Profile for J. Prior > Reviews

Content by J. Prior

J. Prior "Jim" (Grantham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Dog Coat 2 In 1 Green 28"
Dog Coat 2 In 1 Green 28"
Offered by Vanilla Sugar

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant coat. My dog loves it, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Dog Coat 2 In 1 Green 28" (Misc.)
Brilliant coat. My dog loves it, he really wags his tail when I put it on him, and he seems all puffed up and proud when he walks along wearing it. The front part that goes between his legs really helps keep mud off his chest and front under-belly. The inner removable fleece soon becomes matted with his malting fur, but that is to be expected and happens with any kind of material and clothes. Dog hairs!!

Road and the Ring
Road and the Ring
by A.Sylvia Brocklebank

5.0 out of 5 stars I lived in the same house as the author, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Road and the Ring (Hardcover)
I found this to be a fascinating read, a window onto olden times and ways just as the motor car was being invented, and when horse driven stage coaches were the way to travel any great distance around England.

The main (tenuous) reason I bought this book was because as a child (7-15) I used to live in a large country mansion where my parents worked called Wing Grange in Rutland, which, many years earlier, is where Agnes Sylvia Brocklebank (the author of the book) also used to live during the latter half of her life.

Her book makes a couple of interesting references to Wing Grange which I made a connection with and found interesting (for instance when her two favourite horses passed away, they were buried in one of the meadows we used to play in).

Overall I found the book to be an intriguing account of a woman doing a job (driving the team of horses to pull the carriages) in a mans world that she obviously got immense enjoyment from, and a world in which she quietly stood up for herself and proved she could be just as competitive as the men. I would have liked the author to have revealed a little bit more of her self to show her own character more, and in some places the book is a bit dry and technical in relation to the methods used for harnessing and driving the horse teams, the competitions she took part in and the routes traveled. I suppose this is perhaps because it was written in an era when women were more oppressed and hence Sylvia took a professional stance on the book content. One passage in the book I quite liked briefly describes her enjoyment of traveling at night in the darkness, atop the carriage with the passengers and footmen but no lights, and only the moon and stars to light the way through the country lanes.

There are many interesting black and white photographs throughout the book of the people in her life, the carriages and the horse teams, and the places (stables and hotels) they traveled between, but although there are several pictures she is in, there are sadly no close up photos of the great lady herself. This is probably the most expensive book I have ever purchased! but it made a connection for me and satisfied my curiosity about a woman I had heard tales of as a child, and discovered more only many years later, now aged 52, by reading this book.

Happy Pet Building Block Maze Parrot Toy
Happy Pet Building Block Maze Parrot Toy
Offered by BestBuyerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality toy and nice bright colours., 21 Feb. 2015
This is the second order we placed for this same toy because our parrot loves it and its good quality. But he is a wrecker, and within 3 days has already made a considerable impression on it. Its just what he does!

Sleeping Mask By Bedtime Bliss® Contoured & Comfortable Sleep Mask & Ear Plug Set. Includes Carry Pouch for Eye Mask and Ear Plugs - Great for Travel, Shift Work & Meditation
Offered by Natural Revolution Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars As most other people report this is a great product, cuts out light, 16 Jan. 2015
As most other people report this is a great product, cuts out light, comfy on the eyes. Reason for not giving 5 stars is because the velcro fastener is a bit thick and slightly uncomfortable on the back of your head when laid down with head resting on a pillow. Maybe this will flatten a bit with use.

LG 55LA965V 55" LED ULTRA HD 3D SMART TV WI-GI 1.000 MCI GARANZIA UFFICIALE ITALIA
Offered by DB Technology srl
Price: £1,388.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Smart TV but needed firmware upgrade to fix 3D movie ghosting pixelation flickering problem, 29 May 2014
I just bought one of these from a shop retailer (although mine is the 55LA965W model, not sure what difference, but presumably minor). It's a superb 4k Smart TV, but when I tried watching a 3D Movie (Gravity, but other 3D films showed the same problem) there was an annoying ghosting/pixelation/flickering effect around certain fast moving parts of the image. Since this is my first 3d TV I wondered if this was just something that happens! I tried changing many different settings to improve the performance of the display, but nothing helped. So I tried doing a software/firmware upgrade (via wired connection to the internet), and this fixed the issue completely. Viewing Gravity in 3D is now awesome, smooth, pinsharp, clear over the whole image and regardless of slow or fast motion. I don't have the exact version numbers to hand but it went from something like v02 to v04, which sounded like a couple of major revisions. I use the LG BH7440P 3D Bluray Player Cinema Surround Sound System with my TV.

