Profile for Defshep > Reviews

Flash Gordon (Silver Aniversary Edition)  [1980] [DVD]
Flash Gordon (Silver Aniversary Edition) [1980] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sam J. Jones
Offered by Disc-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars "Gordon's Alive?!", And Looks and Sounds Better Than Ever!, 9 Mar. 2006
There is no question that this movie is total cheese. Having said that, I'll explain now why I love it so much!
"Flash" was released when I was an innocent 10 year-old (innocent 10 year-olds are actually getting less and less common), and I never missed a sci-fi/adventure flick at the local small town, one cinema theatre. "Flash Gordon" was different from then contemporary space adventures. It was colourful, uptempo (alot of this had to do with Queen's great score), inventive, and rather goofy. It looked like a live-action cartoon! I know I saw this film at least half a dozen times during it's release, and then as often as possible when it aired on HBO.
The DVD quality is better than I would've expected, and the somewhat lively audio track caused my home theatre to thump to Queen's "Flash...AAHHH!" theme. The special effects still don't reflect the reported $35 million (hefty for the time) budget, but it just doesn't matter. I ordered from Amazon.co.uk because the only version available in the U.S. is an out of print copy selling for over fifty dollars! I got the Silver Anniversary Edition from the UK for under $18 (shipping included), and less than a week after ordering! Great job, Amazon!
Okay, so I didn't really explain why I love this film to this day. Maybe it's just for Ornella Muti... But it holds a special place in my heart, along with other films from the time like "Superman II","Raiders of the Lost Ark", and "Empire Strikes Back". As a matter of fact, I believe it's inspired modern film, to some degree. With it's rich colours and cinematography, I would call it a visual feast - maybe a "Fifth Element" for it's time.