Profile for Mr. J. E. ROUSE > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. E. ROUSE

Mr. J. E. ROUSE "loomx" (Hampshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Ed Byrne - Different Class - Live [DVD] [2009]
Ed Byrne - Different Class - Live [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Ed Byrne
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Great gig, where's the audience?, 26 Nov. 2009
I saw this show earlier in the year and when the opportunity came to watch it again I thought it would be worth it. Ed's jokes are top notch as always. My question is why can't I hear the audience applauging or laughing? At first I thought that they were just a rubbish audience in need of a slap to get them rolling but as the show went on nothing changed. My thinking is that either the audience were rubbish or whoever filmed the DVD did not set up the microphones on the audience properly. As a result it suffers, unjustly. There are massive pauses between jokes which makes it looks like he was waiting for laughs that did not exist. But the footage of the audience says they were laughing, I just could not hear it.

A real shame about this one. Hopefully this is a little nit-picky argument of mine that does not spoil the enjoyment for you. Rock on Ed's next tour!

Sporting Gaffes (BBC Audio)
Sporting Gaffes (BBC Audio)
by John Inverdale
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, the memories..., 26 May 2009
When I was a little guy we had this on tape and we always listened to it in the car, wherever we went. I was maybe six(ish) years old and thought it was brilliant. Now, listening to it all over again I laughed at where I had and at new jokes (the ruder ones).

For those who are not entirely sure what this is, it's a collection of mistakes made pre-recorded and live on air. It is so funny I cannot begin to describe and even if I do I can never to it justice. Highlights include British football commentators suffer a series of unfortunate events, foreign football commentators going crazy, a recording of a sports reporter in a race/rally car and a collection of Brian Johnston's stories and mistakes.

A hearty recommondation to sports fans, those who have a long car journey coming up and everyone else to fancies a laugh. Because even if you do not care for sport at all, you will laugh.

One thing I will say is that there was a sequal to this (that is being re-released in September) and as a result I cannot remember if some of the clips missing from this CD actually are missing and this is an abridged edition or whether the missing clips are not actually missing and they are just on the other CD. I point this out because one of my favourite moments are the race horse results with the horses "Lord Podgsky", "Roger the Butler" and "Lord Spuffington". This is not on this CD but it may be on the next one. I hope it is. But this CD still is one of the funniest things ever commited to tape.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2009 3:58 PM BST

American Dad! - Volume 4 [DVD]
American Dad! - Volume 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seth MacFarlane

4.0 out of 5 stars American Dad keeps on going, but beware..., 4 May 2009
Having been a fan of American Dad ever since Family Guy changed, in my opinion it was for the worse, I loved the first season. My initial fears were that American Dad would go the same way as Family Guy ("Just like the time...", over-extended jokes, the characters becoming more bland - just to name a few problems) but season 4 (or "volume" as the box would have us believe) is still the same great show. I could name a few problems (like the lessons that are learnt at the end of nearly every episode and the secondary plotlines getting in the way of the main plotline, blah blah), but all you have to know is that the gags are still there and they are as witty as ever. For whatever reason you loved American Dad it has been brought into this season as well.

My only real issue that I do bring up seriously and which brings my rating down to 4 stars is that the writing team seem to think that rape jokes are really funny. I kid you not they try to make rape jokes, maybe not actually about a woman getting raped as such but it's enough to make me uncomfortable (and I'm as anti-PC as you can get). I don't know what the general opinion of this is but this is my opinion.

Let the laughter continue...

Jakob The Liar [DVD] [1999]
Jakob The Liar [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Robin Williams
Offered by WorldCinema

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 18 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Jakob The Liar [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
Lovely is the only word I can think of to describe this film. It is a film that tries to balance tragedy and humour and pulls it off fairly well (although I think the ending gets the balance wrong).

I usually do not like these sorts of films, wherein the protagonist lies and keeps on lying even though the consequences etc etc. My reasoning is that in the end the protagonist learns his lesson (e.g. Shark Tale, which I hated). This film differs from this usual formula however. The genre of the film and the way the ending is pulled off make this film stand out and bearable, if not really enjoyable. After all, it's a touching tale about everyone becoming excited about something as simple as a radio.

The acting in this is really good. Robin Williams and Hannah Taylor Gordon are two of the names I can remember but the rest of the cast all give their best possible performance (although I question the directoral decision to have (I think it is) Mr Frankfurter hop about is house when he is angry was a mistake).

Overall, it is a really touching, good holocaust film that for me really worked. I should also point out that I have not seen the other East German one so I cannot compare. My opinion is based on viewing this film alone.

