Profile for Mr. P. J. Morris > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. J. Morris

Mr. P. J. Morris "Peter J Morris"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
First Contact: Conversations with an ET
First Contact: Conversations with an ET
by Tom T. Moore
Edition: Perfect Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating and engaging read!, 6 Dec 2013
First Contact is one of those books that offers a refreshing insight into a subject that - for very good reasons, is associated with the lost and lonely.

Whilst, after reading it, one might still doubt the possibility of ET contact later in the coming decade it is the sheer minutiae of detail related to ET and UFO existence that makes this book such a rich read. As you progress through its pages a detailed image presents itself of the greater plan that the higher forces have for this planet and how they will inevitably be brought into play through the process of human development.

As a student of the Sirius mysteries I found this book to be fascinating and full of important details that have increased my understanding of the star system and the beings that frequent it.

First Contact is a book that stands out in a crowded genre and I thoroughly look forward to a follow up by channeller Tom T Moore.

[Review copy kindly supplied by Light Technology Publishing]

Samsung 256GB 830 SSD SATA 6GBPS 2.5 inch Basic Kit
Samsung 256GB 830 SSD SATA 6GBPS 2.5 inch Basic Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars A review - one year on from purchase, 4 Nov 2013
But for a small handful of days I originally purchased and installed this drive one year ago. Given that it is still in daily use I thought it might be useful to comment on its performance on this, its first anniversary.

This was the first SSD hard drive that I had purchased and so did not know what to expect from it. I wanted to upgrade my Apple MacBook Pro 15' laptop and decided that as speed was more of a consideration that space this Samsung 256Gb SSD SATA drive might be the way to go. I have used a couple of Samsung 2Gb hard drives in my server and have been pleased with their performance over the past two years so felt confident in going ahead and buying this one.

The fitting and formatting of the drive was easy and I soon had a fresh copy of OS X installed on my machine. The most notable difference I initially found was that you actually get a full 256Gb of drive and do not lose 10% as most other drives due to bad sectors.

The second notable feature was the sheer speed of boot up which was dramatically reduced. Other reviewers of this product have commented on this in a great depth so I shall not cover their ground.

As for performance - well, the laptop is a work and home machine that gets constant and heavy use for up to 16 hours a day - every day. Not once has the drive failed me or thrown up any errors during this time. I understand that the life span of SSDs are not as great as traditional drives so I still expect that it will fail one day. Until then I keep a regular Super Duper back of the drive to an external USB drive in preparation for any unexpected eventuality but, like I say this wonderful drive has not let me down once so far.

A highly recommended drive for medium to low storage requirements.

We're Here Because We're Here (Media Book Edition)
We're Here Because We're Here (Media Book Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars A slightly flawed edition of a great album, 4 Nov 2013
From a musical perspective everything that needs to be said about this album has been said by other reviewers. It is a wonderful musical tour de force that lifts the spirits and energises the emotions upon every listen.

I actually bought this particular 'Media Book Edition' mainly because of its presentation but also because of its included 5.1 mix version.

However, whilst the packaging is attractive and worth the extra money I was not overly blown away by the 5.1 mix on disc 2. Whilst it did sound 'spacious' it did not have that really expansive feel about that say Floyds' Dark Side of the Mooon has. In fact I much preferred the ambiance of the standard stereo mix in my car's entertainment system than the 5.1 mix on my home cinema system.

Nevertheless, this does not detract from the fact that this is a wonderful album with some very deep themes and this edition includes lyrics within its booklet which adds to the listening experience.

The Works of Aleister Crowley [Three Volumes]
The Works of Aleister Crowley [Three Volumes]
by Aleister Crowley

3.0 out of 5 stars A complete - if not robust, collection of Thelemic material, 4 Nov 2013
This book is a reprint of the original three-volume set of Crowley material that was first published around the turn of the 20th century. It is in fact a reproduction of the original and as such has been reproduced with its original and authentic typeface.

It is a monster of a book that weights in at a massive 800+ pages and as such is a challenge to read! I think it would have been better to have republished the original, and much more manageable, three-volume set and possibly with a more robust binding than this one.

Nevertheless the book delivers in the sense that you have access to a great deal of otherwise not commonly published material by Crowley - the quality of which is often debatable, but all the same it is all there and offers an important addition to Thelemic collectors at a reasonable price.

Original Album Classics
Original Album Classics
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Remedy for Tired Ears, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
I first started listening to rock music way back in the mid-1960s and have enjoyed listening to a wide range of musical styles over the decades.

Sadly, my ears have grow very tired recently with the sheer lack not of good music but of innovative music - the sort of sounds that cause tired ears to prick up and get excited again - in a way they once did after hearing early Pink Floyd, The Doors or Genesis!

This collection of superb albums by a group I knew nothing about until being recommended to me by Amazon after purchasing some stuff by Amplifier.

Goodness me it has come as a revelation for these are a set of albums that, once you put a little effort into as a listener, reward time and again.

Categorising the musical style of Anathema is a tricky business but if you are just a music lover like me then this collection may well end up being some of the finest rock music you will ever have in your collection.

A wonderful, mid-price but no-frills collection of Anathema classics that is well worth every penny it costs to buy!

The Secret Life of a Satanist: The Authorized Biography of Anton Lavey: The Authorised Biography of Anton Lavey
by Blanche Barton

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rarity!, 3 Nov 2013
There are very few entertaining - or even readable, autobiographies by occultists. I can only really think of a couple that I have read that I would recommend (Maybe 'Meetings With Remarkable Men' and 'Confessions of Aleister Crowley' are two worth checking out). It seems that whilst the practice of magick can be exciting very often the same cannot be said of the people who practice it!

