Profile for J. Prior > Reviews

Content by J. Prior

J. Prior "Jim" (Grantham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
LG 55LA965V 55" LED ULTRA HD 3D SMART TV WI-GI 1.000 MCI GARANZIA UFFICIALE ITALIA

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Smart TV but needed firmware upgrade to fix 3D movie ghosting pixelation flickering problem, 29 May 2014
I just bought one of these from a shop retailer (although mine is the 55LA965W model, not sure what difference, but presumably minor). It's a superb 4k Smart TV, but when I tried watching a 3D Movie (Gravity, but other 3D films showed the same problem) there was an annoying ghosting/pixelation/flickering effect around certain fast moving parts of the image. Since this is my first 3d TV I wondered if this was just something that happens! I tried changing many different settings to improve the performance of the display, but nothing helped. So I tried doing a software/firmware upgrade (via wired connection to the internet), and this fixed the issue completely. Viewing Gravity in 3D is now awesome, smooth, pinsharp, clear over the whole image and regardless of slow or fast motion. I don't have the exact version numbers to hand but it went from something like v02 to v04, which sounded like a couple of major revisions. I use the LG BH7440P 3D Bluray Player Cinema Surround Sound System with my TV.

TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT AV500 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with Two Ethernet Ports, Starter Kit/Twin Pack (Easy Configuration, Wi-Fi Clone for Smartphone/Tablets/Laptop)

4.0 out of 5 stars Streaming and wifi extension for my OUYA, 13 Jan 2014
I had no trouble pairing my TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT AV500 Powerline 300M Wifi Booster/Extender with 2 LAN ports (thought I would give its full title because sometimes these reviews group together similar products which can be confusing). I set them up initially both plugged into the same socket pair to ensure there were no distance issues, Later I moved them to their proper locations in the house. At my upstairs office the smaller more basic TP-Link adapter plugs into my router. This sends the signal over the mains wiring to the larger extender unit which is downstairs in the living room where my TV, surround sound, etc are located. There the larger unit provides 2 wired ethernet ports to plug into, plus the same unit also extends my wi-fi, by taking the signal from the mains circuit and transmitting a new wifi signal using exactly the same wifi SSID as my router uses upstairs. Using an app on my Andoird phone called Wifi Analyzer I can see that my wifi now has really good strength at both ends of the house using just one SSID, but it also shows its comprised of two MAC addresses associated with the wifi network, one is my Netgear router, and the other shows up the extender as a TP-LINK Technologies device (note it is not 5G, my router provides both 2.4G and 5G, but I think the specs for the TP-Link make this clear). So the wifi extender seems to work well. Now my main intention with this was to provide a wired ethernet connection for my OUYA Games Cube which I have installed XBMC on to act as a media centre and provide Smart TV kind of facilities to my setup (I'm not interested in the games!). I need to be able to stream internet TV and movies as fast as possible so as to prevent buffering issues. Now when I first connected up the TP-Link units, one was in a multi-bloc upstairs and the other was in a multi-bloc downstairs. That didn't work! So I changed the multi-bloc at the TV end to a shorter more basic multi-bloc and that worked. So there was something about the 1st multibloc it didn't like (long cable or filters?). Then I tested streaming using BBC and ITV players, but there was considerable buffering. So I removed the wifi extender from the multi-bloc and plugged it directly into the wall socket. Interestingly this seemed to improve things, so I also decided to remove the upstairs TP-Link unit from its multi-bloc and plug directly into a wall socket. Not dead sure if this makes a big difference, but I figured no harm in getting the best performance out of both ends. I'm not saying this is necessary, and a work colleague also has these and he says things are fine for his setup WITH multi-blocs. Anyway now streaming at 720p seems pretty good with very little buffering issues (my BT line can only get 2mbps max speed so some does occur and of course this also depends on the source server speed, location UK/USA, etc). Good to go!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2014 2:15 PM GMT

Trust 17735 GXT 30 Wireless Gamepad (PC/PS3)
Trust 17735 GXT 30 Wireless Gamepad (PC/PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good gamepad to control my telescope, 13 Jan 2014
I got this gamepad to wirelessly control my EQ-5 Goto telescope mount via EQMOD and ASCOM software. It works very nicely and is so much better not having wires to trip over in the dark. I am able to configure pretty much all the controls to operate different functions of the EQMOD software, gotos, slew speeds, stop/start tracking, polar align routine, etc. One mod I intend to make is adding a lanyard cord so that I can hang it round my neck, then the gamepad is easily at hand.

Invero ® MINI HDMI To HDMI 24K Gold Plated Cable ideal for Canon EOS 600D - 1.8M
Offered by Invero

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality cable for viewing HDMI from my camera, 21 Sep 2013
I have an EOS600D and this cable is good quality for viewing HDMI video footage from the DSLR on my HD TV.

High Performance Submersible Water Pond Pump 6000 L/H SKYISH ASP6000 Dirty Water Pond Filter Pump

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent powerful pump for my waterblade, 21 Sep 2013
Got this to replace a previous hozelock cascade 4000. This pump is slightly more powerful at 4500 lph, giving a better flow from my waterblade. Easy removal of cage for cleaning, but as yet (month later) I've not needed to. Very pleased.

10 x MR16 20w Halogen Light Bulb with Cover
10 x MR16 20w Halogen Light Bulb with Cover
Offered by Ideal Lighting

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enclosed bulbs., 23 Jan 2013
These are much better design than the "open" type of these bulbs (which tend to get wet and tarnish). I use these for underwater pond lights, and they don't tarnish. For the quanity at this price they are excellent.

5 IN 1 JUMP STARTER DIGITAL AIR COMPRESSOR 400A 150 PSI 17Ah USB
5 IN 1 JUMP STARTER DIGITAL AIR COMPRESSOR 400A 150 PSI 17Ah USB

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for the price, but battery is a bit crap., 23 Jan 2013
I use this to power my telescope / dew controllers, and it never seems to keep power for long, despite regular charging. But its electronic auto-cutout air pump is ideal for doing the car tyres.

Draper 76335 210-Litres-per-Minute 750-Watt 230-Volt Submersible Dirty Water Pump with Float Switch

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent unit, still going strong a year on, everyday use., 23 Jan 2013
This is a beast of a pump, which I use with my pond setup to move gallons of dirty water from a sump from my pond filters to drains, and clean collected rainwater to a 500 litre tank for refilling the pond. It gets used every day for the last year.

A Long Way to Fall
A Long Way to Fall

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Ulrich, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: A Long Way to Fall (Audio CD)
I like this just as much as all the other Ulrich albums I own. Not one bad track. I'm just letting them settle into my mind. I find the more I play Ulrich's music, the more individual tracks grow on me, and tease out their various subtleties, hues and shades of sound.

Head First C#
Head First C#
by Andrew Stellman

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fun learning, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Head First C# (Paperback)
Like many other reviews, I am finding this book an excellent introduction to C#. Practical and fun, I am making considerable headway through the projects and tasks placed before me. Don't think I've ever read as much of a huge tome like this before (without giving up or getting bored), and am still finding it interesting and fun. For me its quirky approach is certainly working, giving me many "aha" moments.

Page: 1 | 2