Profile for Shona Lawrence > Reviews

Content by Shona Lawrence

Shona Lawrence "Booky Ramblings of a Neurotic Mom" (Corby, Northants)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Ghost Heart (The PSS Chronicles Book 3)
Ghost Heart (The PSS Chronicles Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 3rd instalment in a series that is proving to be one of my favourites., 16 Oct 2014
For those of you not in the know, this is the 3rd book in the PSS Chronicles. Ghost Hand and Ghost Hold must be read before Ghost Heart.
I remember when the first book in the series arrived on my kindle... I remember how interested I was in reading about this 'Ghost Hand' of Olivia's and I remember that it took me a while to actually read it and I remember kicking myself when I finally got round to it because I loved it. So you would think I would know better than to do the same thing again. Well apparently not. Ghost Heart has been sat loaded on my kindle for... I don't even know how long , and for one reason or another I have neglected it. And now that I have devoured it I am kicking myself for not reading it sooner and verbally kicking Patton for that ending.

The PSS Chronicles is such an original concept that it really stands out from other books in it's genre, but it's Pattons writing that really draws you in to the story. And keeps you there. In Ghost Heart Patton allows the story to unfold from different POV's which allows you to get a much better understanding of some of the characters we've met earlier in the series. And in doing so allows for there to be so much more story told than if she had stuck to just telling the story from Olivia's POV.

There isn't quite as much action in this book as there has been earlier in the series, but there is still so very much going on. We are still in the dark with regards to which side of The Hold/CAMFers line certain characters loyalties lie. And while certain questions are answered we still have many left unanswered... not to mention new questions. *cough* that ending *cough*.

This is proving to be one of my most favourite of series and I cant wait to find out where Olivia's story goes next.

Wolf Springs Chronicles: Hot Blooded: Book 2
Wolf Springs Chronicles: Hot Blooded: Book 2
by Nancy Holder

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of action, secrets and mystery, 23 Sep 2014
Once again I was pulled into Katelyn's world and her story would not let go. From the very first page the tension was building... It felt like there was constantly something going on, to the point that I almost breathed a sigh of relief when the book ended. Almost... because I was still gasping in shock at that ending!

Holder and Viguie have done a great job of keeping you interested in the story, blind siding you with things you just didn't see coming, making you jump up and down with glee at a certain persons comeuppance and yet giving absolutely nothing away. I finished this book with a few things firm in my mind... but just as many unanswered questions as I started the book with.

I have to admit, I love Katelyn in this book, seeing her come into her power is great. She may be trying to shy away from it all but with what we have seen so far, IF this girl relaxes into them she will be awesome. I'm now torn between wanting the next book to be the last book and wanting there to be many more in the series.

**This is the second book in the Wolf Springs Chronicles and you do need to have read the first book before beginning this one.

Wolf Springs Chronicles: Savage: Book 3
Wolf Springs Chronicles: Savage: Book 3
by Nancy Holder

5.0 out of 5 stars Great conclusion to this great series, 23 Sep 2014
Where to start? I freaking loved it! Katelyn suddenly grew a pair and did what she needed to do to protect herself.. and the packs. She could quite easily have taken what she knew and used it for her own gain and let the packs fight it out amongst themselves. But she didn't, she embraced her wolf nature and stood tall. And she kicked ass!

Savage was a rollercoaster of action and coupled with the secrets that were unveiled throughout the story, kept me on the edge of my seat. There were twists galore in this series. Some I saw coming and some that jumped out from the woods and knocked me on my ass with shock.

For the first time in a while I have come across a series of books that makes me want to re-read them immediately. While I loved the 'everything gets wrapped up and answered' ending I would have quite happily bought several more books in this series.

From start to finish this series has been amazing. The cover of Unleashed called to me from the book store shelf and a quick scan of the first page had me hooked. And I've been hooked ever since. This is a series I look forward to introducing to my daughter. And i look forward to reading other work by Holder and Viguie.

From Rock Bottom to Skye High
From Rock Bottom to Skye High

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut novel, 23 Sep 2014
This is one of those books that you start reading and before you know it you are almost all the way through the book and the entire day has flown by. This is Smith's début novel and she has succeeded in giving us the reader a book you can truly lose yourself in.

Skye is such a likeable character one that I could relate to right from the very beginning. She experiences something nobody wants to experience and she doesn't let her grief cripple her. She picks herself up, dusts herself off and sets out to achieve the life she has always dreamed of.

The Space In Between - Book 1
The Space In Between - Book 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect mix of fantasy, paranormal, romance and mystery., 8 Sep 2014
I thought the book started out a little slow, not a yawning OMG when will this pick up slow, but rather it eased you into the characters and their surroundings. There was no rush to fill the early chapters with long drawn out passages of back story, instead we learn about Moira and her friends and family as the story progresses. Moira was an easy character to like, she accepted people for who they are without judgement, which is why I struggled to understand why she was with someone like Patrick. I knew from the very beginning I didn't like Patrick.

