Profile for D. Harley > Reviews

Content by D. Harley

D. Harley "Gaitero" (Scotland)

Chineasy: The New Way to Read Chinese
Chineasy: The New Way to Read Chinese
by ShaoLan Hsueh

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent way to build a vocabulary. But some key words are missing, 4 Jun 2014
Entertaining and logical way to build up characters and meaning. The approach has presumably used the characters that lend themselves to this approach i.e. building complicated character from simpler ones. But key words like you and s/he are missing

Mozart - Così fan tutte
Mozart - Così fan tutte

4.0 out of 5 stars Good recording but musically doesn't quite do it for me, 4 Jun 2014
Sound quality is very good and the use of period instruments and a smaller orchestra which drew me to this recording are good too but somehow this feels a bit of a mish mash. The overture has a very fast tempo and attack which in doing so loses Mozartian finesse and elegance and this continues. The singing for me does not engage dramatically and personally. The Da Ponte operas are very much a conversation with the audience and for me this intimate relationship is lacking. It is several rungs below the excellent John Eliot Gardiner recordings of Don Giovanni and Marriage of Figaro

Skins Youth A200 Compression Running Tights - LB
Skins Youth A200 Compression Running Tights - LB
Offered by Millet Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but worth it, 4 July 2013
Just the job for my son's Sunday morning rugby training - especially when the temperature plummets. Hard wearing and warm enough even in Scotland despite not being the thermal version.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit rough, but very comfy, 4 July 2013
Not the smartest shorts on the block and possibly a tad overpriced but very happy with the feel and fit.

El otro barrio
El otro barrio

5.0 out of 5 stars a gritty, compelling and sometime shocking view on life in a Madrid barrio, 2 May 2013
This review is from: El otro barrio (Kindle Edition)
A right of passage story with a difference. A freak accident leads to a boy being accused of killing 2 and injuring 2 more. While at the children's home he discovers more about himself and his identity than he was expecting.

The Shack
The Shack

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Bilge, 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Shack (Kindle Edition)
I was recommended this book by a Christian friend and colleague (I am an atheist) after one of those late night sessions when we were putting the world to rights. For very many scientific and evidential reasons I am sceptical about any sort of God, least of all a personal and interventionist God, and particularly when philosophically, if He/She/It did exist allowing good and saintly people to die in agony of dreadful agony of disease does not say much for His value system. I don't bring in war and torture since Catholics at least have an alibi for God in the form of "Free Will."

My friend thought that this book would very much answer all these questions, and I am more than open-minded about this and would be delighted to be persuaded, but not at the expense of my critical faculties and I am afraid this just doesn't do it.

Firstly there is a cultural difficulty for British readers. It is written in the very simple, folksy, schmaltzy style which seems to be more widely appreciated in the US but just appears dumb or naiive over here. The writing style is very poor indeed, tedious, unsophisticated and generally predictable plot line. Some people rave about it's imagery but overall I would expect my thirteen year old to produce more polished and credible prose than this. The foreward was so bad I almost didn't read any further, but as I had promised I persevered, and in fairness it did get a bit better - but not much.

The first half of the book has a feel like a blend of "The Waltons" and a second rate US cop show, with very ropy dialogue and character studies. The second half having met God and the central character discovering himself and his own and mankind's relationship to God, although it has one or two interesting thoughts, it is more generally reminiscent of "The Wizard of Oz" before subsiding back into Walton's mode at the end. The author endeavours to introduce scientific concepts to underpin the revelations of God that occur, but his scientific understanding is facile and superficial and not in any way convincing to any one with a scientific background.

All in all this is a very poor book and not a good route to discover religion - you'd do better with the apostle Paul or Augustine of Hippo. I guess if you are already a Christian and particularly of an evangelical bent you may very well enjoy it and find it affirming and gives you a warm inner glow. but there you go, each to his own
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2014 11:29 AM GMT

Victorinox - Paring Knife 10cm
Victorinox - Paring Knife 10cm
Offered by Knives Master

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Blade, 7 Sep 2011
We have 4 of these knives, they are really versatile and useful. Unsurprisingly the important thing is the blade which is pretty sharp. Not scalpel sharp, but sharp enough and passes my squishy tomato test (tough skin, squishy centre - a blunt knife just makes a dent and squashes the fruit, a sharp knife will cut thin slices). It holds its edge for a good long while, and when it does lose it regains it within about 4 strokes on a diamond steel. The handle lets it down for me (hence only 4 stars) - cheap plastic and not very ergonomic and feels insubstantial in my male hands, but my wife and daughter don;t see this as a problem and wouldn't mark it down n this respect. And of course it is dishwasher safe. I have better, sharper knives which I never put in a dishwasher, but these are seemingly indestructible. Great value. They are not sexy and you will not lust after them like some of your kitchen stuff but they are a truly reliable workhorse and great value. You won't regret it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2013 2:56 AM GMT

The Rough Guide to Fiji
The Rough Guide to Fiji
by Ian Osborn

3.0 out of 5 stars None the wiser, 25 Nov 2010
We're spending 6 days in Fiji on the way back from NZ in April, and got this to help us choose where to go, but really it's not much cop.

Very limited detail on accommodation. Slightly better on differentiating the islands - in terms of character at least, but given Fiji's situation in mid Pacific prevailing weather and microclimates are critical in making the choice. In both these respects the guide was very poor and the web served us better.

SImilarly, one of the main attractions in Fiji is the scuba - they should have gone into much more detail here.

Anyway we have got ourselves booked up now, and in fairness we did choose the island of Kandavu through their description, although again there is seemingly much more they could have said.

I guess only the experience of having been there will show how good it was in reality.

The Rough Guide to Bolivia (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
The Rough Guide to Bolivia (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
by James Read

3.0 out of 5 stars What about families, 31 Aug 2009
People generally fall into one of two camps Lonely Planet Or Rough Guide. We go for the latter - more in tune with British thinking and more prepared to call a spade a spade. As ever it is pretty well aimed at the gap year brigade rather than 40 somethings with kids 11 and 8 like us, but we expected that and we get the picture. Still plenty to inspire and enthuse. It points out the risks in an informative and low key way so everything is in perspective except the information on rabies is woefully (like 20 years) out of date, and there may be more in the same vein as I go through it. Maybe say more when I get back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2010 7:44 PM BST