Profile for Emma Sutton > Reviews

Content by Emma Sutton

Emma Sutton (Huddersfield, West Yorks United Kingdom)

OMG Observational Marketing Greats: 1
OMG Observational Marketing Greats: 1
by Geoff Ramm
Price: 11.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Marketing Insights, Easy to Read and it WORKS!!!, 14 Dec 2012
Some books change the way you look at your world - by opening your eyes to something that is already there but you never noticed before - this is one of those books.

Geoff Ramm shows how just opening your eyes to the marketing that surrounds you every single day is the best teacher in the world.... What stands out in the barrage of marketing messages that you are exposed to every day? Keep your eyes open and you can learn nearly everything you need to know...

For those of us who haven't been that observant over the last ten years or so, Geoff luckily has. He has compiled a collection of impressive marketing ideas from businesses around the world, so brings the topic effortlessly to life with photos, examples and plenty of great stories.

If you are looking for a book that is packed with lots of impenetrable marketing theories that are short on examples, then find another book. This one is not about theory, it's all about practice. At the end of reading the book, I had a mindmap packed with great ideas to market my business.

Since then (about 2 months ago), I have found marketing to be more fun, and it is having a real impact on my business - with one woman begging me for one of my little diamonds at a networking event (which never happens with my business card, however cool people think they are...)

Here's another take on this review: [...]

You know that you're reading something that's genius, when it all seems so obvious you wonder why you haven't thought of it before.

OMG by Geoff Ramm is that genius.

Chain & Anchor Making in the Black Country
Chain & Anchor Making in the Black Country
by Philip Moss
Price: 11.87

4.0 out of 5 stars A thorough book on chain and anchor making - if not the chainmakers themselves, 7 Jan 2008
This is an excellent book on the techniques and tools of chain and anchor making. I learnt a great deal about the industry by reading this book, which I bought as part of some family history I am researching.

Ron Moss is a very experienced man and has researched this matter in great detail. As a result, he was able to draw upon and quote from/ reference a vast array of other books and research in this area. The book gives a good and thorough history of chain making and how chain changed to meet the changing needs of its customers. There are detailed drawings and photographs that explain the various processes and chains/ anchors which help guide the reader through some quite complex descriptions.

Much of the information was new to me and I genuinely learnt a great deal from the book, which have helped give a historical context to the reason for the chain making industry in Cradley Heath (where my ancestors come from).

However, whilst it contained a lot of technical information, drawings, references and so forth, I wanted to know still more about the chainmakers themselves. This was included, as was issues with children in the workshops etc, but I still felt there was more to know about them, their lives, their social lives, their local societies etc (beyond the excellent information on their unions). I also badly needed some reference to understand how much or little they were paid - what did five shillings buy? How much might their rent or food be (so were they very poor or getting on okay)?

I was surprised that Robert Sherard's book "White Slaves of England" that refers to the Chaimakers of Cradley Heath was not referred to in Ron's book. Even if only to draw the reader's attention to alternative sources of information on the lives of chainmakers in this region.

Overall though, a very thorough and well referenced read on the history and decline of the chainmaking industry in this region for 150 years or so.

A short history of Mousehole with personal recollections
A short history of Mousehole with personal recollections
by Nettie M PENDER

4.0 out of 5 stars Life in a Cornish village brought to life, with some surprises, 7 Jan 2008
I bought this book as I was looking for information on Mousehole as part of some family research I am undertaking. Living some distance away, I wanted some more personal insight into the place, its customs and what life was really like when my ancestors lived there.

This book was written in 1970, but is far from limited to 20th Century history. It brought Mousehole alive to me, in a very personal way. I found the book to be a great source of information and history - starting with the beliefs around how Mousehole came to be named and including history back into the 14th century with the building of the Old Quay/ the raid by the Spanish and the Cornish language. Nettie has used historical books and references to build a really thorough picture of the place, its history and some of its most colourful characters.

That would have been enough, but on one page, she actually quotes my great grandfather Fred Cornish (by then a retired customs officer). Imagine my delight!!

There is much of interest in this little book for anyone wishing to learn more about Mousehole and Cornwall/ its people and its customs, especially those with a particular interest in this village. Wonderful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2010 6:04 PM BST

Fish!: A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results
Fish!: A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results
by Stephen C. Lundin
Price: 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fishmongers teach us a thing or two, 18 Jun 2003
This book is a little gem. It is quick to read (one hour), contains very simple messages & yet has the power to turn businesses around.
It is a story about a manager in a department that is struggling with low energy, low morale and a poor reputation. One lunchtime she watches some fishmongers do something extraordinary - have fun, create amazing energy and enthusiasm and inspire others (they have spectators!).
The fishmongers distil their magic into four principles:
(i) Play - a light-hearted attitude and having fun in the workplace can make work an enjoyable experience (shock, horror for those who think work is a four letter word).
(ii) Make Someone's Day - creating a Wow! factor for your customers, going that little bit further than your competitors: it makes you memorable and keeps them coming back
(iii) Choose your Attitude - if you are at work 40hours+ a week, why not have fun, be positive and enjoy it?
(iv) Be Present - when someone is talking to you, don't email, think of other things, really concentrate on them, make a connection - people notice and it counts.
Are these the answers to your morale, high sickness or high turnover problems? Possibly. For one hour and a few quid's investment, isn't it worth finding out?
What I loved was the additional information in the follow-up book (Fish Tales) that show real people and real businesses (from nurses, to call centres, to car salesmen and roofers) using the FISH! principles and creating wonderful places to work (for them and their customers). Maybe a year on you'll want to get Fish Sticks to learn how to keep the momentum going once the initial buzz has worn off.
What I learnt was if they can, I can use this to bring new life and energy into my business and those I work with. Great stuff: inspiring, yet simple.