Profile for Bagpuss > Reviews

Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape/Strip 5M X 12 mm Very Strong Offcut Offer
Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape/Strip 5M X 12 mm Very Strong Offcut Offer
Offered by Fosseway Tapes & Fixings Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for displaying items on whiteboard, 27 April 2016
This is excellent for my purpose - displaying pictures and cards on a 'magnetic' whiteboard. An A4 card only needs a 12mm square of tape at each top corner, though an additional half square at each bottom corner makes them sit better. Small cards only need one square. The tape cuts easily with ordinary scissors.

Kitchen Craft White Paper Doilies pack of twenty-four
Kitchen Craft White Paper Doilies pack of twenty-four

2.0 out of 5 stars Cream, not white, 22 April 2016
These are cream, not white. The pattern filigree is average, I've seen prettier.

Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape/Strip 2m X 12 mm Magnetic Rubber
Self Adhesive Magnetic Tape/Strip 2m X 12 mm Magnetic Rubber
Offered by Falcon Workshop Supplies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for sticking pictures on whiteboard, 17 April 2016
I'm using this to attach pictures to a 'magnetic' whiteboard (not actually magnetic, just metallic so magnets stick). It's perfect for the job - an A4 card or photo only needs a little square of tape at each corner. In fact it stays up adequately just with the tape at the top corners, but it sits more neatly against the board with all four corners stuck.

Allergenics 200ml Lotion
Allergenics 200ml Lotion

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely lotion in a badly-designed bottle, 21 Dec. 2015
I bought this because I was beginning to suspect that the mineral oil (paraffin) in all prescription moisturisers might be causing me problems. I also know I can't tolerate lanolin and many accepted preservatives, and this has none of those things. This lotion is really pleasant and so far I've seen a slight improvement in my eczema. But it gets four stars because of the bottle design - it's too difficult to get the amount you want out; the bottle is stiff to squeeze and the nozzle is poorly designed so that what you've squeezed out often sucks back in again.

Salter 1150 BKDR Glass Electronic Platform Scale - Black
Salter 1150 BKDR Glass Electronic Platform Scale - Black
Offered by Az1

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and slow, 13 May 2015
I'm disappointed with these, compared to my old Salter scales, which I was replacing after a long and happy life because I thought they were getting inaccurate and slow. These are even slower, and no more accurate.

I like the fact that you can switch these off to save battery.
I like the buttons being on the front where they don't get spills of flour.

In theory I like the fact that they weigh in 1g increments - but they don't really. You weigh your amount, say 30g, you turn round to put the bag of whatever away, and when you look again, it's gone up to 31g (like the petrol pumps that always seem to add 1p while you're stowing the nozzle). So it isn't accurate enough for anything important.

With my old scales, you could zero the reading to add something to the bowl, but with these, pressing zero reads 'tArE' for a few seconds and then goes to zero - much slower than going directly to zero.

I haven't found any use for the mls or fluid ounces settings, because one gram of water is the same as one ml, so it's just a nuisance flicking through those settings to get to the one I want.

There's a curious new facility that tells you what weight you've removed when you take the bowl off the scales - maybe there's someone somewhere who might find this useful for something? I find it very annoying, because when you go to weigh the next thing you have to zero it again (tArE... zero).

Come on, Salter, you can do better than this.

Our Secretive Wildlife: a Photographer's Tale
Our Secretive Wildlife: a Photographer's Tale

5.0 out of 5 stars A little treat for any nature lover, 29 April 2015
This little book is a delightful reward for a small donation to a good cause. The photographs are excellent, and the author's story of how he got into wildlife photography is told with disarming candour and freshness. He includes advice on how to photograph wildlife, and stresses the importance of putting the welfare of the animals first.

The Daily Express: Alphapuzzles 3 (Daily Express Puzzle Books)
The Daily Express: Alphapuzzles 3 (Daily Express Puzzle Books)
by Daily Express

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Codeword puzzles, 16 Feb. 2015
For fans of Codeword puzzles, these are simply the best. They give you one, two or three letters to start you off, depending on how much information the letters give, and a clue to one of the answers. Usually the clue gives too much away, so I ignore it unless I'm really stuck. I love the challenge when you're just given one letter that only occurs a few times! There is quite a high level of vocabulary and I've learnt a few new words, but each puzzle doesn't have more than one of these lesser known words, so you don't get stuck.

Poirot - Complete Season 11 [ 2008 ]
Poirot - Complete Season 11 [ 2008 ]
Dvd ~ David Suchet
Offered by brrsales

4.0 out of 5 stars More tests for the little grey cells, 16 Feb. 2015
As a Poirot fan I was frustrated at never catching Season 11 on the telly so I could record them (Mrs McGinty's Dead, Cat among the Pigeons, Third Girl, Appointment with Death), so I stopped being scrooge and ordered this set to complete my collection. Well worth it! But I must admit I prefer the earlier Poirot with Hastings, Miss Lemon and Chief Inspector Japp - with these later ones I always have the feeling something's missing. But they're great films.

The Complete NIV Audio Bible: Read by David Suchet (MP3 CD) (New International Version)
by New International Version
Edition: MP3 CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent audio Bible, 16 Feb. 2015
David Suchet's voice is just right for reading the Bible, and he achieves the right balance between straight reading and 'acting', putting good expression into speech but not too much into narrative. I'm not a fan of the NIV, preferring a more literal translation for study, but it's very good for reading aloud and I'm loving this recording. There is no music (which I understand spoils many audio Bibles). Suchet reads with a sincerity that comes across, because he respects what he's reading as the word of God. I love Suchet as Poirot, but have no difficulty disassociating his reading voice from the little Belgian, because the accent is so different.

These are MP3 recordings, and you need a modern player to play them, one that specifically says it can read MP3. On my car player I can't find any way to pause a CD, so when I switch on again it goes back to the beginning of the disc, making my hopes of listening while driving unrealistic. On my indoor radio/player I can pause it, then switch off at the player before switching off at the socket, and it will start at the chapter I stopped at. However, if I've switched to radio in between, it starts the disc again, so I have to manually find the chapter I was on (having written it down as I'm unlikely to remember). This is a nuisance, but I presume it's common to all MP3 recordings.

Insight Travel Map: Norway (Insight Travel Maps)
Insight Travel Map: Norway (Insight Travel Maps)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurtigruten, 23 Aug. 2014
This excellent, clear map was bought for a Hurtigruten cruise up the Norway coast, and it actually shows the route of the Hurtigruten mailboat with all its ports of call, adding further interest to our wonderful voyage.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2015 1:14 PM BST