Profile for J. Prior > Reviews

Content by J. Prior

J. Prior "Jim" (Grantham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Dangerous Journey (Moomin Valley Trilogy)
The Dangerous Journey (Moomin Valley Trilogy)
by Tove Jansson
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast delivery, beautiful book., 23 Jan 2013
The Dangerous Journey is a wonderfully illustrated short story (ideal kids bedtime reading), about A4 size hardback, and quite thin (14 pages). Another lovely tale from Tove Jansson.

Samsung NX1000 Digital Compact System Camera - White (20.3MP, 20-50mm Lens Kit) 3.0 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice camera, 2 Nov 2012
This must be one of the only times we have made an impulse buy off the back of a TV advert! In this instance it was the hundreds of blokes called David Bailey advert, very clever. My wife liked the neat sleek look of this compact camera (we got the white one), and she wanted a new camera SHE could use, seeing as I already have a Canon EOS600D DSLR, and she was fed up with me never being in any shots.

After reading a few reviews we decided to go for this, plus the bag, and a 16Gb SDRAM card (like others have said, its a pity a card isn't included, given the low cost of memory nowadays).

The camera was delivered in a couple of days, and I'm pleased to say we're impressed by the number of features packed into this Compact, many of which I am used to in my Canon DSLR, plus a few extra which make this excellent for the digital age, although I suspect most of these will get little use since wifey will use Smart mode most of the time.

The wi-fi features are brilliant, and I have tried several of these already with no problems at all (other people reported problems!?);
Once my wireless router was detected and added as an Access Point, all the wi-fi features can be used.
Auto Backup from camera to laptop can be a little bit slow if you have many pics to transfer, and it is probably quicker to transfer/backup using the supplied USB lead.
Dropbox on the laptop detected the camera when plugged in, and quickly loaded all photos and then started syncing to our online Dropbox a/c.
Probably one of the simplest, yet most useful functions is the fact the camera will Email a photo(s) to one or more people, seemingly without any special email setup (no SMTP server stuff, just your email and the people you're sending to), and also reduces the image to a sensible size JPG before sending! Very nice.
You can share pics/video via Facebook, Picasa, Youtube or Photobucket.
Also upload to Windows SkyDrive (cloud).
I was able to download a couple of Android apps (Remote Viewer and MobileLink) to my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone and then easily connect using the Smart Link button (which has a cool blue LED ring light when active) to MobileLink to view and transfer pics onto the phone, and of course once on the phone your possibilities for sharing are endless.
With RemoteViewer app you can preview in realtime whatever the camera is pointing at, then control the camera to take and then download pics (or video?) to the phone. Cool. Maybe someone will think of a novel use for this?
Pictures can also be made available for viewing on your HDMI TV providing it uses DLNA over wi-fi/network connection, or directly by means of an optional HDMI lead (not tried this yet).
The light sensitivity of the camera is excellent for indoor/party/night-time shots (ISO goes up to 12800!) which means its good for these kind of shots even without the included neat little flash unit which plugs into a proper hot-shoe mount.
The menu system is very comprehensive and well-presented. Being familiar with the various modes of a DSLR camera I found I was able to recognise and use most features without any reference to the manual. I think wifey might take a little while to delve into things, but already (after only 2 days) she loves this camera.
I'm surprised how much is packed into it. Even down to level-detectors which show an aircraft cockpit style gimbal, so you know that the camera is horizontally level in two axis, for perfect landscape shots.
Of course there are a good variety of gimicky overlay frames and filter effects which have become very popular in phone camera apps lately (like Instagram), so you can apply effects, fish-eye, toy/miniature, sketch, halftone, vignette, dawn/sunset, soft focus, old film, etc.
With other lense choices available, this really is an excellent camera, and considerably smaller than a proper DSLR so its convenient enough to easily carry around. I'm a little envious, but have been told to keep my hands off!
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2013 4:51 AM GMT

Ex-Pro Canon LP-E8, LP E8, LPE8 High Power Plus+ 2 Year Warranty Replacement Lithium Li-on Digital Camera Battery for EOS 550D, 600D, 650D, 700D, EOS Rebel T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i, Kiss X4
Offered by ExpressPro
Price: 7.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Dud battery replaced, second one great., 26 Sep 2012
I ordered an extra LP-E8 battery for my Canon EOS600D, received very quickly, but after a full charge, the first time I used it, it expired in about 10 minutes! Seriously! Tried charging again, but same thing. Contacted seller for a replacement, and following their procedure for returns I got another one within a day. This one is holding its charge fine, taken about two hundred photos each charge, and seems to be performing as well as the pucker Canon battery. Obviously the first was just a duff one.

Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800 Mhz CL5 Performance Desktop Memory Kit
Price: 64.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Good memory, 11 Jun 2012
Needed to increase the memory to 4Gb in my Vista 32-bit machine as everything was starting to go slow. In particular I wanted these chips with the DHX (Dual-path Heat eXchange) style vaned heatsink, as I overclock my machine. Of course with the 32-bit version of Vista it will only use about 3.2Gb of the memory (this is just a limit of 32-bit systems, nothing to do with Windows settings as lots of people mistakenly think), but the difference from the 2Gb I had originally makes things run much better when several apps are open simultaneously.

Draper 89310 Sub Pump and Float 7 Lift, 230 Volt
Draper 89310 Sub Pump and Float 7 Lift, 230 Volt
Price: 23.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, good VFM, 10 Jun 2009
Very pleased with this pump. Good and powerful (fast at pumping). I have a large filter housing section at the end of my 2200 gallon pond which is where I dump the dirty water from my pond filters. This pump sits in a recessed sump box in the bottom, and pumps any dirty water from the filters up into water butts for use around the garden (any overflow from those goes into the domestic drains). Each clean dumps about 50-100 gallons. I shopped around and this was by far the cheapest pump, and with a brand name I trust. The pump also has a tiny vent hole to aid priming.

Page: 1 | 2