I will be honest and admit that it took me several days to read this, that was my fault, for not being able to find time to sit down and read. So I set aside a whole day to dedicate to finishing this. Once I was able to sit for more than a few minutes I devoured the book, I found that I couldn't step away and had to read on until the books conclusion.

Minkman once again does a great job with creating a piece of writing that has the reader believing they could be there witnessing the scenes unfold for themselves without overloading you with descriptive text. She provides the perfect mix between fantasy, paranormal, romance and mystery.

Vampire Academy The Complete Series Box Set
Vampire Academy The Complete Series Box Set
by Richelle Mead

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series., 19 Aug 2014
A great series, not to be missed out on.

The Forgotten Ones: Book 1 (The Danaan Trilogy)
The Forgotten Ones: Book 1 (The Danaan Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a read., 19 Aug 2014
Argggghhhh! Why do I do this to myself? Once again I have had a great book sat on my kindle for forever and time after time I have put off reading it only to finally sit down to it and read it all in one sitting. I was blown away by Howard's writing style which is all the more impressive by the fact that this is her debut novel.. and it has left me with an urge to read more of her work. Luckily for me I have her second book in this series, Stone of Destiny, already loaded on my Kindle waiting for me.

From the very first few pages I was drawn to Allison and I knew almost immediately that I was going to love this book. I'm not saying that Allison is perfect, she made a couple of choices I wouldn't have made.. Like constantly casting Ethan aside. Even when she was 'giving him a chance' she was really quick to shut him out. And while I understand her reasoning that doesn't mean I have to agree with them. I'm still trying to work out if she was overly harsh on her father when he arrives, especially given his reason for not being there.. totally valid. But I did like the way their relationship developed throughout the story.

Looking through other reviews and it would seem that Howard has come under fire for her choice of names for her characters, or rather the spelling of those names. But personally I found it to be a great addition to the story, it adds a real Irish flavour to a story that is thick in Irish mythology. If you are going to have a centuries old Irish character it would seem rather out of place if his name was spelled Aiden or Declan. Easier to pronounce, yes, but not authentic. And that is one of the things that gives this book its charm. Howard stayed true to her story and for that I applaud her.

Paranormal Anthology with a TWIST
Paranormal Anthology with a TWIST

4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of short stories, something for everyone., 19 Aug 2014
I was going to do a mini review for each of the stories within the anthology, but then I realised just how large this post would be.
I've never been overly keen on anthologies, in the past I've always felt like I was missing out on the bigger story. This is a great anthology of shorts, and works as a great introduction to 11 new to me authors. There are a few books that I have seen written by a few of these authors, but I wasn't ready to take the jump into buying their work but having seen samples of it here I am more than convinced by their capabilities.

This collection has something for everyone, there is a vast range of paranormal creatures within these stories. So you wont be left disappointed. And the twists.. they keep on coming. I promise you, some of these you wont see coming.

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds: The New Generation [DVD]
Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds: The New Generation [DVD]
Dvd ~ Liam Neeson

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing reboot., 19 Aug 2014
I love this. I know everyone claims that you cant improve on the original but Jeff Wayne has done just that. The cast have done an amazing job of making this their own.

And my kids love this almost as much as i do.... they quite often ask to watch it.

Bloodlines: Silver Shadows (book 5)
Bloodlines: Silver Shadows (book 5)
by Richelle Mead

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG this is amazing., 19 Aug 2014
It seems like forever since the last instalment in this series and as my Facebook friends will tell you I was rather impatient waiting for my copy of Silver Shadows to arrive. Once I opened this book I barely put it down until it was done. That's how addictive this series is, how well written these books are, how awesome Richelle Mead is... OK so now I'm gushing.

Writing this review without spoilers is gonna be hard.. there is SO much I wanna tell you. And there's SO much that happens that once you hit a certain point in the book there is no chance of being able to step away, the action grabs you and carries you along. I swear when the book ended I actually needed to stop and catch my breath.

When Fiery Heart ended I wondered how we were going to get Sydney back from this, how Adrian was going to survive this... and Mead has worked her magic in ways I never dreamed was possible. At several points in the book I cried with Sydney and for Adrian. My poor Adrian Ivashkov, always underestimated, never taken seriously. All those people who called themselves friends and family and yet they didn't have a clue what he was going through. And despite having to battle his spirit demons as well as struggling with his worries for Sydney and the realisation that he might never find her again he somehow manages to find the strength to do what needs to be done.
Sydney who always puts the needs of others before her own... trapped in an Alchemists re-education centre and what does she do? Puts herself in jeopardy trying to help other people. But then she wouldn't be our Sage if she didn't help. Sydney grew quite a bit in this book, proved how strong she was mentally and surprised me by doing a few things I didn't think she ever would.

The question left to ask now is what will become of Sydrian in The Ruby Circle? And why do we have to wait until next year to find out? *pouts*

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17