Profile for Mr. S. P. Lockyer > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. P. Lockyer

Mr. S. P. Lockyer "mrlockyer" (Kent, UK)

How to Save an Hour Every Day
How to Save an Hour Every Day
by Michael Heppell
Price: 7.69

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, packed with handy tips, 8 May 2011
We all feel that there aren't enough hours in the day, and I have to admit that I thought that saving an hour every day would be too high a challenge to put out. This book is very clever however. Each page has a little timer on it, where you can write in how many minutes each day any of the ideas on that page are likely to save you. After reading it, I have to admit, I think it probably is possible! Even with a very busy and long working day, there are some great suggestions to organising your life and work, and it is simply a case of finding the ones that work for you.
While some of the ideas may not be new, I'm sure there are enough suggestions and improvements to routines to help everyone on their way to saving at least an hour a day. In the 24 hours since I have read the book, I have already cleared my desk, finding a forgotten receipt claim for 50 at the bottom of a pile, and tackled a work query that had been 'hovering' in the back of my mind with ease.
Task completed, desk tidied and already 50 up - that's pretty good going!

Help!: How to Become Slightly Happier and Get a Bit More Done
Help!: How to Become Slightly Happier and Get a Bit More Done
by Oliver Burkeman
Price: 10.89

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent round-up, 21 Jan 2011
This is a collection of Oliver's column from the saturday Guardian, and as such, doesn't have a central theme as such. It is nevertheless jam-packed with enjoyable stories and theories, dismissing the many snake oil salesmen that abound in 'self help' areas. You'll definitely learn a thing or two about yourself, more about others, and perhaps understand a little better about how you fit into this world. Oliver has a brilliantly sardonic writing style, and is knowledgeable without ever sounding smug. A cracking read, which you'll refer to again and again.

You Need This Book ...: .. to Get What You Want
You Need This Book ...: .. to Get What You Want
by Mark Palmer
Price: 8.55

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 21 Jan 2011
This was a real shame - the premise of the book is strong, and as a fan of these types of books, I was looking forward to a good read. It is however written in a very curious and awkward style, with lots of generalised statements and 'tangents' (as they call them). I stopped reading, frustrated, at page 76 when I felt that I hadn't actually gained anything from reading thus far. While there is clearly a growing market for psychology/business/motivation, this feels very rushed and woolly. I have no prior knowledge of the authors' work, but this hasn't encouraged me to look further to be honest.

Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques That Put Students on the Path to College
Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques That Put Students on the Path to College
by Doug Lemov
Price: 13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Reassess everything you thought you knew about your teaching!, 28 Jun 2010
I am halfway through reading "Teach like a Champion" and already I know it is one of the most accurate, relevant and interesting books of my whole teaching career. In it, the author Doug Lemov has examined the top teachers in a catchment area in the US, and has carefully analysed and dissected their strengths into 47 techniques. These techniques are all accessible, all explained clearly (with DVD clips, in case you aren't completely sure) and I can already see the impact they are having in my lessons. It is a phenomenal book, and has actually explained events and habits that have formed over the past eleven years as a teacher; why some things work well, and how to refine simple skills to get an even better result. I would urge any employee in education to invest in this book, as it will open up a world that you think you knew, only in much more detail.

Flat Stanley
Flat Stanley
by Jeff Brown
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A flat review!, 28 Jun 2010
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Paperback)
I really like this book, because Stanley is funny. He turns flat and ends up being posted in an envelope! In the night when Stanely is asleep, a bulletin board falls on him and his Mum and dad wake up, takes it off him and he is FLAT! The middle part of the sotry is best becuase his litttle brother Arthur tries to get flat but can't!
(By Zac, BMS)

James and the Giant Peach
James and the Giant Peach
by Roald Dahl

5.0 out of 5 stars A peach of a story!, 28 Jun 2010
I loved the story - this is the best ever! James realises that there are lots of children in the world. He is sad at the beginning and very happy at the end. I liked the ending, because he is happy and famous.I didn't like the start because his aunties were mean.

(Reviewed by Ludo, BMS)

Horrid Henry's Big Bad Book: Ten Favourite Stories - and more! (Horrid Henry Compilation)
by Francesca Simon
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Big, Bad and Brilliant!, 21 Jun 2010
I loved reading this book! It is funny, and the author has chosen great names for all the children. It doesn't take too long to read, and there are quite a few stories inside, so there is a lot of variety.
(CG, F3, BMS)

Made to Stick: Why some ideas take hold and others come unstuck
Made to Stick: Why some ideas take hold and others come unstuck
by Chip Heath
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, 12 Jan 2010
This is a really good book, well written and full of excellent examples. It explains how to make a message, either commercially or educationally, and package it to be passed on and utilised. The chapters are easy, clear and well-constructed. Buy this book!

Timecode-1995-96 New Weave Compilation
Timecode-1995-96 New Weave Compilation
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 12.95

4.0 out of 5 stars An eclectic mix of styles that make you sit up and listen., 28 Sep 2000
Timecode is an amazing album in the way that it grows on you. Compilation albums of artists as diverse as this are often poorly put together, jarring styles and instruments. This album, although, has been put together almost as if you positively SHOULD listen from beginning to end. The range or musical quality from all the contributing artists is exceptional, as are the dymanic vocal styles, and it is very evocative of a soundtrack to the ninties, however tired that cliche may be. I originally bought it because I liked a few of the tracks, but I grew to really appreciate them all, since they fitted in so comfortably together with each other. I have not given the album 5 stars, because that may denote perfection, but Timecode certainly comes close.