Profile for Mrs. Susan J. Doherty > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Susan J. ...

Mrs. Susan J. Doherty (London)

Ten Degrees West
Ten Degrees West

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this book, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: Ten Degrees West (Kindle Edition)
I thought this was an original and very entertaining yarn mixing an old school whodunnit with the RAF background to the story. Not a combination I'd ever seen before but one that proved both educational and very interesting as I had little knowledge of the V Force and the role played by the RAF in the Cold War.

The characters were very engaging. I particularly liked the perpetually puzzled young co-pilot and the canny AEO officer especially. It was a well written story that moved along at a good pace and I was genuinely surprised by the who that did it!

I hope there will be a sequel to this book as it ends on a real cliffhanger.

I Shall Wear Midnight: (Discworld Novel 38) (Discworld Novels)
I Shall Wear Midnight: (Discworld Novel 38) (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks something, 2 Sep 2010
I've loved Terry Pratchett's books for years and have every one of them but I thought "I Shall Wear Midnight" was a bit disappointing.

For one thing it is basically the same plot as every other book featuring Tiffany Aching. Tiffany faces a supernatural foe (The Elf Queen, Winter. the Hiver in previous books) and has to defeat it or face certain death. Tiffany is an engaging enough character and it is nice to see her growing into her role as the Hag o' the chalk but it all feels a bit too familiar.

Not a bad book by any means but certainly not the best Pratchett I ever read.

The Elfish Gene: Dungeons, Dragons And Growing Up Strange
The Elfish Gene: Dungeons, Dragons And Growing Up Strange
by Mark Barrowcliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 29 April 2007
I knew some of these people although a bit later. I cetainly remember "Billy" who I lived with for almost 3 years.

The book is authentic, funny and accurate. It is life as the teenage boys lived it at the time. As a rare girl who played D&D I well recall the interminable male arguments over the rules and "Billy" being the most brilliant and creative DM ever.

This is a very funny book. Buy it.