Profile for Ian > Reviews

Content by Ian

Ian (Rowley Regis, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Aftermath (The Unforeseen Duology Book 2)
Aftermath (The Unforeseen Duology Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended!, 31 May 2016
The second part of The Unforeseen Duology sees the Australians and their allies carry the fight back to the invading forces. Many of the characters will be familiar to those who have read The Reckoning.
This is a fast-paced and exciting read, very much in the vein of Andy McNab, Chris Ryan etc and shares those authors' attention to detail and authenticity when describing small-unit tactics and combat. It is apparent, even without the biographical details, that the author has had thorough military training and experience.
The characters are well-drawn and believable, with no super-hero performances and generally the story "rings true". I did have a quibble with the level of command that authorised the use of a major strategic asset, which I can't detail as I don't want to spoil the story, but that aside, this is a very well written story which I genuinely didn't want to put down.
Recommended!

I Don't Like Netball I LOVE It! Womens Ladies Cotton Short Sleeve Royal Blue T-Shirt - Size L / 14
Offered by Snuggle

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 25 Dec. 2015
Excellent service, great quality and value.

Division Zero
Division Zero

5.0 out of 5 stars An original and enthralling novel., 8 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Division Zero (Kindle Edition)
A very well-written and exciting story. Characterisation is very good, with convincing back stories and motivations. Set in a well-constructed future world it is a great mix of police procedural, horror, sci-fi and thriller.
The central concept of the worlds population living in a few huge cities is similar to the "Mega-cities" of Judge Dredd, but the way Matthew has developed the concept is different enough to avoid comparisons and seem fresh and original.
Having the main character possessing strong psychic abilities, without them being overpowering, is a great twist and I can see a long run in the series if Matthew can keep this level of writing going.

Highly recommended!

Josquin Des Pres: First Bass: The Ultimate Guide to Bass Fundamentals
Josquin Des Pres: First Bass: The Ultimate Guide to Bass Fundamentals
by Josquin des Prez

5.0 out of 5 stars A great learning resource, 9 Jun. 2014
As someone who has only been learning for six weeks, I've found this to be an excellent textbook. Used in conjunction with formal lessons, this has really enabled me to progress faster than I thought I would. Although I'm only working through the first few exercises, the rest of the book is full of useful information and it appears to contain just about everything you need to learn the fundamentals.

Recommended!

Eye of the Storm
Eye of the Storm

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent debut from an exciting new band., 30 July 2013
This review is from: Eye of the Storm (MP3 Download)
I discovered NYC band Eye Ra Haze by accident on Facebook, but was immediately hooked by their music.

This, their first EP release contains three songs which are instantly accessible, memorable and addictive. Great melodic songwriting and intelligent lyrics combine with a high level of musical dexterity. Their ability to deftly switch from soft and gentle to crushingly heavy riffs make this an exciting and rewarding listen.

The band builds on a strong, solid rhythmic foundation, with powerful and precise guitar, atmospheric, swirling keys and beautiful, distinctive vocals. There is a strong metallic spine running through each song, but Eye Ra Haze are very difficult to pigeon-hole. You get the feeling that their musical direction is not fixed and future releases could take them in any number of different directions.

The only point of criticism I can make here is that it is only an EP and not a full album. Happily they are, at the time of writing this review, currently writing more songs for an album release in the not-to-distant future. A very exciting prospect!

The Star Fraction: Book One: The  Fall Revolution Series (Fall Revolutions 1)
The Star Fraction: Book One: The Fall Revolution Series (Fall Revolutions 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Sci Fi from Ken MacLeod, 29 July 2013
I'd been meaning to read a Ken Macleod novel for some time and as I'd heard good things about this, I thought I'd give it a go.

This is a very intelligent, inventive, original and superbly written book. It's no secret Ken has left-wing leanings and, like the much missed Iain M Banks, he's not afraid to weave this into his work. It contains a well-constructed plot, great characterization and enough technical stuff to keep the biggest nerd happy. Again, as with Banks, the high-concept stuff meshes perfectly with the character-driven story. He has created a fascinating, believable yet very worrying vision of the future. I found it thoroughly enthralling and just I couldn't put it down. I'll definitely be reading the rest of Ken's work.

We may no longer have Iain's books to look forward to, but Ken is right up there with him in terms of the quality of his writing and the fertility of his imagination and I'd urge anyone who loves quality Sci-Fi to give this a read.

Excellent!

