Profile for Dengie Tel > Reviews

Dengie Tel

Bad Moon Rising: The Unauthorized History of Creedence Clearwater Revival
Bad Moon Rising: The Unauthorized History of Creedence Clearwater Revival

4.0 out of 5 stars Fogerty Rules not Ok., 22 April 2013
Being a guitarist, I have found most of CCR's major hits pleasantly easy to play. So it was very interesting to read of the band's pre-fame history, their relatively short 'success' period and their subsequent demise. Having been a great fan of John Fogerty over the years, I was quite disappointed to read of his 'behind-the-scenes' attitude towards the other band members, including his late brother Tom. True, they would not have had the great success if it was not for John. But even so, if the book is accurate, JF was one awkward so-and-so. As the book only goes up to c.2009, I presume his stubborness still exists today. You come away from the pages thinking that this extremely talented guy is his own worst enemy. What a shame. I couldn't quite bring myself to give the full five star rating. Reason being that I read it on my Kindle and when it got to 63% through the book I found myself with the 37% remainder taken up by Discography, Contents, Index etc. !! Nevertheless, still a very good and intriguing read.

The Best Of The Mamas And The Papas
The Best Of The Mamas And The Papas

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia Dreaming, 22 April 2013
Well, this certainly took me down memory lane. I can't help but think that Cass Elliot's untimely death was a great loss to the music industry, not only then, but also now. Great melodies, great lyrics.....especially the band's autobiographical 'Creeque Alley'. I can't bring myself to give the album a full five stars because John Phillips', at the time, increasing paranoia and craziness is evident in a couple of numbers that really don't seem to fit amongst the rest. Having said that, the album makes for great listening.....especially in the car on a long journey.

Stagg SG-A200BK Guitar Stand
Stagg SG-A200BK Guitar Stand
Offered by imustbuy

4.0 out of 5 stars Good support., 22 April 2013
As guitar stands go, this double serves its purpose more than adequately. I especially like the rubber 'clip-over' locks. The only drawback with the stand is that, if supporting an acoustic and electric, the legs have to be positioned in such a way as to prevent it toppling over if the acoustic is removed. Other than that, can't find fault.

Black Guitar Pickup Acoustic / Electric Transducer Clip On
Black Guitar Pickup Acoustic / Electric Transducer Clip On
Offered by 3C4U

5.0 out of 5 stars Picked up a great little pick-up!, 19 Mar. 2013
This pick-up is tremendous value for money. The slide clip-on and opposite side recess make it very simple to fit, unlike the fiddly screw-down clip pick-ups I have come across before. When fitted, the strings are free of obstruction even with low bridge action(unlike problems presented by the previously mentioned screw-downs)and there is little risk of hitting it with pick or fingers. I know it depends on the combination of acoustic and amp, but when my 1974 Columbus semi-jumbo is played through my 30w Marshall on a 'clean' setting, the sound produced is crisp and clear. Curiously, and unbelievably, when set to 'crunch' with added mid reverb, it is almost a match to my Strats when played as rhythm. The pick-up comes with an integral 3m lead. All in all, I really cannot find fault. Excellent!!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Prevails, 19 Feb. 2013
Marshall have a proven track record, it seems, since the year dot. This 30W amp has the more-than-useful addition of an FX mode that increases versatility and certainly makes my Strat sound pleasantly peculiar at times (depending on the setting).
With regard to amplifiers, volume does not always mean quality, but in this instance the two interface at just the right balance, The Gain mode is superb in pulling all settings to a perceived increase in volume without distortion, unless required. Marshall rules ok.

The Best Of Me
The Best Of Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff., 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Me (Audio CD)
The singer/songwriter groover from Vancouver has certainly written some great songs over the years and this collation proves that good lyrics/melody/drive still have a place in todays electronically rap dominated music (if you can call it that) scene.

Vermatik Advanced Plug In 4 In 1 Electromagnetic/Ultrasonic Rat/Mouse/Rodent Repeller With Built In Ionic Air Purifier (AS SEEN ON TV)
Offered by Futura Direct Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 19 Feb. 2013
The rat deterrent is totally useless. In fact the rats appear to have thrived to a greater extent since it was put into use. waste of money.

The Long Run
The Long Run

3.0 out of 5 stars Mellowed with age., 31 July 2012
This review is from: The Long Run (Audio CD)
I remember eagerly awaiting the successor to the wonderful 'Hotel California' only to be hugely disappointed by the eventual release of 'The Long Run'. Very few tracks actually sounded like The Eagles that I had come to love over those early-to-mid seventies years. The vinyl version of the album that was to be their last for another fourteen years, sat on my shelf unplayed. It came to be the only CD of theirs that I did not possess and, eventually, I gave in to the fact that this missing link was driving me crazy and went ahead and purchased it. Well, lo and behold, it proved to to be quite a lot better than I remembered. Before buying it the second time round, I learnt that the band were under a hell of a lot of pressure to come up with something equally as good as 'Hotel California' and I think that this has influenced my new judgement. Either that, or I really am mellowing with age!

Hotel California: The True-Life Adventures of Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young, Mitchell, Taylor, Browne, Ronstadt, Geffen, the Eagles, and Their Many Friends

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunset Boulevard Rocks, 31 July 2012
This is a fascinating insight to the somewhat musically incestuous tight knit Southern California community of the sixties and seventies. The threaded connections that led to such 'supergroups' as The Eagles and CSN&Y are a true indication that, in most instances, they could not have survived and thrived without each other. A complex human jigsaw of incredible talent, if ever there was one.

UNDER THE GUN, BLUE AND GRAY
UNDER THE GUN, BLUE AND GRAY

4.0 out of 5 stars Retro Country Rock, 31 July 2012
At the time of issue both albums were slated. Somewhat unfairly, I think, upon listening to them afresh. This especially applies to 'Blue and Gray'.....the lyrics and feel of the songs are a decent attempt to convey what it must have been like to live both to the North and South of the Mason-Dixon line during the American Civil War.