Profile for Mrs. Bryony A. Shaw > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Bryony A....

Mrs. Bryony A. Shaw "joltek" (Ely, Cambs)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Be Frank With Me: A Novel
Be Frank With Me: A Novel
by Julia Claiborne Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book - completely recommend., 26 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the best book I've read in a long long time ( and I read a lot). The characters are wonderful, real and flawed and I was hooked from the first page and finished in 2 days. It will be a fab one for schools and book clubs as I'm itching to discuss it with someone. Very definitely deserving of the full 5 stars .

Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Firm Skin Facial Moisturiser 50 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Firm Skin Facial Moisturiser 50 ml
Offered by Manuka Doctor UK Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work well though a bit heavier than I'm used to., 26 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This does work in that my skin feels much smoother but it has caused a couple of spot breakouts which I'm hoping is just because it's new. Seems a bit heavier than the creams I usually use so maybe just an adjustment period. Smells nice and absorbs quickly.

Garnier Ambre Solaire Lip Protection Stick SPF20 4.7ml
Garnier Ambre Solaire Lip Protection Stick SPF20 4.7ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lip balm., 22 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is great - I use lip balm all year round but glad to have a bit of sun protection built in for the summer. This smells nice but not too much and lovely to apply. Keeping my lips really soft and doesn't sting. Will be buying again.

Salter Stainless Steel Electric Pepper Mill
Salter Stainless Steel Electric Pepper Mill
Offered by ilikebargain UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough advantage over a manual mill to bother with., 16 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my dad who has mobility issues with his hands. Bit of a fiddle to get the batteries in (4AA) and they need to adjust the coarseness as its too fine for them at the default setting. After a week or so of use they have decided to go back to their standard mill. The only advantage they can see is that can use it one-handed but in general it's not really neccessary for them - a manual one does all they need. They find it a bit too noisy also.

Busy B School Year Calendar 2016 / 2017 with Monthly Pocket
Busy B School Year Calendar 2016 / 2017 with Monthly Pocket

4.0 out of 5 stars (Nearly) as good as ever., 14 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using the Busy B school year calendar for the last few years so was thrilled to get next years. I had tried various other calendars but overall this one seems to work best for us. It suits our family, as there are enough columns for us all to have one each plus a spare (5 plus a ‘Birthday column). The dual page layout means there is enough room to record appointments and term dates whilst still being able to see the whole month at a glance. The little pocket is very handy to store the odd letter or card that you need to keep track of.

It’s also very pretty! I’m not overly wowed by the front cover design this year but once the calendar is up on the wall you don’t see it anyway. I love the stickers (never use them but I love them!) although they are in slightly odd amounts – not quite enough term starts/term end ones but a lot more ‘Parent’s night’ ones than our school ever offers!

A slight change to the layout this year as there is no thicker back cover with the sticker pocket and little notepad. I am a bit sad that the little notepad has gone as it was very useful and to be honest now there is no specific storage for the stickers I will probably just lose them. The hanging system has changed slightly too as in previous years the cover has been slightly longer than the calendar meaning you only had to write column headings once. This year’s has a reinforced hole on the first page with a small ribbon hanging out of it but I can’t really see how you can use the ribbon to hang as you then wouldn’t be able to hook up other pages as the months pass. Only time will tell whether this hanging system will be strong enough to last a year. Overall the calendar feels a little less robust than last year’s.

One positive change is that the monthly pocket is slightly deeper which will hopefully make it a bit stronger and less likely to give way when I overfill it!

Still the calendar I would choose but wish they had stuck to the previous design.

Philips Sonicare AirFloss Pro HX8372/01 Electric Power Flosser
Philips Sonicare AirFloss Pro HX8372/01 Electric Power Flosser

3.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced it's anywhere near as good as flossing but quick and easy compromise., 13 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while as my teeth are quite packed together and I only get on with one type of floss pick which are quite expensive. I'm a bit lax with flossing and hoped I could get into a better routine with one of these.
It is easy to get into a routine with it alongside your brushing, it doesn't take very long. Got in a bit of a mess the first time with water all down my front but now I've got the hang of it it's better. I'm just not convinced it's actually doing a very good job. It does a few bits out but my teeth don't feel nearly as clean as when I've actually flossed.
I think it's probably half way between not flossing at all and proper flossing. I'm going to stick with it as it's easy and quick but will try and continue with proper flossing as well. Hopefully it will work better than nothing on the days I forget to floss.

Breville VKJ954 Vista Polished Stainless Steel Jug Kettle, 1.7 Litre, Silver
Breville VKJ954 Vista Polished Stainless Steel Jug Kettle, 1.7 Litre, Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid kettle., 9 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm pretty happy with this kettle. It has quite a small footprint on the worktop and looks quite smart but holds a lot of water. You have to open the lid to fill it rather than use the spout but the pop open function works well arm and it's a good pourer which is one of my main gripes about other kettles. It's pretty fast to boil, quite noisy but that's the price you pay for speed. No other bells or whistles really, just a kettle but it gets the job done without any fuss.

Boredom Buster (Lonely Planet Kids)
Boredom Buster (Lonely Planet Kids)
by Lonely Planet Kids

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun original ideas to keep kids busy on journeys., 6 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I always get a couple of activity books when we go away to keep my 9 year old daughter busy and this is a pretty good one. I like that a lot of the activities are just talking games and don't need a pen or to spend too much time looking at the book.there are some word searches and things in there too but a lot of fun word games and things that my kids haven't come across before. Well worth a buy before a long journey. Good size but a bit on the dark side which can make it trickier to read.

Sonos PLAY:1 Compact smart wireless speaker for streaming music (Black)
Sonos PLAY:1 Compact smart wireless speaker for streaming music (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab - if you have straightforward Wifi., 3 May 2016
I love the sound from this speaker and the app is great for controlling it. I was thrilled when I first got it and was really easy to setup and get going. After a few days I was having trouble connecting to it, I would open the app on my iPad or iPhone and the Sonos system could not be found. My husband had the same trouble with the android app. After contacting Sonos they said it was because we have an extender on our wifi so I think the Sonos was connecting to one bit and the app to another. To fix it I think I either need to buy an £80 box from Sonos or wire the Sonos directly into the wifi.
I'm frustrated as it has the potential to be really really great but has turned into a bit of a faff. I used to have a Phillips all3 speaker and didn't have any of these problems with that, although the interface was nowhere near as good and it broke after 8 months.
If you have normal wifi without weird extender plugs to make it stretch around the house then this system is pretty perfect. It's a work in progress for us to get this working seamlessly and I'm reluctant to pour more money into Sonos until I'm sure.
Since I've bought it, they have upgraded it to play Amazon Prime music which is a big bonus too for us.

BLU LIFE MARK UK 4G SIM-Free Smartphone - White
BLU LIFE MARK UK 4G SIM-Free Smartphone - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Android phone - fast and reliable., 27 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really impressed with this phone. Been comparing it with the Samsung s5 mini and my son's Moto G. It's fast, great picture quality and comes with no bloatware, just a clean android OS. It's very easy to set up, the back pops off easily and it comes with screen protector, soft shell case and headphones. The fingerprint sensor works really well, much better than on the S5 mini. It's slightly bigger that both the phones I was comparing with, more like the size of an iPhone 6. Nice and light despite this though and the battery life is decent.
All in all this is a great android phone for the money

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20