Profile for Puffinsnotreal > Reviews

Flushed Away  [DVD]
Flushed Away [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kate Winslet

5.0 out of 5 stars KEEP YER LEGS STRAIGHT!, 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: Flushed Away [DVD] (DVD)
This is a wonderful film. Stupid enough to keep kids amused (my 21 month year old has watched it 14 times since the bad winter weather of 2010 and if I still love it then it must have something) bu with plenty of adult in jokes. Watch Ian Mckellen channel Gandalf the Grey when he is the toad for example.

Look out for the thumb imprints on the charatcters even though its Computer generated hats of to Ardman for keeping to their tradtions.

Great film ignore any one who gives it less than 4 they know nothing.

Victory for the Comic Muse
Victory for the Comic Muse

3.0 out of 5 stars One for the hardcore fans, 14 Dec 2010
Not that the DC have anyone "hardcore".

I love it but if I was looking to get into the DC I would suggest Casanova or even Bang Goes the Knighthood.

Listen the others fisrt then move on to this one. Die a Virgin and a Happy Goth are superb though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2013 10:46 AM BST

Beyond
Beyond

5.0 out of 5 stars The real follow up to Green Mind, 9 Dec 2010
This review is from: Beyond (Audio CD)
I'm not in the habit of giving out 5 stars but when you have spent your formative teenage years listening and loving a band only to watch it self destruct when they refrom it is something special.

This is a fine alt rock, post punk, post hardcore album (real 80's guitar based hardcore stuff not the samply beaty Ministry of Sound stuff you get today).

Surely J Mascis is one of the finest guitarist upon the earth and Murph it's drummer. Lou Barlow's bass thunders throughout and he has the standout track on Back to your heart (well done for letting him have that J!).

Stop reading this crap review and buy the damn thing.

Daydream Nation (Deluxe Edition)
Daydream Nation (Deluxe Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sonic Youth's best, 22 July 2009
The great sound's of Goo married to the mad harshness of Experimental Jetset. The perfect follow up to Evol.

You really don't need another Sonic Youth album they were never any better, or worse, than this.

Bring It On: 10th Anniversary Collector's Edition
Bring It On: 10th Anniversary Collector's Edition

3.0 out of 5 stars Common room doyens, 2 Mar 2009
You could'nt get them off the Sixth Form Common room stereo in them days. Mainly because we were all starting to learn about narcotics from the nice police drug awareness man.

"Get myself arrested" is still the stand out track here.

Made me feel nostalgic for my A level days but little more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2010 4:15 PM GMT

Fantastic Four - Rise Of The Silver Surfer [2007] [DVD]
Fantastic Four - Rise Of The Silver Surfer [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ioan Gruffudd
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as the first, 12 Feb 2009
Cracking good romp. One of the best parts is the way the 4 struggle to adapt to their new powers and square it with "real" life. Sue being dumped naked in the street or Johnny trashing a another suit.

Certainly a 4 star 3 is really unfair.

The Optimist LP
The Optimist LP
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great debut. Quality shows, 12 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Optimist LP (Audio CD)
Ridiculously underrated as a band and ignored by too many sections this debut album is an excellent introduction to there body of work.

A beautiful piece of perfect pop that has a few twist of menace in it to jar you. This certainly is a fine template for Ether Song.

Everybody Hollerin' Goat
Everybody Hollerin' Goat

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliance, 12 Feb 2009
As with many other people no doubt I was surprised to find that the Othar Turner on the Gangs of New York soundtrack was not an Irish marching band but was, in fact, a 90 year old subsistence farmer from the USA. Forgive my ignorance. "Shimmy she wobble" was the only reason I bought the soundtrack of Gangs of New York in the first place .

I'm not a big blues fan but something about Othar's singing, pipe and the Rising Stars drummer's slams itself directly into your soul. I wish I'd been present at the barbecues where they played. This is a brilliant album made even better by the sounds of life going on around it extenuating the rawness and spontaneity.

Out of Control
Out of Control
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Girls abound, 2 Feb 2009
This review is from: Out of Control (Audio CD)
So Cheryl says " Girls, I dunno but I tink we need a new angle, like"
"Righto den, to be sure. Lets push the boundaries of our talent, so we shall" replied Nadine.

Kimberley ( the best looking and cleverest one) sighs in resignation and wonders if she can make a go of the stage career, Les Mis beckons! Nicola just nods and hope's that the make up people will stop making her look like Elizabeth the First.

And Sarah, Sarah just sits there.

Buy the Best of. This is a mish mash with a group looking for a direction, any direction, to steer them into their thirties and a quiet retirement.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as I thought it was going to be., 2 Feb 2009
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I bought this for the wife at Christmas, honest. I was expecting it to be total dross but ol' Enrique's not that bad.

The "rhythm divine" one, Love to see you cry, and track one are actually quite good plus Do you know what it feels like or whatever it's called. I was saved by these tunes from throwing myself from the car as she played it.