'The Secret Life of a Satanist' is without doubt a refreshing exception for it tells the story of a man who really cared little about what the world thought of him - he just got on living his life the way that he thought was right for him. As a result he had a story to tell and irrespective of what you thought about his brand of Satanism (which personally I failed to find the slightest bit offensive) his character and persona shone through and touched everyone he associated with. Sure, like all magickians, he made a few enemies along the way but that is invariably the way for any one who carves their own niche through life!

This book is a great read and offers a wonderful example to us all that life is meant to be lived and not spent pontificating ..... having said which I shall now shut up and shove off! Recommended!

Universal
Universal

5.0 out of 5 stars A Highly Crafted Performance, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Universal (Audio CD)
As this live performance shows Anathema are, visually speaking, not the most entertaining band in the world - though the lead singer, Vincent Cavanagh, has undoubtedly a powerful stage presence - one that carries this performance along admirably.

However, on 'Universal' the band's stripped down presence enables the sheer power and magnificence of their music to shine through. There are no clever visual effects, on-stage pyrotechnics on display here - just a simple and majestic display of raw, emotive power. This prog rock without the pretentiousness or bloated egocentricity usually associated with the genre.

Anathema are such an under-rated band its heart-aching for a fan to understand why they are not mentioned with the same regard as Pink Floyd or Yes. Maybe its because they do not conform to any set ideas of what rock music should be about. I saw as many musical references in this performance to The Cure and Echo and the Bunnymen as any tired old 70s prog rockers in my ageing vinyl collection.

All in all the setting for Universal was wonderful, the audience was so appreciative and the music so elevating that this is a DVD that should be classed as essential viewing. Its the only band I have ever watched who have played two different versions of the same song in one concert and for them each to sound equally good!

Creative Visualization For Dummies
Creative Visualization For Dummies
by Robin Nixon

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Distillation of Creative Visulalisation Techniques, 3 Nov 2013
If you ever thought that the secret to getting what you want in life is simply to imagine it then by the end of some 400 pages of instruction in this book your preconceptions will be well and truly dashed!

I have practised creative visualisation for a couple of decades and whilst it can bring tangible, long-term benefits and effects these are often difficult to predict. As the book shows, this is not an exact science but is one that is based upon one's own internal psychological profile - the primary one being your sub-conscious belief system and whether its orientation is in accordance with your aims. Very often they are not and so you need to get this sorted out in order for techniques such as visualisation and affirmations to work successfully.

I did not learn a great deal that was new to me from this book - which is not to say it is a poor book, its just that I have read a lot of other, related material.

Nevertheless, if you are new to the subject then 'Creative Visualisation for Dummies' offers a very expansive look at every facet of this fascinating subject. I would say though that newcomers to the subject should not expect fast, nor immediate, results after following the exercises contained within its pages. Like so many other spiritual disciplines it requires hard work and effort before the results start to come to you but there is probably no better book on the market today than this one to guide you through.

By the end of your probationary period you will find that by using the advice outlined in its pages you will find many areas of your life have notably improved - even though you may still be some way away from realising your initial visualisation goals.

It is still worth the time, money and effort to achieve this much though!

FULL SPECTRUM FLOOR STANDING NATURAL SAD LIGHT THERAPY LAMP
FULL SPECTRUM FLOOR STANDING NATURAL SAD LIGHT THERAPY LAMP

4.0 out of 5 stars After a few months of use...., 3 Nov 2013
Reviews of products tend to be a little more useful once the item has been in use for sometime so I thought I would add my take on this lamp after some five months use.

Due to the limitations of natural light in my office I have used this light every day at my desk. I have found that this creates a better light for long-term computer work than many of the more traditional types that I have used.

In fact the softness of this lamp tends to offset the glare of the computer monitor and has resulted in less eyestrain than I might normally expect.

As others have mentioned the construction of this item is neither simple nor particularly stable. I also found the same to be true but the tall, free-standing lamp has not failed me in this regard during the time that I have used it - though that said I have not had to move it around very much.

So then, would I buy another of these natural light lamps?

The answer is that after my experience with it so far I would definitely say yes. After a lot of use the bulb is still going strong and I have not yet had to replace it but when it does I shall not hesitate to get it replaced. All in all it was a very good buy and I look forward to seeing its therapy effects during this coming dark winter months. So far they have been quite notable.

Rednock School
Rednock School
by Barbara Skal

3.0 out of 5 stars Memories of a Chaotic Time!, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Rednock School (Paperback)
Way back in 1971 when the pupils of Dursley Modern School and Dursley Grammar School were brought together under one educational experiment the chaos and confusion was palpable during those early months. Darn it - the school buildings had not even been completed with large parts of the school being little more than a muddy construction site!

Today, the school is quite a different place from the chaotic mess that we had to cope with and David Evans has done a good job in charting its progress and development over the decades. There are some great early photos of the early pioneers at Rednock - some great teachers and some not so good ones who contributed to the atmosphere and character of the place.

I would have liked to have seen a greater emphasis in the book placed upon some of the clubs and societies that really gave the school its name back in the 1970s and 1980s. These were often the cement (no pun intended) that held the school together at a time when even the lights and heating could be turned off at a moments notice due to the impact of the coalminers and railway workers strikes of the early 1970s.

A good trip down memory lane and a well-presented tribute to the hard work of those earlier Rednock teachers who were set on making the experiment work.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10