Hulk [DVD] [2003]
Hulk [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Eric Bana
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what you'd expect, 18 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Hulk [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
The key to understanding this film is not to see it as a superhero film but to watch it as a sort of thriller (maybe not a thriller but that is all I can think of right now) with superhero elements. This however requires the audience to actually think so that's why it did not do as good as it deserves to.

Also, this film is less corney than the 2008 Hulk film. That was ruined when Banner said "It has to be me".

The Penguin Complete Sherlock Holmes
The Penguin Complete Sherlock Holmes
by Arthur Conan Doyle

3.0 out of 5 stars Great material, shame about the book, 18 Jan. 2009
What can be said about the greatness of Sherlock Holmes has already been said. So I'd just like to mention the book as a physical book.

I feel that this edition makes for hard reading. I say this because the font is miniscule. This makes it a little frustrating to read. If this does not bother you then go ahead and buy it.

Other than that, a fantastic read. (I rate the content 5 stars).
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2011 6:08 PM GMT

The Diary of Anne Frank - Complete BBC Series [DVD]
The Diary of Anne Frank - Complete BBC Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ellie Kendrick
Offered by All We Ever Look For

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant piece of drama, 13 Jan. 2009
The other reviewers have already said what has to be said. Fine acting, amazingly well adapted and it has a sense of realism. So I shall compare this adaptation to the one that was done a few years ago; the link to whoch can be found here:

Anne Frank

Ultimatly it boils down to taste. There is little difference between them other than the other one shows what happened after they were arrested. Otherwise they are both really moving and brilliantly adapted. It could be argued that the other one pushes for dramatic effect in favour of historical accuracy but that is so minimal it does not trully matter.

I would also like to add that this adaptation put Anne on the screen to us in the way I imagined she was. By this I mean that she thinks no one understands her but she it just going through what all teenagers go through. I am glad the BBC did not gloss over that to paint her as some perfect goddess but they showed her flaws, which is what makes it work.

Well done to the BBC. If this does not win some awards it won't just be me who will complain.

Anne Frank (2001) [DVD]
Anne Frank (2001) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Kingsley

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 4 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Anne Frank (2001) [DVD] (DVD)
This is probably the best adaptation there is of the Anne Frank story. I say that, there is a new one on BBC coming out so I shall wait for that but until then I'd recommend this one.
Most of the other reviewers have already said what has to be said about this DVD so I shall just add that I think that it is a shame that this film does not have extracts of the diary narrated. It's a small point but important. But since I have rated this 5 stars anyway it is still really powerful and I'll say that even the most manly of men (me being one of them) will be moved by this stunning film. If they are not then I wouldn't boast about it.
This DVD does have some historical inaccuracies, blah blah, but those are so small that all you have to do is remember that we still do not know who betrayed Anne Frank and look on wikipedia for the rest. It really does not spoil the film.
I know this has already been mentioned (if it hasn't then I'll be the first to say it), Hannah Taylor-Gordon's acting really makes all the difference. I'm surprised we have not seen more of her. Fingers crossed we will though

And another note, this DVD is nicely cheap (at least it is at the time of writing this)so even if you are still undecided then take this opportunity and get it. You will not regret it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2009 8:44 PM GMT

My Word is My Bond: The Autobiography
My Word is My Bond: The Autobiography
by Roger Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book, 7 Oct. 2008
This book is what an autobiography should be. It tells his life story from his point of view with his interpretations on his work, people and loctations he has visited. Some moments make you laugh, his schoolboy jokes on set (I liked the Moonraker story) and some moments make you sad such as the David Niven story. It has regenerated in the Moore period of Bond and I will be watching those films again. It is not too hard to read so it is for all ages which also makes it ideal for traveling to, a great read on a plane or boat.

Overall, this book is a great read and a great insight into the legend that is Roger Moore.

Red Mandarin Dress (Inspector Chen)
Red Mandarin Dress (Inspector Chen)
by Qiu Xiaolong

4.0 out of 5 stars Back on top form, 21 Sept. 2008
I have read all of the Inspector Chen stories so far. Death of a red heroine was a strong book and "A loyal character dancer" was as well. "When red is black" started to loose momentum (Chen was not even involved in the case) and "A case of two cities" lost it all completly. The whole case of anti corruption ends abrubtly with no tension built before hand to be relieved Which brings me to "Red mandarin dress".

This books picks up the old spirit of the first. I could not put the book down because I wanted to discover who the killer was. Admittedly the climax was not the best but over all this book is possibly the best in the series and a good thriller in general. This would be the one I would recommend for people who do not want to read all of the books. Lets hope that Qiu Xiaolong does not repeat the mistakes he made and writes another edge-of-the-seat, complex thriller

Page: 1 | 2