Profile for Quiddity > Reviews

Content by Quiddity

Quiddity (England)

Unresolved Targets (Gotham Central)
Unresolved Targets (Gotham Central)
by Ed Brubaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and dark., 28 Dec. 2011
This section of Gotham Central really gets back to how Batman is best: dark, gritty and deadly. Unresolved Targets comprises 12-15 and 19-22 of Gotham Central; 'Soft Targets' and 'Unresolved'; the first to do with the internal conflicts of the GCPD and their battle against a seemingly random sniper, where the second is about an unresolved case that is more complicated than it seems, and can be traced back a lot further than it first appears.

The artwork for this volume is excellent, very 'noir', it's sketchy, dark, beautifully put together with rich scenery and an amazing attention to little details. It also contains one of my favourite versions of Jervis Tetch, the Mad Hatter, and explores the feelings, weaknesses and relationships of the officers of the GCPD and how the city suffers during Batman's fights.

The writing and artwork are both awesome, and it's really worth owning.

Upgrade Your French, Second Edition
Upgrade Your French, Second Edition
by Margaret Jubb

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful at a variety of levels, 7 Dec. 2011
I was recommended this book by a lecturer during my French degree, for "ironing out any remaining problems", and it certainly helps with that. The lessons it recommends aren't too heavy, they're quite clear, and the book has certainly helped me banish a few persistent problems in my French writing.

However, I disagree with the description; I actually found the style of writing very condescending. The introduction alone made me cringe with it's affirmation that if you're a high-achiever, it's not for you. It's only for the people who are struggling, and it reiterates that. If you can get past that cloying tone throughout the book, then the content is extremely helpful.

Crimes of Dr. Watson: An Interactive Sherlock Holmes Mystery
Crimes of Dr. Watson: An Interactive Sherlock Holmes Mystery
by John Watson

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun design, and an interesting mystery!, 26 Nov. 2011
I first saw this book while in France, read the translated version and immediately knew that a friend of mine would love it.

Although the idea of "interactive" books seems like something designed only for children - this is quite the opposite. It's beautifully illustrated, with carefully designed "interactive" pieces, such as tickets, letters, etc.
In my opinion, this is an absolute gem of a book.
The puzzle itself is clearly set out, but by no means is it easy to solve; and fits well into the standard Sherlock Holmes mysteries by being just as perplexing and bizarre as the originals.

Overall, an incredibly enjoyable and unique read, with an amazing amount of style!

Playing cards, blank both sides, pack of 1000 - 00810
Playing cards, blank both sides, pack of 1000 - 00810
Offered by Witzigs Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, and perfect for revision!, 26 Nov. 2011
I bought these cards for language revision, and they have been absolutely perfect.
They're durable, they arrived in perfect condition, small enough to put a stack of them in a handbag and they're very easy to write on without smudging. The cards themselves are good quality - they aren't flimsy or papery, and I don't think I'll be needing any more for a while! :)

The Conran Cookbook
The Conran Cookbook
by Sir Terence Conran

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could only have one cookbook, it'd be this one. :), 6 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Conran Cookbook (Paperback)
I absolutely adore the Conran Cookbook, and in general, cookbooks aren't my thing.
I tend to head straight to the internet to find recipes if I go to find them at all, but this book has pretty much anything I could need.
From how to pick the right potatoes for mash, to delicious dessert recipes, to how to gut a fish properly - this book has everything, and it is all set out clearly with clear pictures and instructions that aren't that hard to follow.

I think this is a fantastic addition to anybody's bookshelf, whether they are a keen chef, or just beginning.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A good purchase!, 6 Nov. 2011
I bought these lenses for a costume; they arrived quickly, in good condition and have lasted well. The colour is obviously a little variable, but they are bright and vibrant enough to give the right effect - and I had absolutely no problems with them.

Yum-Yum Bento Box: Fresh Recipes for Adorable Lunches
Yum-Yum Bento Box: Fresh Recipes for Adorable Lunches
by Maki Ogawa

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, fun little book!, 6 Nov. 2011
A friend of mine sent me this book as a present for my birthday - since we both love making pretty bento boxes, and healthy, but interesting looking lunches.
This book is one of the best bento resources I have ever found. The pictures are clear, the recipes are well set out, and the instructions are not hard to follow at all.
Additionally, there are suggestions for substitutions if you don't want to use certain ingredients, or don't have them in your cupboard, and there are so many different things that you can make that you are unlikely to run out of ideas.
Definitely a worthwhile book to own!

CarmenBeauty Duet 5-in-1 (12998) Epilator
CarmenBeauty Duet 5-in-1 (12998) Epilator

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but noisy!, 8 Feb. 2009
When they say it's quiet, it's a lie, definitely - and my flatmates are probably pretty confused by the strange whirring noises from behind my door, but on the utility side of things - it's great!

Works incredibly well, very easy to use and I've been amazed how long I can leave it between uses. The different heads are useful, and it's easy enough to transport. Overall, worthwhile buy.