Profile for JohnRob > Reviews

Very good.

LIVE WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM OUR FRIENDS
LIVE WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM OUR FRIENDS

5.0 out of 5 stars Real live music, 5 Mar. 2014
There can't be many better live bands around than Govt Mule, especially when they have a host of guests like Derek Trucks, Marc Ford, Randall Bramlett amongst others. This album is superb and covers such a range of genres. The Mule play some of their own songs like the thundrous opener 'Thorazine Shuffle', 'The Mule' and 'Soulshine' but even better are covers of Sabbath's 'War Pigs', Free's 'Mr. Big', Humble Pie's '30 Days in The Hole', Traffic's 'Sad and Deep as You' and Neil Young's 'Cortez the Killer' and more. A stunning album that makes you wish you were there. Warren Haynes is a superb guitarist and a more than adequate vocalist.

Bridge The Gap
Bridge The Gap

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 4 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Bridge The Gap (Audio CD)
I'm a big Schenker fan but I think this is average at best. Probably because I don't like the vocals, Metal Mikey plays OK but I don't think there are any outstanding tracks. Certainly nothing close to his UFO and early MSG stuff. I often wonder if his ego has prevented him linking with a real top notch singer to avoid being over shadowed. Just an opinion.

El Pistolero
El Pistolero

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the Year, 16 July 2013
This review is from: El Pistolero (Audio CD)
If there is a better album then 'El Pistolero' this year then I'd like to hear it. Mick Brown is a real talent - he plays good guitar, has a great voice and is a fine songwriter. The album flows beautifully and successfully tells the story of the gunslinger (El Pistolero) who finally meets his match. My only slight criticism is that most of the really great songs come in the second half of the album, so it is a bit of a slow starter on the first few listens. Highlights for me are 'Dead Garden', the magnificent 'Scream in Silence', 'Hangman', the equally magnificent 'There's a Man', the poignant 'Until The War Is Won' and the pulsating climax 'Now I Ride'.
Brilliant.

One More From The Road - Deluxe Edition
One More From The Road - Deluxe Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 Nov. 2010
I got this on vinyl when it first came out way back and I loved it, but this deluxe edition is on another level. This is one of the best rock bands blasting out some of their best songs. Packed with great tracks, my favourites are 'I Aint the One', 'Gimme Three Steps', 'Simple Man' and 'Free Bird', of course. OK, the second CD has a lot of duplicates but they are all great songs. It's nicely packaged as well with an informative booklet.
As live albums go I rate this up in my top three with UFO's 'Strangers' and the Allman's 'Fillmore'.
This is top quality live rock and roll.

Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs
Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs
Offered by westworld-

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 5 Nov. 2010
This is a big disappointment, I don't see what all the fuss was about it. It's a bit too much `country style' for me and also far too sombre. The first two tracks are very ordinary and set the tone for the album, which doesn't warm up until track 7 - an excellent cover of the blues classic `Key to the Highway'. After that `Have You Ever Loved a Woman' is pretty good and then there is `Layla' itself, which actually does sound rather tired now as I've heard it so often. For a record that pairs Eric Clapton with Duane Allman, the guitar playing is rather low key. The album confirms my view that Clapton never hits the heights of his playing with Cream, once they disbanded.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2015 12:31 AM GMT