Profile for Tim > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Return of the Son Of...
Return of the Son Of...

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't add to FZ's legacy, 29 Jan. 2016
I'm really not sure what this adds to FZ's legacy. I can see that hearing the sngs played live, and pretty faithfully, would be good. But the record doesn't add anything to FZ's records. Somehow the versions retain all that's a bit annoying and a bit shrill about Zappa, lose the FZ magic, and just jar a bit. It only cost me £4 to download, which was probably worth it to satisfy curiosity, but I'm not sure I'll listen to it much. In fact, last time I played it I had to turn it off as it was getting on my nerves.

Live At The Apollo (Feat. Gene Harris Y The Phillip Morris Super Band) by B.B. King (2008-04-22)
Offered by FHL Store

3.0 out of 5 stars But apart from a version of when love comes to town that just doesn't work, 1 Sept. 2015
Not quite what I expected - I missed that its with a big band! But apart from a version of when love comes to town that just doesn't work, this is really alright. Currently £3.99 in HMV, by the way!

Obscure Knowledge
Obscure Knowledge

4.0 out of 5 stars alive and joyful, 15 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Obscure Knowledge (Audio CD)
I can't really add to the descriptions of this album that have already been posted, other perhaps to note a similarity in feel as much with jazz like the necks, maybe soft machine, maybe a bit instrumental van der graaf? It isn't at all sterile, like much post-rock seems to me, but alive and joyful.

Convention Hall August 5, 1975, Asbury, New Jersey (Doxy Collection, Remastered, Live)

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic value, 5 May 2015
A great selection of tracks. The band are sharp. The sound is much better than I expected from a bootleg. And it was £3.19!

Spirit
Spirit

2.0 out of 5 stars headache, 3 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Spirit (MP3 Download)
I've rarely been so misled by reviews. This sounded great in theory but the vocals are headache inducing and the music bludgeoning, in a bad way. My fault for buying on the strength of reviews but wanted to alert others

Merlin Atmos - Live Performances 2013
Merlin Atmos - Live Performances 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth having in addtion to the other live albums, 5 Feb. 2015
I did wonder what a new live album, the fourth since reforming in 2005, could add. Why buy it as well as PAradiso or Metropolis?

Part of the answer of course is the live versions of Flight and Plague of Lighthouse Keepers, both of which sound fresh and sufficiently different to recorded versinos to be well worth having. Flight, in particular, sounds very different to the Black Box version - the organ really adds something to it (organ, I suppose).

But the new versions of the songs on the two previous live albums also sound fresher and more live, somehow - I like bunsho, for instance, better on this album than previous recorded or live rversiobns, the same with Gog, Lifetime etc.
So five stars a) because its fantastic because its a new VDGG album, but also b) because it sounds fresh, exciting, and live.

Men's Boys TCA SuperThermal Compression Base Layer Top Long Sleeve Thermal Under Shirt - White/Grey X Large
Offered by SportsShopUK

4.0 out of 5 stars good but snug, 17 Jan. 2015
seems just what I expected. Only really reviewing this to confirm what others have said about the size. You MUST use the size chart amongst the pictures, and even then its really skin tight. I'm a 42 chest, I bought XL, and it shows every lump and bump. Its ok for me because I bought it to wear under a football shirt but I wouldn't want to be seen with it on unless I lose a stone first!

Clemmie
Clemmie

2.0 out of 5 stars Showed its age, 26 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Clemmie (Kindle Edition)
I like thrillers of this period, but this seemed a very dated melodrama. I'll stick to his mysteries I think

...All That Might Have Been...
...All That Might Have Been...

4.0 out of 5 stars hasn't lost his creativity, 25 Nov. 2014
I was quite anxious waiting for this. I don't really get Consequences and worried this would be in the same direction as that and Thin Air. At the same time, I was also excited and counting down the days.

I've only got the download so far, but from the first few seconds could see I needn't have worried. Musically it's quite different, almost ambient, more synth and bass than anything, little strumming though a fair bit of distorted electric guitar, and no piano I've noticed. It's a bit hard to find tunes but not in a bad way.

I won't run through the tracks. That probably isn't the point anyway as the CD is apparently a continuous thing.

A welcome change and shows he hasn't lost his creativity. Really interesting album

Düülirium
Düülirium

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a listen for £3, 31 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Düülirium (MP3 Download)
I bought this out of curiosity - for £3, worth a go. I'm glad I did, as there's some interesting stuff on here. All long tracks, mainly guitar riff based, but a couple are more keyboardy and quieter. It sounds semi-improvised, on one or two tracks it definitely sounds like the singer is making it up. The editing is terrible, though - songs start and end suddenly, and I'm fairly sure the long last track is actually three different songs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4