Profile for Jonathan Allman > Reviews

Jonathan Allman

Razer Kraken 7.1 Surround Digital USB Gaming Headset
Razer Kraken 7.1 Surround Digital USB Gaming Headset

5.0 out of 5 stars Best headset I've ever owned, 23 Feb 2014
Before I start I just want to point out I'm a YouTuber, so microphone quality is FAR more important to me than audio quality (that I hear, anyway).

What can I say about the Kraken 7.1? Well, it's fantastic. Audio quality through it is just brilliant, and the 7.1 (whilst virtual) is pretty well simulated. I can genuinely hear footsteps and pinpoint locations in games like Counter Strike. I'm not much of a competitive gamer so that doesn't really matter to me but that is there.

Microphone quality is great, although enabling ambient noise reduction causes a weird effect whenever you talk/stop talking, as if it's having to tune into your voice. Not a problem though, as the microphone is omni-directional - it only picks up what it's pointing at. If worn correctly that should be your mouth. When retracted into the left speaker (which is a REALLY nice feature) it WILL pick up what's being played through the headset, but I assume you're not using it when it's tucked away so that's fine.
There's a mute button ON the microphone (which is an odd choice of location) that's a little hard to find if you don't locate it before putting it on. It doesn't take much force to press it - you'll know when muted as the green light on the end of the mic turns off when muted.

The headset itself is well made, sturdy and VERY comfortable. This is an upgrade for me from an ORB GP1 which is essentially a skull-crusher. That older headset gave me migraines and general ear pain with prolonged use (which isn't helpful as a gamer) - these have no problems at all. The top of the headset is very comfortable, the entire thing is big enough to fit most (if not all) and the padding on the ear cups (they're called that, right?) is soft and big enough for your ears to not fold up (see previous headset) and also do a good job of blocking out sound from the outside (though not all - which is a good thing).

The software you'll need to set it up with more than Windows built in sound management is named "Razer Synapse" - pretty easy to find, download and set up. It'll take you through a 7.1 audio position tweaking setup phase which is quite useful as 7.1 is felt differently by everyone. Synapse offers a bunch of different options including something I found INCREDIBLY useful - it can clear up and de-noise incoming communication audio, so your friends on Skype and things like that. This is very useful for eliminating static or noise in your friend's microphone without having to mention it to them.
The software also comes with an EQ with several presets. I was surprised to find a "metal" option, as not many audio players have a preset for that (I know iTunes doesn't) - I've tested a few and they sounded quite nice. Also music sounds fantastic through this headset. Especially things like thrash metal and glitch hop (my personal favourite genres) but I'm thinking acoustic stuff and perhaps some classical tracks would sound fantastic through it.

I completely recommend this headset. Completely. I was a bit on the fence about buying a Razer product as they sometimes get a reputation as being expensive without being worth it but they've proven that's a myth. This is worth every single penny.

Delivery via Amazon was also extremely fast. Cannot fault this purchase AT ALL.

WD TV Play Media Player
WD TV Play Media Player

2.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awful, 11 Jan 2014
Having used many computers and consoles in the past for media I chose to buy this so I wouldn't have to pay monthly for Xbox Live just for Netflix. After using this, I'd rather pay for XBL. Not only does this device crash often, it's not responsive at all. Whilst using the YouTube app, there's a ten second delay between me pressing a button and the device responding. Then another 20 second delay as I wait for the menu selection to actually move in the direction I pressed.

It also takes the device a full 20 minutes to recognise a 1TB drive. It takes my 1GHz 512mb RAM Android tablet 20 seconds and it wasn't even designed to be used with external hard drives.

Save yourself the trouble and get a more powerful device, or a smart blu-ray player.

Having gone over it's awful problems, it does however play movies well. Via Netflix and storage when it finally loads up.Subtitles are customizable too which is a nice feature.

STAR N9770 - 5.08 inch MTK6577 1.2GHz dual core CPU android 4.0.4 ICE CREAM SANDWICH 3G smartphone dual sim 5MP camera WIFI GPS, new google play store and flash player supported, with flip case (black, white)

1.0 out of 5 stars STAY AWAY FROM EUROPE DEALS, 1 July 2013
This phone seemed like a fantastic buy, until TWO (yes, only two!) days in. A line of dead pixels appeared whilst playing an N64 game, and will not disappear no matter the efforts. I'd usually call for a replacement but with these almost anonymous Chinese companies, what the hell would be the point?!

