Profile for daisy chain45 > Reviews

Nurse at the Trenches: Letters Home From A World War One Nurse
Nurse at the Trenches: Letters Home From A World War One Nurse
by Agnes Warner

5.0 out of 5 stars a real eyeopener, 3 Jun 2005
This is a very interesting account of a Red Cross Nurse's experiences during World War One. Although they are 'letters', they read just like an account of the action.
Certainly Miss Warner's obvious love for the French troops in the trenches or the 'Poilus' as she calls them, shines through every page.
I have read quite a few nurse war books, but I found this to be quite an eye opener, as I had not realised some of the nurses worked quite so hard as they did. Well recommended!

The Nurse's Calling: Practical Hints to Graduate Nurses in the Early 1900's
The Nurse's Calling: Practical Hints to Graduate Nurses in the Early 1900's
by Harriet Camp Lounsbery RN

5.0 out of 5 stars a really quaint fun nurse book, 2 Jun 2005
This is a really gorgeous book, I bought one for me, and then promptly bought another one to give to a nurse friend who has just qualified. The original antique pictures on the cover are really fun, and some of the advice given in the book is so very dated it is very amusing without meaning to be.
However, saying that, the parts about Nursing being a calling, that should not be undertaken lightly or with a bad attitude, in my opinion is very true...although the author, influenced strongly by Florence Nightingale (who wasn't at the time??!!), goes a little over the top in saying the nurse must never grumble or complain but be heroic, considering her calling so high that she must consider her own needs and suffering to be insignificant!

A War Nurse's Diary: Sketches From A Belgian Field Hospital
A War Nurse's Diary: Sketches From A Belgian Field Hospital
by A World War 1 Nurse

5.0 out of 5 stars very moving account, 1 Jun 2005
I found this title particuarly interesting as my Aunt served as a nurse during World War One, winning a Red Cross medal for her bravery, and as I was reading about this author's experiences I kept asking myself, 'I wonder if she and my aunt ever met?'
This is a very moving account and I loved the story about the little dog 'Bombe' the nursing staff found amongst the ruins and adopted. I also liked the fact that this nurse was a bit of a rebel, and didn't always do as she was told..she had a mind of her own and confessed she and a friend were sometimes 'naughty' and sneaked off to ride on the officer's horses! You go, girl!
I loved the account of the nurses continuing to play hide and seek amongst the ambulances on Christmas day, despite heavy shelling by the Germans - I guess they wanted to be caught by the ambulance drivers who were chasing them waving bits of mistletoe!

More Pictures of Health: Hospitals and Nursing on Old Picture Postcards
More Pictures of Health: Hospitals and Nursing on Old Picture Postcards
by Cynthia O'Neill

5.0 out of 5 stars a good sequel, 19 April 2005
This is a sequel without being repetitive..it compliments the other book 'A Picture of health' very well and makes a great coffee table item. Interesting without being heavy and overly 'historical' as it just has lighthearted comments with each picture.

Memoirs of a Soldier, Nurse and Spy: A Woman's Adventures in the Union Army
Memoirs of a Soldier, Nurse and Spy: A Woman's Adventures in the Union Army
by Sarah Edmonds
Price: 13.84

4.0 out of 5 stars exciting stuff but..., 19 April 2005
I found the first two thirds of this book exciting and very interesting, the author certainly was a brave lady who played a significant part in the Civil War (masquerading as a man). Just how significant is open to debate as some historians say her claims are embroidered.
Anyway, I started to lose interest towards the end of the book as it got a bit weighed down with factual information such as letters from Generals etc about the Civil War, which I am inclined to think the author added to add weight to her elaborated claims about her involvement as a spy! Regardless it is an exciting read, and a good historical account of battles during the Civil War.

The Nightingale Sisters: The Making of a Nurse in 1800's America
The Nightingale Sisters: The Making of a Nurse in 1800's America
by Rosalind Franklin
Price: 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting reading, 19 April 2005
This is not a 'heavy' historical book, it is very easy to read, and gives some very interesting accounts of British and American nursing during the 1800's. It talks quite a lot about Florence Nightingales' Influence on the Nursing Schools starting up in the USA.
I really liked the engravings, as well as the personal accounts given by nurses of their days and nights on duty. There is quite a lot of 1800's British nursing recruitment advice in there as well, which is very funny. Well recommended!

Secrets Of The Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect and Communicate with your Baby
by Tracy Hogg
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars down to earth practical good advice, 5 April 2005
This is an excellent book that I would recommend for any new Mum. Old fashioned advice that works, and helps Mum be in control instead of Baby. However I've only given this book 4 stars instead of 5 stars as sometimes Tracy Hogg's advice is overly simplistic...it could make Mum feel a failure if she can't get the EASY routine to patt in the time schedules Hogg mentions. As much as Mum's may try, not all baby's will settle into eating once only every four hours. However Hogg's actual routine is brilliant, just don't be too rigid with it and you and baby will be fine. See my reviews for other good baby books and my listmania!

When Matron Ruled
When Matron Ruled
by Peter Ardern

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but...., 4 April 2005
This review is from: When Matron Ruled (Hardcover)
This book is interesting for nursing historians, but I felt that the writer's style makes it slightly hard going to read and stuffy in places. I certainly could not read it all in one sitting, neither would I want to, unlike some books. Please see my list for my reviews of other nurse history titles.

Baby Lore: Superstitions and Old Wives Tales from the World Over Related to Pregnancy, Birth and Babycare
by Rosalind Franklin
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars hours of fun reading!, 18 Mar 2005
This is a wonderful book that will guarantee hours of fun for all mums or midwives. It had all the nursing colleagues at my hospital in stitches! It would make a fanastic baby shower gift for any expectant mum.
This is packed full of superstitions that I have never ever heard before, so its thoroughly original as well as well as being very well-researched.
What I most liked about it was that it was very easy to read, full of just the beliefs and superstitions rather than lost of boring drivel text.