Profile for A_Roper > Reviews

Joyeux Noel [DVD] [2006]
Joyeux Noel [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Diane Kruger

4.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Film, 7 Feb 2007
This review is from: Joyeux Noel [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Joyeux Noel is a beautiful and somewhat haunting film, yet at the same time a hopeful one. I do not think you will regret watching it.

Although it may have been intended to be an anti-war movie, no comparison can be made between today's war and World War One. WW1 was not a justified war and was a result of misunderstandings as I believe this movie does a very good job of portraying. It was a great human tragedy (as all wars are). But today, there ARE fundamental differences between the worldview and moral values of us and our enemies that are not made up. The values of the West, the values that brought about the Christmas truce in this film's story, are worth defending.

In the end, Joyeux Noel is, no matter what you believe about its message, a film that will leave you contemplating life with all its joys and horrors.

Battlefield Britain : The Complete BBC Series [DVD]
Battlefield Britain : The Complete BBC Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dan Snow

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Series, 16 Jan 2007
I started watching this series and couldn't stop. It is informative as well as entertaining which makes it great for the historian as well as the one who doesn't like history. With great graphics, Peter and Dan Snow bring the battles to life. (I have heard some complaints about the 3-D head graphics. Maybe it's just because I'm a girl, but I like to see what the people fighting might have looked like!) This series is a wonderful approach to military history and I REALLY recommend it!

Sophie Scholl - The Final Days [2005] [DVD]
Sophie Scholl - The Final Days [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julia Jentsch

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Film, 27 Nov 2006
This film about Sophie Scholl, a member of a student group that dared to stand up to the Nazis, is a film that will certainly move you. Wonderfully acted and filmed, this film is real, not Hollywood. You will never forget how these young people stood up for what was right and you will ask yourself whether you could do the same. This film is one (and there are not many I would say this about) that you cannot miss seeing.

Beowulf: A New Translation
Beowulf: A New Translation
by Seamus Heaney

5.0 out of 5 stars A translation that fits the story, 1 Nov 2006
Beowulf is an exciting tale and this fast-paced and wonderful translation allows modern readers to explore the story in all of its glory. I first had to read Beowulf as an assignment and was skeptical about reading a story written so long ago. Fortunately, I picked up this translation by Seamus Heaney. As a result I have discovered the wonderful world of medieval literature and it's all thanks to this book. Buy it and read it. Who knows, maybe you'll discover that you've been missing out on a really great thing.

Trafalgar: The Biography of a Battle
Trafalgar: The Biography of a Battle
by Roy Adkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting!, 13 Jun 2006
This book is so exciting! It contains so much information about the navy of the era as well as the important naval battle of Trafalgar. I could not put this book down after I started reading it. I recommend it!

The Guns of August: The Pulitzer Prize-Winning Classic about the Outbreak of World War I
by Barbara W Tuchman
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars The Guns of August, 19 April 2006
This book is a highly readable account of the beginning of World War One. Tuchman brings to life the tumultuous and tenuous state of Europe in 1914 which erupted into the "Great War". I do recommend reading this book with Geoffrey Wawro's excellent short history of the Franco-Prussian War(the war that preceeded WW1) for a better historical perspective.