Profile for MyLittleEye > Reviews

Content by MyLittleEye

MyLittleEye (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Domke 1 inch Web Strap for Digital SLR Cameras - Black (Without Swivel)
Domke 1 inch Web Strap for Digital SLR Cameras - Black (Without Swivel)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple understated quality, 9 Jun. 2015
A tidy simple and minimalist strap of fine understated quality.
I'll leave the super comfy fat neoprene straps with colours and clips and zips to the pro's that like to run around with monster lenses, D4's and battery grips etc. This does what needs doing without a fuss, It quietly wraps around my D750 as it's put away without feeling like it wants to sprawl throughout my camera bag. If I have one criticism it's that quality feel of this strap was let down by the little plastic components that keep the strap ends tidy. They were loose and plasticky. I ended up swapping them with the ones on my Nikon strap which seemed marginally more refined.

Xavax 00111513 Microwave Plate Set 6 Pieces
Xavax 00111513 Microwave Plate Set 6 Pieces

1.0 out of 5 stars Lids warp and ceases to stay in place, 9 Jun. 2015
I got these to prepare meals in advance and store in the freezer to microwave later.
As reported by another reviewer, after their first use the lid ceased to fit accurately and now pops off at the slightest touch.
Not fit for purpose as far as I'm concerned.

Phot-R® 2x Professional 43"/109cm 2-in-1 Black/White Studio Collapsible Umbrella with Removable Black Cover
Offered by CameraKing (Shipping from UK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality verstatile brollies, ideal for a first buy or as supplementaries, 9 Jun. 2015
First impressions of these are very good - Time will tell.

I've seen many brollies in my time in the profession, most budget lighting accessories are cheap photo-tat.
These feel sturdy and well made - the centre poles for example are tough; the end is not hollow.

My first impression is that these seem as effective as anything I've used in the past, nothing shoddy about them at all - This is decent kit and if it lives up to it's promise I will certainly buy them again.

Mine is the black/silver plus white inner/shoot-through - The parasol fabric has two layers, both of which unhook from the frame so that the black/silver or white shoot through layers can be used independently - No need for a collection of individual reflective and shoot through umbrellas!
I got the 43" silver set - Most likely I'll supplement these with one or two 33"s of the same as backup.

If using with speedlights, make sure you invest in quality tough brackets and stands to support these, especially the 43" ones. They are satisfyingly weighty so cheap/weak brackets might not be up to the job.

7dayshop Monopod - High Quality Aluminium 4 Section (H170cm) with Shoulder Case
7dayshop Monopod - High Quality Aluminium 4 Section (H170cm) with Shoulder Case
Offered by 7dayshop Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars A simple robust accessory that's just the job - ideal for starting out., 9 Jun. 2015
While I recognised a need for some sort of monopod I didn't want to over invest in an accessory that I suspect will see limited use.
This perfectly meets my need for a no frills camera support - robust enough I think for the light use I have in mind.

It is light weight - reasonably so.
The foot spike/rubber has a standard screw so should take a stand accessory.
It's sturdy enough to take reasonable downward force.

If there's one con, the clips seem entirely plastic with no apparent way to tighten them if they wear out and slip.

Depending on how it performs I can decide later whether to upgrade but I suspect it will meet my needs for some time to come.

HEAVY DUTY MILITARY GREEN CANVAS ARMY KIT BAG/HOLDALL
HEAVY DUTY MILITARY GREEN CANVAS ARMY KIT BAG/HOLDALL
Offered by Kids Army Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Kit Bag - Old - Trouble's packing up - Smiling, for the use of..., 22 April 2015
This was the first thing that came to mind when I sought a solution to consolidate my photo gear. I'm ex-mil so I know how much punishment these old kit bags can take. It is such ubiquitous bit of kit that can be purposed to so many applications. Mine is now filled with photo lighting stands, umbrellas and tripods. Two of the stands are unusually long, I leave an opposite ring unfastened to allowing the stands to protrude about 5"; still a tidy solution - "Standard" sized stands and my Benbo1 and trekker tripods all fit inside comfortably. These will never change with fashion so over the years I will be able to get more for backgrounds, props and storage as and when required. Great for 'deployment' in the field for projects and such like.

They are incredibly robust, however I've seen someone here complain of the top strap breaking...
The only way I could see the top strap breaking is if you neglect to thread the T shaped metal connector through the brass rings - that would put the full weight of the load on just an inch and a half of stitching! - It's tough stitching but weak compared to the bags full capability. With the brass rings properly looped over the (upside down) T bar the load becomes evenly distributed through the whole canvas. It's important to hook the clip to the tip of the T *with at least the closest ring looped onto it* Otherwise the canvas tab is likely to fail under heavy load since it's just there to keep the T bar in place, not to support the load. The bag doesn't come with instructions so it's an easy enough mistake to make - look closely at the picture to see how it should be done - Used properly this bag is pretty much indestructible; you could smuggle a pig in it!

