free reign to make fun of people with tourettes? TOURETTES IS NOT A JOKE. And it's NOT about swearing. If I could give this book zero stars I would.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2013 1:15 PM BST

Child Language: A Resource Book for Students (Routledge English Language Introductions)
by Jean Stilwell Peccei
Price: 18.89

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful resource for students, 3 Dec 2009
As a student speech and language therapist I was recommended this book by a lecturer, and as he refers to it every week, I thought I would buy it rather than fighting with 30 other students to find it in the library every week.

It is a very useful book, with plenty of examples and things for you to actively do, rather than passively reading. It is informative and written in a language that is easy to understand. It is very useful to anyone studying child language development. My only criticism would be the very long quotes from other people's books: a short summary would have been better.

Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground
Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground
by Didrik Soderlind
Price: 9.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insights into a fascinating movement, 18 July 2009
Having had ordered this book from W H Smiths and never recieved it (and upon phoning to chase it up being informed that there were none in stock) I was pleasantly surprised to recieve this a mere five days after ordering it from Amazon.

As far as books go this is interesting, informative, and useful. There is a good range of interviews, some wonderful photos, and some fascinating insights. Despite the book's slightly sensationalist tone, it offers a balanced look at the events of Norway's 90s, neither approving nor codeming the acts. It offers some good explanations as to why the scene built up in Norway, and offers comparisons with Sweden's death metal scene.

Thoroughly reccommended.

Stan Winstons Realm Of The Claw: vol. 1
Stan Winstons Realm Of The Claw: vol. 1
by David Yardin
Price: 9.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Some of the best artwork I've seen in a long time, 26 April 2009
I love my comic books, but I am extremely picky about the illustrations. They have to be exactly right. After being recommended this book by my local comic book vendor, I left it a long time to read it. But once I opened it...what wonders were in store.

It follows the story of two men, who were originally the sons of the Cat God, and were banished to the world of man, and it follows their return to the animal world. With some epic battle scenes and good (if slightly corny) messages about following your destiny, this is an excellent read.

The storyline is excellent. The plot is riveting, the characters believable, and the dialogue interesting enough to keep you following the story. I have taken one mark off for being slightly confusing in places; younger readers may struggle.

As mentioned earlier, I am extremely picky about my illustrations, but the drawings in this graphic novel are possibly the best I've seen in any comic book. They are bright, colourful, and with so much attention to detail. The humans, instead of the manga-style, that is favoured by a lot of artists, look realistic, and the animals are just divine. The animals show elements of their human selves. The sex and nudity scenes are very tastefully censored (think a 12 or a 15 rated film rather than the full-on nudity of an 18) and despite being gory, it is not over the top, in the same way that a lot of horror comics are.

Overall, a fantastic piece of work, well worth reading, and highly recommended.

Halloween [1978] [DVD]
Halloween [1978] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jamie Lee Curtis
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 9.96

4.0 out of 5 stars A Slasher Masterpiece, 13 April 2009
This review is from: Halloween [1978] [DVD] (DVD)
A milestone of its genre, this really is an excellent piece of film aking. It doesn't depend on the over the top gore and jumpy shocks favoured by many other slasher films of that era, relying instead on suspense and tension to keep the viewer scared. It follows the classic slasher format of killing off a group of attractive young teenagers one by one until only the innocent virgin is left. Despite becoming a cliche in more recent years, this idea is used to great effect in this film.

The dvd quality is excellent, with a clear picture and sound. My only criticism is the lack of special features, as I would have liked to have been able to find out more about the making of the film. But as for the film itself, I can find no criticisms.

Busy Body: My Life with Tourette's Syndrome
Busy Body: My Life with Tourette's Syndrome
by Nick van Bloss
Price: 10.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-warming and honest, 22 Oct 2008
As a sufferer of Tourettes myself, I have always been disheartened and frustrated by people's attitudes towards "that swearing disease", publicised falsely by the media. I have always been sick of people misinterpreting it and claiming that I am "lucky" to have such a "cool" condition. One day I read an article of Nick Van Bloss's in the Times, which opened my eyes and brought hope that I wasn't the only person to suffer with this condition. The article recommended the book, which is now my Bible. It is wonderful to read about somebody else who suffers from Tourettes. Nick Van Bloss's heartwarming account of his life with Tourettes is an eye-opener to anyone whether they know about this condition or not. His honest, sensitive, heart-rending and occasionally funny book is a must-read for anyone.