Profile for H. Jones > Reviews

Sacred Space: The Prayer Book 2013
Sacred Space: The Prayer Book 2013
by The Irish Jesuits

5.0 out of 5 stars Time to Think, 23 Jan 2013
I bought this having visited the sacred space website and not always being able to get onto it thought this would be a good back up. It's very easy to use, throughly inspiring and just as "addictive" as the website. The stages of prayer are well laid out with the readings for each week following with inspiration guides.

There is a difference beween the book and the website and you don't get the variety that the website offers, but the mobility of a book means you have it on tap wherever you go.

What I love about the book and site is that it isn't sacareen sweet or too intellectual. It says it as it is and anyone can access it and get something out of it whatever denomination or stage of religious discovery they may be at.

For those who maybe new to prayer it is invaluable and has certainly changed my prayer life.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, 23 Jan 2013
This does keep you warm, but I have found the sizes a bit generous - the straps keep slipping off. Quality is OK although now a few months in some elastic is fraying. Compared with my older thermal vests these are better but I am still searching for really good qaulity that lasts more than a few months.

BaByliss 5541CU Pro Speed 2200 W Hair Dryer
BaByliss 5541CU Pro Speed 2200 W Hair Dryer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Dry in minutes!, 23 Jan 2013
My travel hairdryer that I have had for over 20 years was finally wrecked by the children. I was so pleased to choose a new hairdryer and this one has just transformed my hairdrying! It doesn't make it dry and frizzy and takes minutes rather 10s of minutes to get the look I want (and I have no patience with time and hair drying). Only word of warning: I did use it the first time to volumise my hair: wow - it does volumise it.... I wont be doing that again.

All in all a really good product and the temperature adjustments and power adjuestments work birlliantly for me.

Slazenger Boyleg Swimming Suit Ladies Blue/LtBlue/Nvy 14
Slazenger Boyleg Swimming Suit Ladies Blue/LtBlue/Nvy 14

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 23 Jan 2013
Love this swim suit. Very comfortable, sporty and easy to take on and off. Gets rid of problem bikini line too ! For a regular swimmer I have enjoyed wearing it. Only slight grumble is that it does pull a little, but possibly due to the fact that I am between sizes. I really don't like going back to t he traditional swimsuit after this one and would really recommend highly.

Sloggi Sloggi Sensual Fresh Wired Bra Full Cup Women's Bra White 34C
Sloggi Sloggi Sensual Fresh Wired Bra Full Cup Women's Bra White 34C

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic Comfort, 23 Jan 2013
I was hoping that the bra would be as comforatble as knickers that sloggi are so good at, but I was disappointed. It's OK but feels very flimsy and rather scratchy compared with M&S comfort bras I've had in the past. I'll be going back to those.... OK for light support but not a good long term bra.

Asterix Omnibus 2: Asterix the Gladiator, Asterix and the Banquet, Asterix and Cleopatra
by Rene Goscinny

5.0 out of 5 stars Omnibus or individual stories..., 2 May 2012
... that was the question vexing me when deciding to purchase Asterix for my 8 year old. He has read quite a few already and i was very unsure whether 3 books in one would be too unwieldy to read easily.

However I was very pleased with the first two volumes I decided to buy having seen the price of individual stories and despite having read one of the 3 books in the omnibus he was delighted to have some new ones - also like the picture on the spine that really makes you want to buy the rest of the set. Marketing ploy maybe but fun...

Of course Asterix and Obelix are classic and through them my 8 year old is now learning a bit of "Latin" and has even got the Minimus book as a start. Plus he is an expert on Romans - so history is (for him) just fun, fun, fun!

Staedtler 512 128 Double Hole Tub Triangular Sharpener
Staedtler 512 128 Double Hole Tub Triangular Sharpener

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye cheap horrible sharpeners, 2 May 2012
I know this is merely a pencil sharpener but I have been sick and tired of emptying out my son's pencil case with sharpenings or finding cheap plastic sharpeners with containers where the lid falls off and the shavings are all over the pencil case again. Etc Etc. however this is like a rolls-royce of pencil sharpeners. Ok it's a tad pricey. But you will only buy once. Probably. It feels heavy in your hand and the top fits solidly onto the tub. To disengage you have to push the side in and it does unlock but not that easily so spillages can be avoided. My 8 yr old has no problem with it at all.

It also sharpens beautifully to a really good solid sharp point.

I am going to get one for youngest son and one for me too and merrily chuck out all those other substandard sharpeners lurking in shame in the depths of their pencil cases...

Tales from the Greek Legends (Junior Classics)
Tales from the Greek Legends (Junior Classics)
by Edward Ferrie
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Gory but mesmorizing, 8 Mar 2012
When I first heard this in the car I was a bit taken aback at the vivid goriness of the descriptions of battles with montsers. My husband and I can barely contain ourselves sometimes when we hear of the dismembering of some monster by a hero, but our boys (5 and 7) absolutely LOVE it. SO does our school ride boy (11) who is actually quiet for the only time during the day! I find the narrator's voice a bit monotone but he is very clear and given the gore he has to describe I think he does very well. I need to get the next CD as I am getting to know the Tales of the Greek Legends a bit too well - love the backing music too when it occurs... Not for bedtime stories but great for car journeys!

Eddie's Garden: and How to Make Things Grow
Eddie's Garden: and How to Make Things Grow
by Sarah Garland

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for nuturing an interest in the outdoors, 10 Jun 2008
Helpful in that one of my boys is named Eddie, but nevertheless the subject matter and way the tale was told was enough to persuade my 4 yr old that gardening is quite fun after all. Very gentle humour with the toddler, Lily continually trying to eat worms and soil: so true to life!

After having read the book my 4 yr old was suddenly interested in worms and soil and digging - no other book has sparked his interest in the same way.

Really good ideas about what to plant and how (especially a bean wigwam) and notes at the end to help parents with planing a veggie plot, but also realistic in realising not every garden has a large swathe of earth that can be dug up as in Eddie's Garden.

What I really liked too was that Eddie has good ideas that his mother adopts showing a respect for the child and that they too can contribute and are not always just doing what the adults suggest.

There is quite an obvious one-parent-family slant to the book for adults, but equally the father figure may just be away at work for those who don't wish to deal on that aspect of it. My eldest certainly didn't even question it.

Lovely illustrations and a really good read. I'd say suitable for a book loving 3yr old +. My 2 yr old certainly won't sit through it, but my 4 yr old loves it.

The Robot and the Bluebird
The Robot and the Bluebird
by David Lucas

5.0 out of 5 stars If emotional read through before reading to child!, 26 Feb 2008
What a LOVELY book - about love, loss and sacrifice essentially but very beautifully written and extremely moving and very positive. It's a great book if you know you will facing a bereavement to prepare the way. Age group about 3 upwards, possibly even from 2 1/2.

If however you have suffered recent loss it is very hard to read if you are sensitive. Even had my husband welling up.

Not religious so would not offend, and also sits well within a religious context too if wanted.

My son (almost 4) thought it a sad book, but also very much liked it and certainly I did not have any feeling of dwelling on death on his part.

It's a good read, beautifully illustrated and certainly introduces the concept of loss and selflessness in a very sensitive, poignant and positive way.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4