Crocs Mammoth Unisex Clog Brown Chocolate/Chocolate 9 UK
Crocs Mammoth Unisex Clog Brown Chocolate/Chocolate 9 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider ordering a size up from normal for a relaxed fit over socks rather than 'snug' over bare feet..., 18 April 2015
Having read reviews before I got these I was aware that there could be an issue with them being a little small.
I'm size 8, my father size 9. I got a pair of 9's for him for christmas and they seemed to fit 'a little too snugly' so I got him 10's and kept the 9's for myself. With time they have loosened up slightly, I wear them with socks and they are fine and toasty. We are both happy with the relaxed fit we get from upsizing a size from our normal fit.

Pilot Super Colour Fine Marker - Silver
Pilot Super Colour Fine Marker - Silver
Offered by AONESTATIONERY

4.0 out of 5 stars "Fine" is still quite thick. Try super fine for fine line work., 18 April 2015
I've been using it for writing on glass spice bottles. However my original purpose for getting it was to re-write the labels on an electric toaster (they'd been almost completely wiped off the first time I cleaned it with just a damp sponge!) Unfortunately, although the pen is labelled "Fine" it was still way too thick and blobby for this purpose (2-3mm wide) and I will have to try a super fine version instead.

kenable ADSL 2+ High Speed Broadband Modem Cable RJ11 to RJ11 - 2m
kenable ADSL 2+ High Speed Broadband Modem Cable RJ11 to RJ11 - 2m
Offered by kenable_ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium quality components bring peace of mind, 18 April 2015
I got these whilst troubleshooting an ADSL 2+ connection issue - First thing to do was to check the connections...
I had two cables and two filters already but they were all the super cheap "free" components provided by my ISP.
I'd already determined one filter to be dodgy and decided to replace everything with new premium quality hardware.
This cable paired with an ASDL Nation filter provided a noticeably more robust connection both in terms of performance and of physical quality.
Cheap freebie components are an unknown quantity; there comes a certain peace of mind from knowing you've given your connection signal optimum opportunity to pass between the modem and the exchange.

BT 2WIRE WIRELESS HOME HUB 1800HG BLACK BY IT-BITS
BT 2WIRE WIRELESS HOME HUB 1800HG BLACK BY IT-BITS
Offered by NORMANS OFFICE

2.0 out of 5 stars Beyond 3-4km from your exchange then this ADSL router potentially performs about as well as a pricier ADSL2+ router (1to 6mb/s), 23 Mar. 2015
Reviewing in 2015 - This router is OLD tech - however I recently dusted mine off when I was having problems with my state of the art TP-Link ADSL2+ router failing to sustain a connection.
In desperation I fetched this one down from the attic. It quickly connected in plain old ADSL (g.dmt) mode and established a rock solid connection.
Being the old ADSL it is limited to about 6Mb/s max download but if you're a long way from an exchange that might be more than ADSL2+ can deliver over a long line anyway - It certainly met my needs in an emergency.
in terms of wifi broadcasting strength this has the best Wifi signal strength of all my routers by a small margin of about 5db (10%) in the same room.

There are plenty of more up to date routers out there but this could be a budget solution for those users in excess of 3km from their exchange beyond which ADSL2 loses it's speed advantage.

Black & Decker AS6NG 6V Cordless Screwdriver
Black & Decker AS6NG 6V Cordless Screwdriver
Offered by AquaFusion

4.0 out of 5 stars A 'must have' for any toolbox., 18 Mar. 2015
The assistant in Homebase saw me looking at electric screwdrivers and showed me these on special offer at the end of the aisle.
He thought this was great value because it equalled the performance of models many times the price. Like me, he also valued the fact that it uses AA's instead of exotic proprietary lithium ion cells. This was my first ever electric screwdriver and I was delighted at how it made short work of assembling a small shed; so much so that I curse myself for not having ever owned one before!

Only with 1.5v alkalines such as Duracell or Energiser will you achieve 6 volts. Most rechargeables are rated 1.2 volts which give 4.8 volts total.
Either way I've always found this screwdriver to be up to the job. I use Vapex low self discharge AAs which are well regarded alternatives to the much pricier Eneloop cells. If I were to work on a day long project I'd start the day with two sets fully charged and keep a fast charger on hand.
I can't imagine power being a problem for typical home DIY since I completed my shed in an afternoon with no noticeable power loss.

The linear profile of this design allows it to fit neatly in the top tray of my toolbox.
My Homebase version came with six bits and I would give it 5 stars for that. However the 2 bits provided here seem less than adequate; it's important to match the bit to the screw so's not to damage the screwhead. If, like mine, your toolbox is already littered with such bits it will be less of an issue - this takes the standard size

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4