Profile for DragonOn > Reviews

Under the Dome
Under the Dome
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling and powerful epic from King, 31 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Under the Dome (Hardcover)
Under the Dome will strike many Constant Readers as a refreshing return to King's best writing. Admittedly, not quite at the level of Salem's Lot, The Stand, or It - but close enough for me.

Unlike most of the other book reviews, I'll pass on the seemingly cursory synopsis of the plot. I assume you've already read the Amazon blurb (or someone else's review). So I'll jump right in and tell you quickly what you get from reading Under the Dome.

Along with a compelling storyline, Under the Dome also paints and explores many themes across its broad canvas of 876 pages. We get a sense of how faith can lead mankind astray; we learn of the darker side of human nature in a crisis, and man's inclination toward evil; we take in the power and consequence of empathy; we get an insight into how greed and corruption often coexists alongside a warped sense of morality; and we also get a shrewd political allegory spanning totalitarianism and the power of authority.

What I enjoy most about King is that he is never afraid to tell it exactly how it is. And with Under the Dome, he tells of the bleak side of humanity. The following words of Dale Barabra, one of my favourite lines in the novel, sums this up perfectly.

"Sooner or later, the blood always hits the wall"

My advice is buy it....read it....enjoy it. Under the Dome was an unforgettable experience, and it was a shame it had to end.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2009 5:51 PM GMT

Lisey's Story
Lisey's Story
by Stephen King

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Reality is Ralph', 25 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Lisey's Story (Hardcover)
This book is full of amazing literary gems, more so than you'd usually expect from a SK work. However, what it boasts in its gilded language it lacks in pace. Granted it involves realistic, endearing charcters who become engraved upon our conscious mind, even hours after putting the book down, but Sk takes a sharp turn here toward that hazy concept of literary fiction; the concept he so vehemently believes is the art of ignoring the fundamental gift of a book; story. Although this book contains plots and a developing story, it does take a quite substantial amount of pages before we can actually become engaged and interested. Now in saying that I'm not comparing this with earlier works and rating it accordingly, as a lot of people are doing. I'm rating it based on the enjoyment I got from it, and I was torn between four and five stars. I gave it four in the end because of its slow start. All in all, a brilliant piece from one of the greatest storytellers known.

Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less
Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less
by Jeffrey Archer

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced and entertaining, 9 Aug. 2006
Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less, Jeffrey Archer's first novel, is a cunningly thought out story of revenge. It works around the theme of illicit reprisal, after four unconnected men are swindled out of large sums of money in the vain hope of earning a quick profit in an apparently success-bound oil company. These four men, however, join forces in order to gain back what was once theirs. Archer brings into play his usual trick of interweaving characters to great effect in this fantastic book. There are a few negligible flaws in the story, but all in all it is deserving of a 4 star score. Top notch from one of the best storytellers of his time.

False Impression
False Impression
by Jeffrey Archer

3.0 out of 5 stars Crime Fiction at its most mediocre, 27 July 2006
This review is from: False Impression (Hardcover)
Based upon crime fiction standards, I found it very hard to get engrossed in this book in its early stages. It wasn't until the plot reached the destination of Bucharest when I eventually felt compelled to sit down with the book for some considerable hours. The plot, however, is cunningly intricate and sophisticated, and it involves a number of interesting, interweaving characters, which combined cumulate into quite a worthwhile read. To put it in brief, this book is not a shining light among other crime fictions, but entertains in the end.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2010 9:54 PM GMT