TP-LINK TL-WPA4220KIT AV500 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with Two Ethernet Ports, Starter Kit/Twin Pack (Easy Configuration, Wi-Fi Clone for Smartphone/Tablets/Laptop)

4.0 out of 5 stars Streaming and wifi extension for my OUYA, 13 Jan. 2014
I had no trouble pairing my TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT AV500 Powerline 300M Wifi Booster/Extender with 2 LAN ports (thought I would give its full title because sometimes these reviews group together similar products which can be confusing). I set them up initially both plugged into the same socket pair to ensure there were no distance issues, Later I moved them to their proper locations in the house. At my upstairs office the smaller more basic TP-Link adapter plugs into my router. This sends the signal over the mains wiring to the larger extender unit which is downstairs in the living room where my TV, surround sound, etc are located. There the larger unit provides 2 wired ethernet ports to plug into, plus the same unit also extends my wi-fi, by taking the signal from the mains circuit and transmitting a new wifi signal using exactly the same wifi SSID as my router uses upstairs. Using an app on my Andoird phone called Wifi Analyzer I can see that my wifi now has really good strength at both ends of the house using just one SSID, but it also shows its comprised of two MAC addresses associated with the wifi network, one is my Netgear router, and the other shows up the extender as a TP-LINK Technologies device (note it is not 5G, my router provides both 2.4G and 5G, but I think the specs for the TP-Link make this clear). So the wifi extender seems to work well. Now my main intention with this was to provide a wired ethernet connection for my OUYA Games Cube which I have installed XBMC on to act as a media centre and provide Smart TV kind of facilities to my setup (I'm not interested in the games!). I need to be able to stream internet TV and movies as fast as possible so as to prevent buffering issues. Now when I first connected up the TP-Link units, one was in a multi-bloc upstairs and the other was in a multi-bloc downstairs. That didn't work! So I changed the multi-bloc at the TV end to a shorter more basic multi-bloc and that worked. So there was something about the 1st multibloc it didn't like (long cable or filters?). Then I tested streaming using BBC and ITV players, but there was considerable buffering. So I removed the wifi extender from the multi-bloc and plugged it directly into the wall socket. Interestingly this seemed to improve things, so I also decided to remove the upstairs TP-Link unit from its multi-bloc and plug directly into a wall socket. Not dead sure if this makes a big difference, but I figured no harm in getting the best performance out of both ends. I'm not saying this is necessary, and a work colleague also has these and he says things are fine for his setup WITH multi-blocs. Anyway now streaming at 720p seems pretty good with very little buffering issues (my BT line can only get 2mbps max speed so some does occur and of course this also depends on the source server speed, location UK/USA, etc). Good to go!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2014 2:15 PM GMT

Trust 17735 GXT 30 Wireless Gamepad (PC/PS3)
Trust 17735 GXT 30 Wireless Gamepad (PC/PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good gamepad to control my telescope, 13 Jan. 2014
I got this gamepad to wirelessly control my EQ-5 Goto telescope mount via EQMOD and ASCOM software. It works very nicely and is so much better not having wires to trip over in the dark. I am able to configure pretty much all the controls to operate different functions of the EQMOD software, gotos, slew speeds, stop/start tracking, polar align routine, etc. One mod I intend to make is adding a lanyard cord so that I can hang it round my neck, then the gamepad is easily at hand.

Invero ® MINI HDMI To HDMI 24K Gold Plated Cable ideal for Canon EOS 600D - 1.8M
Offered by Invero

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality cable for viewing HDMI from my camera, 21 Sept. 2013
I have an EOS600D and this cable is good quality for viewing HDMI video footage from the DSLR on my HD TV.

High Performance Submersible Water Pond Pump 6000 L/H SKYISH ASP6000 Dirty Water Pond Filter Pump

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent powerful pump for my waterblade, 21 Sept. 2013
Got this to replace a previous hozelock cascade 4000. This pump is slightly more powerful at 4500 lph, giving a better flow from my waterblade. Easy removal of cage for cleaning, but as yet (month later) I've not needed to. Very pleased.

10 x MR16 20w Halogen Light Bulb with Cover
10 x MR16 20w Halogen Light Bulb with Cover
Offered by best deal 4 u

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enclosed bulbs., 23 Jan. 2013
These are much better design than the "open" type of these bulbs (which tend to get wet and tarnish). I use these for underwater pond lights, and they don't tarnish. For the quanity at this price they are excellent.

Page: 1 | 2