One Eye on the Sunrise
One Eye on the Sunrise
Offered by ProgRock Wales

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the albums of an outstanding year of music., 1 Mar. 2013
This review is from: One Eye on the Sunrise (Audio CD)
I'm a relatively new fan of Nine Stones Close, having heard about them last year and bought Traces. I found Traces to be very good indeed but with an indefinable something missing. I was very pleased to hear that Adrian Jones, the driving force behind the band, had managed to recruit the splendid Peter Vink on bass.

I was very intrigued as to how the music would progress, or if it would stay the same as on Traces. Happily I'm able to say that "One Eye..." is even better than Traces. All the band members are really at the top of their game here and the song-writing matches the musical talent. This all combines to make One eye a truly remarkable album.

Adrians wonderful guitar playing ranges from heavy, crunching riffs to delicate acoustic work, via deceptively simple-sounding Gilmouresque soaring emotionally charged solos and is always a delight to listen to. Similarly, Brendan Eyres complements him beautifully on keyboards with his range and musicianship, doing everything from filling in behind solos to taking the lead himself.

Peter Vink on bass and fellow "Knight Area" band-mate Pieter van Hoorn combine perfectly in the rhythm department giving the band a real driving power when needed and an always rock-solid foundation for the others to work from.

On vocals there is Marc Atkinson, who sang on Traces and also the critically-acclaimed "Riversea" album alongside Brendan. He never fails to hit the spot and his delivery of Adrian's lyrics is the final piece in a superb jigsaw. Lastly, mention must be given to the splendid Matt Stevens guesting on "Frozen Moment", where he fits perfectly into the band, alternating guitar solos with Adrian and really enhancing an already top-class line-up.

It is very hard to pick favourites from such an album, where everything is so very good, but probably I'd have to go with opener "Faceless Angel" and "Frozen Moment". Both contain scintillating guitar playing, which I have to admit is nearly always my priority when I listen to an album. If pressed to pick an absolute favourite however, it would have to be "One Eye On The Sunrise". It is a genuine epic of a song, where Adrian again excels with both delicate acoustic and heavy, almost "metal", playing. Brendan provides some wonderfully ominous, surging keyboards while Marc puts in probably his beat performance on the album.

The only note of sadness here, is that Marc has subsequently left the band to pursue his solo career, which leaves a rather large hole in the band. Having witnessed Adrian's ability to gather exactly the right blend of musicians, I'm sure he will find someone of equal talent. It all leaves me feeling very excited when I think of just what this Anglo-Dutch band is still capable of in the future.

An essential purchase!

Time Doesn't Matter
Time Doesn't Matter

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my "albums of the year", 16 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Time Doesn't Matter (MP3 Download)
Murky Red have released a storming debut album with "Time Doesn't Matter". There are eleven tracks of pure gold, with many influences ranging from the heavy end of metal to the most experimental prog. It is such a diverse mix that you sometimes think it shouldn't really work - but it does, superbly. The Murkies are almost impossible to pin down into a single genre, which to my mind is a very good thing indeed! It is very difficult to choose a favourite track, but Galadriel is the one I'd pick if push comes to shove. Atmospheric and powerful with beautiful guitar work and a great tune. The same can be said for every track, as all the members of the band are extremely talented musicians and the songwriting is uniformly strong. If you love rock music, you must get this album!

The Past is Not Far Behind - EP
The Past is Not Far Behind - EP

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb debut., 11 Oct. 2012
Whilst I have only been a fan of Ben's for a few months, after learning about his music from a friend, I have been looking forward to this release for a while now. I have to say I haven't been at all disappointed by this EP. The six songs are all written by Ben and range from gentle piano-based songs to full-on rockers. All the songs here are very well written, with strong melody and intensely emotional lyrics, which makes this an album that needs to be listened to and not just put on as background music. Ben has a remarkable voice, capable of delicacy and power, enabling him to deliver a wide range of musical styles. Add the high standard of musicianship and the wonderfully written songs and this all makes for a superb debut. Ben proves that the "old-fashioned" combination of hard work, talent and inspiration is the only way to make great music and I can't wait for his next release!

Black Flip Leather Case Cover & Car Charger for HTC ChaCha Cha Cha
Black Flip Leather Case Cover & Car Charger for HTC ChaCha Cha Cha

5.0 out of 5 stars A great bit of protection, 30 Nov. 2011
This is a well-made and very reasonably priced cover. I had the misfortune to drop my phone onto concrete the other day and although it was dislodged from the cover, there was no damage to it. A very good buy!

Page: 1 | 2