EDIT UPDATE: After correspondance with the company that sold me this phone, they stated they would "look into it" after we rightfully brought up law involving selling faulty products. That was four weeks ago. DO NOT buy from EUROPE DEALS - they are a waste of time and a waste of money. The phone, is good - the company, IS NOT. Not only have they refused to respond to a matter that legally they should HAVE to, but they also claimed I was out of warranty - a warranty they had MADE UP that I was literally one day out of. No "new" product on Amazon comes with a "3 month warranty", and I sure as hell wasn't made aware of this at all. If I was I'd have returned it for a full refund long before.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2013 10:29 PM BST

7" inch Touch Screen A13 1.0GHz CPU  Android 4.0 Tablet PC 4GB HDD 512MB WiFi (White)
7" inch Touch Screen A13 1.0GHz CPU Android 4.0 Tablet PC 4GB HDD 512MB WiFi (White)
Offered by BuyOnline Cart

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the money, 16 April 2013
Considering this only costs ~£50, I'm very impressed with this tablet in the two months I've used it for. Nothing's fallen apart, nothing's stopped working, all very nicely put together.

First off, looks:
The tablet does look quite nice considering it's a cheap Chinese one. My only problem is that the plastic covering the camera occasionally pops off. It can be easily pushed back into place though. The text on the back labeling all the ports looks nice too.
I don't know if this was just my tablet, or all, but the screen (meaning the actual display) is a little off center with the plastic covering it. The touch screen is still perfectly aligned but there's a tiny (1-2MM) portion of the screen slightly hidden under the case on the right hand side. Not a device-breaking issue but a little annoying.

Performance:
The processor in this tablet comes clocked at 1.0GHz as advertised, however, after rooting and playing around with SetCPU (an app that governs clock speeds and can overclock), the "maximum" clock speed of 1.5GHz is wrong and would probably cause a lot of heat problems anyway. This device can only be taken up to 1.2GHz - but that's pretty good for £50.
Performance in most apps is definitely satisfactory, the only things I've had a problem with are the Facebook and Twitter apps as they use a lot of memory. However, since recent updates (especially the holo-esque Twitter UI change), performance has definitely increased.
Performance in games is fantastic as the device comes with a Mali-400 GPU which is definitely not a weak GPU by any standards. Don't expect to play any ridiculously graphically intensive games like the new Shadowgun multiplayer shooter (I haven't tested the original Shadowgun) but in most games it performs VERY well. It's powerful enough to handle PS1 emulation smoothly on some games (I've tested Baldies and Abe's Oddysee - great fun on a tablet!) and more than powerful enough for NES/SNES/GBC/GBA emulation. Native Android games also run fantastically like Raging Thunder 2 and Riptide GP (Riptide at it's highest settings).
Performance whilst watching movies is very good, I've watched a few 1080p resolution movies on it and it plays them without fault. My only niggle is that with hardware like this you get a slight (around 0.3 seconds) audio/video delay. It's noticeable but not enough to ruin a movie.

State it arrived in:
It arrived in perfect condition, but I think an employee who had tested the tablet had forgotten to factory reset it. The Fruit Ninja app it comes with had a Chinese game-center style thing built in permanently linked to the employee's account and he'd already added his contacts to the device which I've no idea how to clear, leading to some odd Facebook friend suggestions. He had also left a video copy of the "Gangnam Style" music video by PSY, which gave me quite the chuckle. After a quick factory reset and wiping the Fruit Ninja app, all was well though. If you want Fruit Ninja get it on the Play store.

Also keyboard spell/dictionary check is broken by default - there are ways of fixing it if you're okay with rooting this device (which is painless) and rummaging around in system folders.

Overall a very, very good device for the price. Considering this is twice as powerful as my last tablet (Viewsonic Viewpad 7) for a third of the price, I am definitely very pleased with the product. I'd give five stars if the employee testing it had remembered to wipe all of his data.

EDIT: After flashing a custom ROM named "FaaaastJB" the device has become even speedier and way more responsive. The ROM brings the device up to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Remember though, flashing ROMs can be tricky.
Use Uberizer (K/22) to run lsmod on the device to find out what drivers you'll need after the ROM install and flash the ROM with LiveSuit. Drivers can be found on the FaaaastJB forum post. Good luck!

Elgato Game Capture HD, Xbox and PlayStation High Definition Game Recorder for Mac and PC, Full HD 1080p

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 13 Dec 2012
Having used 2 other capture cards (EasyCap - terrible, Roxio Game Capture - okay), I was quite scared of wasting more money on equipment but after using this for about a hundred videos, I have to say, this is the best piece of equipment I've ever used! It's tiny, easy to move and easy to set up. It works astoundingly well even though my computer is under the minimum requirements!
The file size is small for a high quality 720p video file (can do 1080p but I see no point for me) and the software is FANTASTIC. With the recent update that adds voice commentary and streaming, I see no reason to ever choose anything over this.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2014 3:03 PM GMT