Profile for Wooster > Reviews

Content by Wooster

Wooster

Fujifilm X100S Digital Camera with Bespoke Case, NP-95 Lithium Battery, Lens Hood and Adapter Ring - Silver (16.3 MP, APS-C 16M X-Trans CMOS II with EXR Processor II) 2.8 inch LCD
Price: £1,028.11

2.0 out of 5 stars Faulty batch?, 18 April 2014
I read all the glowing reviews and bought the X100s camera kit at the beginning of the year. I'm a professional photographer and this was going to fill a gap in my collection, giving me something small that I could always have with me, and that produced pro quality pictures.

Amazon warned that I would have to wait several weeks because they were out of stock, and other sellers were saying the same. So I was really pleased when the camera arrived in just a few days.

It was as lovely to look at as I expected, and I was delighted with the quality of the pictures it took. All the reviews that say you can stick with Jpegs and forget Raw are true; the camera's ability to process Jpegs is remarkable and I would shoot in Raw only for paying jobs.

But after a month I noticed a discolouration of the lens, like a blue oil mark. It didn't seem to affect the image quality but I was concerned about it nevertheless, and rang Amazon. They were very happy to replace the camera, and a couple of days later a new one arrived.

I set the new camera up as before. I put on the clear glass protection filter, as before. I installed the firmware update, as before. And straight after that the camera died. I tried all the usual things: turning it off and on, removing and replacing the battery, trying a different battery. But nothing. So I contacted Amazon and they agreed to send me another camera.

The third camera arrived in a couple of days. I set this one up as before. And it worked. But when I took it out on a sunny afternoon the focussing was totally and very worryingly unreliable. For example, I set up my subject about 12 feet away, focussed on them, and the camera focussed on the background. I double checked the settings and it was clear that the camera was at fault. Appalled, I returned the camera and this time asked for a refund. Amazon agreed.

The service from Amazon has been outstanding; I couldn't have asked for more from them. But I don't understand how I could receive three cameras that were all faulty, each in their own special way. I think it's a truly great camera when it works, and there's part of me that regrets returning the first one which was taking great pictures - but I just don't think a £1k camera should have what appeared to be a damaged lens coating.

The interesting thing is that a friend has since bought the same camera from the London Camera Exchange (at the Photography Show in Birmingham) and he rang me because he was having problems with it. He asked me to test it and I found that it was setting the exposure incorrectly. London Camera Exchange took it back and my friend asked for a refund.

Since then, this same friend has told me of three friends of his who have had problems with the X100s. For one, the control dial on the back of the camera fell off; the shop he bought it from sent his camera back to Fuji, and when it came back the battery cover promptly fell off. For the other, there were issues with the exposure. And the third complained of a range of problems.

The X100s is a great camera when it works. I also have £100 of accessories that have limited use without it (lens filter, spare batteries and chargers, a screen protector, a Rapid SnapR strap); so one day I may have another go at getting one. But I worry that Fuji may have hurried production of this batch of cameras when they found they couldn't keep pace with demand and have skimped on quality control. The reviews have been deservedly great and everyone wanted to have one, and Fuji perhaps couldn't keep up.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2014 1:26 PM BST

Expert Shield - THE Screen Protectors for: FujiFilm Cameras *Lifetime Guarantee* (FujiFilm FinePix X100S Crystal Clear Expert Shield)
Offered by Expert Shield

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but a touch fiddly, 23 Jan 2014
This is a very useful accessory. You buy an expensive camera and the Expert Shield helps to keep it looking good. However, I found it difficult to fix it in place; you have to keep the dust off the screen while you're lining up the shield, but if you get bubbles (which means there's dust) you have to peel it back a bit and try again. But I found I was swapping one lot of bubbles for another and in desperation rang Expert Shield for advice. They answered the phone immediately, were incredibly nice, offered to post me another, and suggested how to fix the screen successfully (read the Blog Post, she said, it's full of helpful tips).

The replacement arrived the next day and, following the Blog tips to the letter, it fitted with ease!

The first secret is to fit it in the bathroom with the shower running and lightly steaming the room (this settles any dust that's in the air). The second secret (all in the Blog on their website) is to hinge the shield in place with sellotape before peeling off any of the layers; this means you can get the shield straight first time and wont need to re-align it when it's already fixed and likely cause more bubbles.

I feel it would be good to put these simple instructions in the packet (my only complaint, hence the loss of a star). But a great product.

Zondervan Illustrated Bible Dictionary (Premier Reference Series)
Zondervan Illustrated Bible Dictionary (Premier Reference Series)

2.0 out of 5 stars not yet good for the kindle, 11 April 2012
I bought this Kindle edition with high hopes; the content is excellent. The trouble is that it is a real struggle to search on the Kindle.
1. It can't (unlike Easton's bible dictionary) be set as the default dictionary on the Kindle; so if you want to look up a word you have to close the Bible you are reading and open the Zonderman dictionary
2. Even then, you can't go straight to the entry you want. For example, if you want to read the entry about 'Jerusalem' you have to:
a. type 'Jerusalem', then
b. search through the 200 odd pages of references to 'Jerusalem' trying to find THE Jerusalem entry (rather than the several hundred occasions where Jerusalem has simply been mentioned in another entry)!
Alternatively, you can go to 'J' on the contents page and keep turning the page until you get to Jerusalem...

I would steer clear of this on the Kindle until Zonderman have truly created a Kindle version. Then it will be brilliant.