Profile for ZIGZAG WANDERER > Reviews

Content by ZIGZAG WANDERER

ZIGZAG WANDERER "ZIGZAG" (SCOTLAND)

The Runner
The Runner
by Christopher Reich

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable but well written., 10 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Runner (Paperback)
I enjoyed this easy to read novel. It does not take long for the plot to split and you find yourself with the dual story format waiting for the two threads to meet and twist together. The bad guy is far more interesting than the good guy who is hunting him through a war-ravaged Germany just after the close of the second world war. Descriptions of ruined cities are sparse and could have been more developed. All in all not a bad read but don't find any reason to recommend it. Berlin Noir is a far better book dealing with a similar scenario...that I would recommend reading. Berlin Noir ('March Violets', 'The Pale Criminal' and 'A German Requiem') (Penguin Crime/Mystery)

A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind-Volume 2 - Pagan Love Vibrations Compiled and Mixed by The Amorphous Androgynous
Offered by makandmabel
Price: 14.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly misleading., 7 Nov 2009
I bought this and the first double cd after reading a review in the Sunday Times. Although not quite what I expected I think it is pretty good. Some rare psychedelic tunes mixed together but there is where I was slightly disappointed. The mixing is quite straightforward and I heard almost nothing of a twentyfirst century DJ's technological innovation. i.e. the use of a CDJ and state of the art mixing deck.
I would like to believe, as the ST review suggests, that this will be the shape of a musical trend to come...but I doubt it. Try listening to Spongle on Tip Records. That is the future. Mind Bomb

Not Abba: The Real Story of the 1970s
Not Abba: The Real Story of the 1970s
by Dave Haslam

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for 70s pop culture reasearch., 7 Nov 2009
Very well put together book, which makes for interesting reading if interested in seventies pop culture. If I had any criticism to level it would be that it is at times obvious that the author favours writing about what sounds like his favourite bands of the time and perhaps neglecting to mention others equally as important. The Buzzcocks are a point in case....I don't agree with the author about their influence on music styles....perhaps because I never liked them.
All in all a very good book...well written and well reasearched.